• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If custom moves were allowed, would you keep Auto-Reticle?

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this should go in the 'Custom Moves' thread, and if so please lock it and I'll take this discussion there. Anyway, I wanted to know what the Palutena community thinks of keeping Auto-Reticle as their Neutralb. Obviously Explosive Flame has its uses, and Heavenly Light is a great doubles move, but where does Auto-Reticle fit in? It's a great zoning tool and a way to limit opponent's mobility choices. How many of you reckon you'll keep Auto-Reticle in place of the other options?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yes.

Precisely as you described it: a great zoning tool that halts approaches and makes your opponent get creative with their chases. It fits my playstyle perfectly. I find the other options too niche or unorthodox for the kind of style I play, so I'm happy with this.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I'm not sure if this should go in the 'Custom Moves' thread, and if so please lock it and I'll take this discussion there. Anyway, I wanted to know what the Palutena community thinks of keeping Auto-Reticle as their Neutralb. Obviously Explosive Flame has its uses, and Heavenly Light is a great doubles move, but where does Auto-Reticle fit in? It's a great zoning tool and a way to limit opponent's mobility choices. How many of you reckon you'll keep Auto-Reticle in place of the other options?
Posting this in the custom moves discussion thread would be most appropriate, but I think it's fine for now. Just for future reference, you can post there next time.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
Yes. It's a good move, I never used to think so.
It's great for countering keep away characters, and it gets by Villager's pocket or Palutena's universe thing because it's a multi projectile move.

Her other two neutral bs are far too unsafe for me

HarajukuNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
harajuku_ninja
3DS FC
3523-3461-8281
*raises hand* While I like the appeal of Explosive Flame's ability to ignore sheild, the fact that it has a fixed distance is what turns me off. Auto-Reticle is good for making your opponent approach and for anti-zoning when combined with her Reflective Barrier.

AozoraX

Smash Apprentice
people don't know about auto reticle forcing push off the ledge
it's so good
it makes people cry and go "WHY DIDNT I GRAB THE LEDGE" while you laugh and set up the pillar of DEATH

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Eick no.

People are using words like "great" or "so good" when they should be using words like "annoying" or "I guess it does something", which is all that move is. As soon as customs are the norm... *tosses AR in garbage* *cracks open a delicious frothy can of Explosive Flame*

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
it's so good
it makes people cry and go "WHY DIDNT I GRAB THE LEDGE" while you laugh and set up the pillar of DEATH
What do you mean, doesn't AR not work on ledge since it won't activate on invincible opponents?

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I would favor Explosive Flame for quick rush-down opponents and Autoreticle for campy spacing opponents.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I'd go with Explosive Flame. Although it has a fixed distance, it can still be a good tool for ledge guarding if spaced properly. Plus, it's much more powerful. I never found Autoreticle useful or reliable.

Your Friend Bonnie

Smash Rookie
Yes. I find it a good zoning tool, like others (and the OP) have said.

Her only other viable option imo is Explosive Flame.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I think half my posts on the Palutena board have been defending AR, but honestly I could go either way. AR is definately a useful tool as long as you don't use it like a projectile and use it like a long range poke. It forces approaches from some characters, punishes some stuff from a huge distance away and when time right can put good pressure on off-stage opponents

Explosive Flame doesn't force approaches and isn't really a punishing tool in any way but it does give great offstage pressure. I currently use it in my custom moveset but that's mostly for testing it out until I decide which one I really want to stick with.

Honestly, both are punishable at mid range when they don't hit, both can't really be camping tools, and they both certainly have their uses.

Heavenly light can leave.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
it's so good
This. Zoning and anti-zoning purposes aside, this is why I always go Auto-reticle over Explosive Flame. It's especially useful on stages like Battlefield where the bullets have the potential to slide an opponent off the stage with their pushback, meaning it can potential lead to a jab lock and other shenanigans.

faderpotater

Smash Apprentice
I think auto-reticle is a difficult move to get a hang of but overall the superior option. I feel like if explosive flame misses it just takes too long to finish, fast characters can probably punish it all day (same is true for AR as well though so this point my be moot.) To me explosive flame just seems a lot more difficult to use as it doesn't cover jump in like AR can, it only hit in front of palutena. If they ever make it to where auto-reticle can target (not hit just target) characters with recovery invincibility it could become a great knockdown pressure option and in my opinion would officially be the best of her neutrals.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Probably. I'm more used to it, so unless I feel that I will get much more use out of Explosive Flame in a particular matchup (Mr. Game and Watch, for example), I'd likely just stick with what I'm good at.

At the same time, I feel that there are certain matchups that more or less require me to use Autoreticle. In the Jigglypuff matchup, since Jigglypuffs like to jump around me and are trying to find a time to land rest, I use AR to control her movements and make it difficult for her to find an opening. Since Explosive Flame only activates right in front of me and at mid range, I lose the ability to play keep away with her and I'm more likely to get rested for whiffing it.

Anthrax

Smash Rookie
What do you mean, doesn't AR not work on ledge since it won't activate on invincible opponents?
i think he means that you cant grab the ledge after you got hit by a weak hit for about 50 frames (this can be used for edge-guarding but is not soooo useful to pull it off all the time (at least if your opponent doesnt mix up his options to get to the ledge :) )

D

Deleted member

When I first started using Palutena, I thought Autoreticle was kinda dumb, but after using her for so long I've seen its usefulness, so I would probably keep it. For the reasons people have stated above.

BrazenBee

Smash Rookie
For me personally, I like both Auto Reticle and Explosive Flame. Both have their own specific uses, and you can choose between different options based on the match up.

lostleader

Smash Rookie
NNID
lostleader
If it was custom doubles, heck no. That is not a move to use when two players have the option to hurt you. Otherwise AR has warmed my heart with its amazing follow ups and overall nifty anti-zoning and zoning. Although given the change on faster characters where AR is pretty useless when they are the ground, then also yes

Floatzel_Trainer

Smash Rookie
NNID
OZN-Fer
3DS FC
1075-0840-3464
Match up dependent.
I'll keep it only if the oponnent uses a spam/patient character.
Explosive flame is better to cover landings and to perform some reads.

Top Bottom