• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If I said "Amiibo tournament", what would you expect?

DarkSlayerKi

Smash Rookie
Basically, what the title says. I host amiibo tournaments in the DFW area, and am looking to expand the size of our next tourney to 32 people, but I'm relatively new to the smash community and I need some guidance. If I just walked up to you and said "amiibo tournament, cash prizes" what would it take for you to enter? What rules would you expect or want?

We currently have a stream, youtube channel, and facebook, so if you're in the DFW area and want to join, you can hit us up there (Amiibo Fighting Tournament - Dallas).

D

Deleted member 269706

When I hear "Amiibo tourney", I think of Amiibos fighting against other Amiibos. The problem with this idea is that people want to fight for themselves, not watch their amiibo win, it's so much less glorious to see your toy win, than to win yourself. On top of this, a lot of tournaments have fee's to join, and I would never put money into something that I don't have control over. If I'm going to lose, I want it to be by my own mistakes, not that of a CPU. I respect the idea, but for me personally it just isn't something I would be interested in.

DarkSlayerKi

Smash Rookie
When I hear "Amiibo tourney", I think of Amiibos fighting against other Amiibos. The problem with this idea is that people want to fight for themselves, not watch their amiibo win, it's so much less glorious to see your toy win, than to win yourself. On top of this, a lot of tournaments have fee's to join, and I would never put money into something that I don't have control over. If I'm going to lose, I want it to be by my own mistakes, not that of a CPU. I respect the idea, but for me personally it just isn't something I would be interested in.
Awesome! This is actually super useful feedback. Do you own any amiibo and if so, have you trained any to level 50?
When I first did the tourney, there was a lot of "lets see how entertaining this is" but people ended up getting really into it because we spent time training them ourselves. Thanks for the reply! :D

D

Deleted member 269706

Awesome! This is actually super useful feedback. Do you own any amiibo and if so, have you trained any to level 50?
When I first did the tourney, there was a lot of "lets see how entertaining this is" but people ended up getting really into it because we spent time training them ourselves. Thanks for the reply! :D
Unfortunately no, I don't. I was planning on getting a Rosalina or Ike, but I don't really play anything but online mode, so I didn't see the point.
And that's actually a good point you bring up about people getting into it. I wanted to specify that everything I wrote in my reply was exclusive to me, I can't really speak for anyone else when it comes to this discussion. I'm positive there are people out there who would love to participate in an event such as this. I suppose if entry was free, and the event as a whole wouldn't last longer than say...2 hours(ish?) I would be more inclined to at least check one of these tournaments out. I like the idea, but I don't know enough about Amiibos or local tourney's to really say anything else.

DarkSlayerKi

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately no, I don't. I was planning on getting a Rosalina or Ike, but I don't really play anything but online mode, so I didn't see the point.
And that's actually a good point you bring up about people getting into it. I wanted to specify that everything I wrote in my reply was exclusive to me, I can't really speak for anyone else when it comes to this discussion. I'm positive there are people out there who would love to participate in an event such as this. I suppose if entry was free, and the event as a whole wouldn't last longer than say...2 hours(ish?) I would be more inclined to at least check one of these tournaments out. I like the idea, but I don't know enough about Amiibos or local tourney's to really say anything else.
Its still completely legitimate feedback though, Im essentially trying to create a community that would share a lot with the smash community. We just started with fees (5 venue 5 prize pool) which everyone was ok with. Your perspective is essentially the one Im trying to change, so your feedback is excellent!

So then next question, would you watch a stream or a youtube highlight, and could that possibly convince you to participate or spectate?

D

Deleted member 269706

Its still completely legitimate feedback though, Im essentially trying to create a community that would share a lot with the smash community. We just started with fees (5 venue 5 prize pool) which everyone was ok with. Your perspective is essentially the one Im trying to change, so your feedback is excellent!

So then next question, would you watch a stream or a youtube highlight, and could that possibly convince you to participate or spectate?
Unfortunately I doubt that any product of an Amiibo tournament would be of interest to me. Perhaps I would watch if there was a neat combo, or if there was something worth learning, but as far as it being a convincing factor...probably not.

DarkSlayerKi

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately I doubt that any product of an Amiibo tournament would be of interest to me. Perhaps I would watch if there was a neat combo, or if there was something worth learning, but as far as it being a convincing factor...probably not.
Aww well, thanks for the feedback regardless! Like I said, super helpful

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'd expect a tournament for Amiibo entrants only. Depending on event scale, maybe even doubles (though I think turning friendly fire off is a wise decision, since CPUs in general pay no respect to team damage and just hit things). Obviously there's no character repicking between rounds. Either make it Random Stage, Random Omega, or let the owners do the stage picking on behalf of their Amiibo. Having a Fed Division and an Unfed Division may be fine for larger events, too, but at the very least it should be clarified ahead of time and all unfed entrants should be screened.

DarkSlayerKi

Smash Rookie
I'd expect a tournament for Amiibo entrants only. Depending on event scale, maybe even doubles (though I think turning friendly fire off is a wise decision, since CPUs in general pay no respect to team damage and just hit things). Obviously there's no character repicking between rounds. Either make it Random Stage, Random Omega, or let the owners do the stage picking on behalf of their Amiibo. Having a Fed Division and an Unfed Division may be fine for larger events, too, but at the very least it should be clarified ahead of time and all unfed entrants should be screened.
Awesome! Ive been tossing around the idea of doubles these past couple of days, so its great to see that theres interest. I like the idea of having a split fed/unfed division. Thanks for the feedback!

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Amiibo tourney...way better and more humane than than dog fighting or cockfighting. Someone get Mike Vick into Smash.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
The way you did it the first time sounds best to me. There is NO way I would bet money on an amiibo, but I have fun training them and it would be really fun to throw one in the arena and watch it tear it up with others. Not a serious thing, just fun to watch.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
without reading any of the other posts, I would expect a tournament where we enter our amiibos as players instead of us. These amiibos face other amiibos.

Rules I expect:
-All amiibos allowed.
-All customs and most equipment allowed. People make their amiibos as OP as possible.

The reason for this is after training an amiibo for so long, the last thing you want to hear is that what you did with the amiibo disqualifies it and therefore all the time you put into it was worthless.

Although, I would be fine with a rule like "no home run bat badges," if it turns out the the bat is too powerful. When feeding amiibos equipment, you can give them abilities simply by feeding them one piece of equipment. You can overwrite any abilities with another ability by doing this. Therefore, it would be pretty easy to remove one single ability.

Although, I don't even know if home run bats are overpowered. No clue. Other abilities might counter balance it.

As for myself, I would personally watch a stream with amiibos fighting. It is the pefect thing for the twitch environment, tbh. There was once a stream which just showed two low AI jigglypuffs playing on the stage "Temple" from stock 99. I feel like people would love to watch amiibos fight.

edit: I would not bet, but that is because I am not a betting person.

------Stages:
I expect stages to be standard- the typical competitive stages. For selecting stages, I either imagine that the players who own the amiibos would be using the strike system, or that the stages are just picked using the random stage selector (which has been narrowed down to the typical legal stages)

Last edited:

DarkSlayerKi

Smash Rookie
The way you did it the first time sounds best to me. There is NO way I would bet money on an amiibo, but I have fun training them and it would be really fun to throw one in the arena and watch it tear it up with others. Not a serious thing, just fun to watch.
The best I might be able to do for now is going back to just having a venue fee which is 5 bucks. We previously also used to do the prizes via my pocket and donations, but we're getting too big for that. I'd still love to do "Freebie" or Casual events to drum up interest for sure. Thanks for the feedback!

without reading any of the other posts, I would expect a tournament where we enter our amiibos as players instead of us. These amiibos face other amiibos.

Rules I expect:
-All amiibos allowed.
-All customs and most equipment allowed. People make their amiibos as OP as possible.

The reason for this is after training an amiibo for so long, the last thing you want to hear is that what you did with the amiibo disqualifies it and therefore all the time you put into it was worthless.

Although, I would be fine with a rule like "no home run bat badges," if it turns out the the bat is too powerful. When feeding amiibos equipment, you can give them abilities simply by feeding them one piece of equipment. You can overwrite any abilities with another ability by doing this. Therefore, it would be pretty easy to remove one single ability.

Although, I don't even know if home run bats are overpowered. No clue. Other abilities might counter balance it.

As for myself, I would personally watch a stream with amiibos fighting. It is the pefect thing for the twitch environment, tbh. There was once a stream which just showed two low AI jigglypuffs playing on the stage "Temple" from stock 99. I feel like people would love to watch amiibos fight.

------Stages:
I expect stages to be standard- the typical competitive stages. For selecting stages, I either imagine that the players who own the amiibos would be using the strike system, or that the stages are just picked using the random stage selector (which has been narrowed down to the typical legal stages)
The stage thing we just kinda did randomly, we went with "random omega" stages but our last tourney proved that even then, certain omegas have advantages over the other. I think allowing pick/counter pick stages would be ideal for our next tourney. Because I am a smash noob, is there a definitive "Tournament legal" set of stages already? Is it still in flux or did APEX really solidify it?

Last edited by a moderator:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
The stage thing we just kinda did randomly, we went with "random omega" stages but our last tourney proved that even then, certain omegas have advantages over the other. I think allowing pick/counter pick stages would be ideal for our next tourney. Because I am a smash noob, is there a definitive "Tournament legal" set of stages already? Is it still in flux or did APEX really solidify it?
There's not too much debate over legal stages. If you are looking for how to do your stage striking, I recommend you try this:
http://smashboards.com/threads/stag...my-easy-solution-to-stage-rules.382601/page-3

Just have the following stages legal and have the players strike down from them.

Battlefield, FD, Town and City, Smashville, Delfino Plaza, Kongo Jungle 64, Skyloft, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Castle Siege, Duck Hunt, Pokemon Stadium 2, Wuhu Island

The first person to go strikes 1 stage, then the other person does 2, and each player continues doing 2 until the choice is between 2 stages. Then the person strikes 1 stage. It goes 1-2-2-2-2-2-1.

-

Oh. How many matches between each amiibo? Best out of 3? 3 stock or 2 stock? I'm just curious. Also, if you do start streaming this thing, I wonder if you could give some more info on that?

Last edited:

DarkSlayerKi

Smash Rookie
There's not too much debate over legal stages. If you are looking for how to do your stage striking, I recommend you try this:
http://smashboards.com/threads/stag...my-easy-solution-to-stage-rules.382601/page-3

Just have the following stages legal and have the players strike down from them.

Battlefield, FD, Town and City, Smashville, Delfino Plaza, Kongo Jungle 64, Skyloft, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Castle Siege, Duck Hunt, and Pokemon Stadium 2, Wuhu Island

The first person to go strikes 1 stage, then the other person does 2, and each player continues doing 2 until the choice is between 2 stages. Then the person strikes 1 stage. It goes 1-2-2-2-2-2-1.

-

Oh. How many matches between each amiibo? Best out of 3? 3 stock or 2 stock? I'm just curious. Also, if you do start streaming this thing, I wonder if you could give some more info on that?
Our last tournament was streamed and is actually cut up into segments on my youtube channel (I can message you the details or you can look in my post history, don't wanna turn this into a promo thread). Was there any particular info on that you were looking for?
We did best out of 3, 3 stock, Smash Ball on low. The Smash Ball thing was something that came up in debate when we first started, but we decided for it because you can actually teach an amiibo to guard it and use it as bait, basically. You can turn it into part of your strat.

Thanks for the info on stage stuff, I'm extremely unfamiliar with it and I'm going to bookmark that page.

Thundering TNT

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't personally be interested by a plain amiibo tourney, but a doubles tourney where you play with your amiibos would be really cool.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I wouldn't personally be interested by a plain amiibo tourney, but a doubles tourney where you play with your amiibos would be really cool.
That sounds like the best idea to me; I would totally have fun with that. You get to show off your amiibo and how cool it is, but you're also not just sitting there watching stuff happen.

DarkSlayerKi

Smash Rookie
Double Posting Warning Received
That sounds like the best idea to me; I would totally have fun with that. You get to show off your amiibo and how cool it is, but you're also not just sitting there watching stuff happen.
Ooooh, this is a really cool idea.

Yes. I'm down for this. How many stock though, keep it at 3?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I actually would enjoy entering my Amiibo into a tournament.

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
I wouldn't mind attending/ watching an all-amiibo tournament. But it would be a completly different experience. It would be just like watching a boxing match, you cheer for your amiibo, maybe even betting with your opponent. It would be no different from watching a stream. Although maybe it needs to be cheaper.

Also, @ Turrin Turrin , that is and incredible idea.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
This is where great feedback comes in, because I had the EXACT same opinion as this. I thought to myself "I'm not going to get any Amiibo, that whole idea is stupid." Then I saw the "Amiibo almost won a tournament" article, and was impressed by how they work. I went out and bought one, trained it to 50, and now it's an extreme challenge to me. I'd love to see Amiibo tournaments. In fact, that's why I've become an Amiibo training addict. From a 75% winrate online in about 400 games of Smash, to playing against Amiibos offline. It's less laggy and personally they're more challenging.

DarkSlayerKi

Smash Rookie
Have you actually tried mini events with your friends?
Yes actually! We've done two. There's a youtube channel out there (You can view it in my posted comments, or I can PM you a link if you're interested). We have another coming up tomorrow, which is why I was asking for feedback in general, to improve this one and garner more interest.

This is where great feedback comes in, because I had the EXACT same opinion as this. I thought to myself "I'm not going to get any Amiibo, that whole idea is stupid." Then I saw the "Amiibo almost won a tournament" article, and was impressed by how they work. I went out and bought one, trained it to 50, and now it's an extreme challenge to me. I'd love to see Amiibo tournaments. In fact, that's why I've become an Amiibo training addict. From a 75% winrate online in about 400 games of Smash, to playing against Amiibos offline. It's less laggy and personally they're more challenging.
This is what happened to me! I was like "I'm just going to get Marth". Here I am, 29 amiibo later... >.>
Really though, Amiibo have helped be get better with some of my characters, notable falco. You have to be perfect against them or they just stomp all over your face.

Top Bottom