• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If I make a website do I have to have a terms of use section?

Supernova757

Smash Apprentice
I just wanted to make sure because I don't wanna be sued or anything. Any information you give me will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lazlo Falconi

Smash Cadet
Depends on what your website is about. Typically you won't need it, but it never hurts. Give us some more info so we can give you better advice.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Most websites are just static information. You do not need a terms of use to let people read your content. If you are collecting information from your users (beyond the normal stuff that your webserver receives from their web browser just to communicate the webpages), then you may need to specify the terms of use. For example, there are privacy laws about the type of information you're allowed to collect. Also, when someone sends you content, you'll likely need to receive their permission (copyright junk etc.) to be able to do whatever it is you want to do with it, etc.

In Canada (and the US, and most countries afaik), as soon as you write something down it's already under your copyright; you don't need to include a copyright notice, to have some legal rights about the reproduction and distribution of the work. But companies tend to put copyright notices on all their stuff anyway, just to drive the point home I guess, and possibly to cover some strange borderline cases, idk.

For the record, I think copyright law is ******** btw, so I encourage ppl to grant others the rights to reproduce, modify, and distribute their works; either explicitly (ex. through creative-commons licenses) or implicitly.

Top Bottom