• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If hey re-released Melee, what changes should they put in?

PineTree2.0

Smash Cadet
Keeping all the same tech (unless you think it should be added or taken out), what changes should they make?

LanAl

Smash Rookie
Minor/Decent buffs to mid-low tiers, rework bottom tiers or give them clean/reasonable buffs.

Last edited:
None. It's too late for the tournament scene to transition to a new balanced version. Everything is too well established

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Smash turn / tilt turn mechanics should definitely be changed in some way to allow 100% or closer to 100% success rate on dash backs. It's kind of ridiculous that even if your inputs are very good, you can still fail a cg if you're unlucky with the timing of your input. Also controller has currently way too big of an effect for dashing back.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Make the clones less cloney, more tourney stages, Rework Zelda, Bowser, DK, Mewtwo, Roy. Maybe Ledge mechanics (cause missing a wavedash off could kill you). Give more characters good OoS options (poor Falcon). But I would rather keep it the same than them making bad choices. Only the low tiers really need to be reworked (maybe a tiny, tiny bit of nerfs to fox. Like his recovery is a little shorter or something minor).

MrYaah

Smash Rookie
make it so perfect shielded projectiles don't do half damage or whatever the stupid mechanic is. More tournament legal stages. 2 frame dashback window.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Because a rerelease of Melee would be based on catering to the fanbase and Melee's fanbase is focused around competitive play I really think it would be better if the gameplay were the same. If anything more than PAL changes were made I think that would create an unnecessary divide by creating a reason to prefer what we have now.

Updated graphics (and hopefully without the god awful smash 4 Fox voice), a good online mode with a competitive rule set, and possibly lightening specific controller inputs such as tauKhan suggested are really the only things I would want.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Nothing. I'll admit I am biased because I live here, keep it the US version. If anything, game breaking glitches like stage glitches (stadium and battlefield), IC's freezing glitch, etc would be nice. I am somewhat indifferent about invisible ceiling glitch and phantom hits. I love seeing phantom rests on my Jiggs friend.

Adding features would be cool though. More music with music select before the stage. The usual stage fixes most people suggest like non-transform stadium as an option. Longer tags, customizable controls for those who really want it. Online play (honestly I don't know about your experience with Sm4sh netplay, but it is pretty damn good for me. Of course there will be SOME lag, please understand).

Nothing too drastic, the game is already complete. Big gameplay changes IMO should go to PM, which they are doing so there's that.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Online play (honestly I don't know about your experience with Sm4sh netplay, but it is pretty damn good for me. Of course there will be SOME lag, please understand).
Oh yeah I have only played smash 4 online through 3ds which was bad and I understand on the WiiU it's probably better, but by "good online" I meant it would be cool if we got to have access to more stages than FD and possibly have the option to play sets.

I do like the idea for having more music options though.

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
^THIS^ It's just so dumb it isn't
No it isn't. Yoshi's shield is unique also in the respect that he receives no shield stun. You couldn't allow yoshi to jump while retaining no shieldstun. Adding jump OoS would destroy his op platform shieldgame, so it would not necessarily even make him a better char.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I would rather be able to get out of my shield easier than have no shield stun. But having both would be op, I agree.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I take melee yoshi's shieldgame over pm anyday. Being able to punish after virtually any block on platform is amazing. And yoshi's jumpsquat would make his jump OoS below average anyway, whereas now his shield is by far the best in the game on plats, and he still has parries and lightshield sliding tricks on ground.

Last edited:

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
True. His shield game is great on platforms, but meh on ground. Guess it balances out.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
On ground it's very hard to evaluate, since parrying is such a powerful tool, while the light shield tricks still allow him to escape pressure. Also he doesn't get poked. On the other hand, yoshi cannot really shield pre-emptively, so it's way easier to catch him in neutral with some attacks that would be very risky against wd OoS. On plats his shield is broken, he should be practically untouchable. Though for sure his shield is much harder to use effectively than any other characters in the game.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
They should make it easier to unlock sonic. I've been trying all-star mode (very hard) with pichu for weeks now, and I still can't beat it.

PineTree2.0

Smash Cadet
They should make it easier to unlock sonic. I've been trying all-star mode (very hard) with pichu for weeks now, and I still can't beat it.
Did you beat the elite four 20 times in a row without any pokemon fainting, and using no items? That's how I got him at least.

Last edited:

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
don't change anything

if you have to change two things probably remove jab -> usmash from fox and fix battlefield's ledges

Mugifi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mugifi
3DS FC
0216-0792-4194
If they rerelease Melee with a fixed Game & Watch, I'll be the happiest man on earth.

JBones

Smash Cadet
No it isn't. Yoshi's shield is unique also in the respect that he receives no shield stun. You couldn't allow yoshi to jump while retaining no shieldstun. Adding jump OoS would destroy his op platform shieldgame, so it would not necessarily even make him a better char.
Guess I don't know enough about him.
One thing I'd like to see is custom controls, like c-stick tilts and remapping including d-pad being tilts or smash. On different controllers it'd be nice to map light shielding to something. I could go without all that though.

Kykev14

Smash Rookie
I don't think they should change anything other than graphics (duh), major glitches, like the ice climber freeze glitch, and buff G&W a little bit

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I think they should standardize versions between regions and add well-coded Netplay. In PAL you could add a Legacy mode that changes all characters back to the original PAL, but we really need to start transitioning the scene to a worldwide Melee standard.

Pablo's Combo's

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheOfficialPablo
I think they should of course keep all the tech. Make it so that all clone characters don't have the same exact animation as what their being cloned from. (Make the animations resemble PM for all clones maybe...) Make it so that Mr. Game & Watch can L-Cancel all of his moves instead of just his f-air and d-air. Fix the grab ranges on certain characters like yoshi's and Marth's (Marth was just my preference, in my opinion it's too large) Of course balance the percentage on all moves of any character. Have tap jump as an option maybe? And either keep or remove Phantom hits.

Last edited:

pershona

Smash Journeyman
Customs controls would be only thing i feel would be necessary.
If any character changes, only the PAL changes.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
If it were up to me, I'd make the re-release a sort of hybrid of PAL and NTSC Melee, keeping in true spikes, but keeping the nerfs PAL made to certain characters. Characters that got unnecessary nerfs from NTSC to PAL would stay in their NTSC form, like Ganon. Basically, only the top tiers are their PAL versions. I'd also fix a few bugs that adversely affect certain characters, like Game & Watch not being able to L-cancel all of his aerials and Roy's hitboxes not lasting as long as they should for no apparent reason.

Outside of gameplay stuff, just some of the options and modes they introduced in Brawl and Smash 4, like online.

Any more drastic changes would be too much, imo.

SSBM_NPC

Smash Rookie
I am somewhat indifferent about invisible ceiling glitch and phantom hits. I love seeing phantom rests on my Jiggs friend.
I like how phantom hits work. It makes more sense than having you get hit with knockback by an attack when the hit/hurt boxes are tangential. I find that phantom hits are the best solution to that scenario.

Top Bottom