• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If I cant notice lag do I need to plug it into the modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

elliotnz

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5906-3244
My online win rate is 50% I don't notice any difference between online play and offline play. Should I still plug it into the modem?

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
The main problem with using WiFi is not that you will get constant lag, it's mostly that you take the risk to get some hiccups here and there.
Like a 5 frames freeze or things like that.

It's always annoying when you fight online and a small freeze leads you to miss a recovery or a combo.

So if you can do it, you should do it. Better be safe than sorry.

Sir Slush

Smash Rookie
I work for an internet service provider and I can confirm this ^^^. Wireless sucks guys. The stone cold hard reality is that copper wire is a more reliable way of transporting electrons from one location to the other, as opposed to radio waves. Error correction becomes very shaky when entering the realm of wireless, and that causes packets to appear on one end different than the other side, if the packet doesn't match, it's discarded and asked to re-transmit. If this happens more than a few times a second, then it is drastically noticeable in game. Wireless also introduces more protocol overhead and processing time for the data to get from one point to the next. I can't be more clear than tell you wired is always better than wireless.

Tldr just buy the $15 amazon basics adapter and you'll never regret the purchase. Just don't spend more than $20 or you are being sharked for the same performance increase.

Bonus: If you get bored of smash it works on all usb devices. You can give your slim laptop that doesn't have an ethernet port, huge performance upgrade, especially on upload and ping time for online games. Vroom vroom......

Last edited:

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus
Not sure what your win rate has to do with it, but just plug it into your modem if you have the option. Wifi sucks no matter what.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom