• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If a new Metroid is to be created, what would you like it to be like?

Sandshadow

Smash Cadet
It has been 3 year since the last Metroid game was released. We can only hope there is a new game in the series being created. Since there is no information on it, what would you like a new metroid game to be like? What would you like it to be influenced by?

My personal favorite of the Metroid games I've played would have to be Prime 3: Corruption. I felt that the controls were great, the boss battles felt great, and I just liked the direction it was taking. I would love for the next metroid to be in 1st person, maybe even have a good multiplayer. But this is not a very popular opinion I'm assuming. So what would you like a new metroid to be like?

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
A return to Super Metroid style would be neat; 2D with no first-person stuff, even though I really enjoyed that.

Hell, maybe even third-person 3D could work, if they felt like doing something new.

Booster

Smash Lord
I consider it longer between releases since Other M was a steaming pile of ****. Anyways I'd like it to be an Open World version of how the Prime games worked, even interacting with intelligent alien races

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
even interacting with intelligent alien races
See, that's a thing that I think they really missed with Prime 2 and 3. There was a nice bit of interaction, but not enough for me. Hell, instead of the basic healing/saving rooms, give me little areas of refugees of X species trying to hide from (Space Pirates/Metroids/New Threat) or something.

Booster

Smash Lord
See, that's a thing that I think they really missed with Prime 2 and 3. There was a nice bit of interaction, but not enough for me. Hell, instead of the basic healing/saving rooms, give me little areas of refugees of X species trying to hide from (Space Pirates/Metroids/New Threat) or something.
Other M had interaction too but the wrong kind..with Humans and the voice acting was bad

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
Metroid: Other M, but give Samus more backbone and less baby, take away the first person element entirely. Also please make it non-linear.

I could also appreciate a return to the old Super Metroid / Zero Mission way of doing it, just make it 3D and non-linear.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I really don't mind what playstyle the game has as long as Sylux is in it because that Corruption cliffhanger cannot be ignored.

.Alone

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRawkHawk
Prime 4. Go ahead and shoot me, because I'm not into the 2D Metroid games. Not even Super Metroid. I just can't get into them.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Prime 4. Go ahead and shoot me, because I'm not into the 2D Metroid games. Not even Super Metroid. I just can't get into them.
I am not going to shoot you. But Samus will!

I want a sequel to Metroid Fusion with the Fusion suit! A 2D game for the 3DS as I prefer them. The 3D games are also awesome but I like the 2D ones more.

Last edited:
I want a sequel to Metroid Fusion with the Fusion suit! A 2D game for the 3DS as I prefer them. The 3D games are also awesome but I like the 2D ones more.
I agree, a sequel to Fusion would be great.

I'd like to see it done in the style of A Link Between Worlds - 3D graphics from a 2D perspective.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I want a Fusion sequel.

Namely, I want proper sequence breaking, alia Super. ZM was nice, but sequence breaking there basically amounted to shooting a few blocks in your way. I want stuff like walljumping up a shaft filled with mostly invincible enemies, shooting a hole in the ceiling, then walljumping back up into it. Sequence breaking of this kind leads to essentially choosing your own difficulty, with it's own unique reward in faster playtime.

Also, streamlining the game for SQing would be great. Something like automatic save/refill rooms that wouldn't miss a beat when reloading, a non-random refill system, stuff and leaderboards and challenges.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I would be entirely fine with either a 2.5D sidescroller (DKCR-style) or a 1st person game similar to the Prime series, as I completely loved both (though I must admit to preferring the 1st 2 Prime games to all the rest). I think there's been some semi-official talk (I don't remember where, though... so don't get your hopes up) of an upcoming Metroid game, which would be nice.

If all my dreams come true then we'd get a 3D Metroid for the Wii U (hell, something like TV = Standard View while WiiU Gamepad = Scan Visor would be neat) while also getting a new 2.5D Metroid (Fusion sequel please!) on 3DS, though I don't think that's super likely.
Just please pretend that Metroid: Other M's story (if nothing else) never happened, please.

I want a Fusion sequel.

Namely, I want proper sequence breaking, alia Super. ZM was nice, but sequence breaking there basically amounted to shooting a few blocks in your way. I want stuff like walljumping up a shaft filled with mostly invincible enemies, shooting a hole in the ceiling, then walljumping back up into it. Sequence breaking of this kind leads to essentially choosing your own difficulty, with it's own unique reward in faster playtime.

Also, streamlining the game for SQing would be great. Something like automatic save/refill rooms that wouldn't miss a beat when reloading, a non-random refill system, stuff and leaderboards and challenges.
Sequence-Breaking stuff could be awesome; while I've never done anything of the sort, watching speedruns and the like are always extremely entertaining.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I would be entirely fine with either a 2.5D sidescroller (DKCR-style) or a 1st person game similar to the Prime series, as I completely loved both (though I must admit to preferring the 1st 2 Prime games to all the rest). I think there's been some semi-official talk (I don't remember where, though... so don't get your hopes up) of an upcoming Metroid game, which would be nice.

If all my dreams come true then we'd get a 3D Metroid for the Wii U (hell, something like TV = Standard View while WiiU Gamepad = Scan Visor would be neat) while also getting a new 2.5D Metroid (Fusion sequel please!) on 3DS, though I don't think that's super likely.
Just please pretend that Metroid: Other M's story (if nothing else) never happened, please.

Sequence-Breaking stuff could be awesome; while I've never done anything of the sort, watching speedruns and the like are always extremely entertaining.
Like, replay SM right now. Gogogogo. Messing around with SBs is the whole reason SM is considered to be a masterpiece.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Like, replay SM right now. Gogogogo. Messing around with SBs is the whole reason SM is considered to be a masterpiece.
Oh trust me I would if I could, I just don't have the time. Despite Metroid being one of my absolute favorite series (after Smash, and tied with Borderlands and Touhou) I've never actually beaten Super Metroid.

Started with Prime 1, got hooked through Prime 3. Loved Fusion and Zero Mission, Other M was just meh excluding the awful 'story' and 'characterization'. Didn't play Hunters, and I've played part of Super Mission however for a while I could only play it on a phone (emulated) and that just plain doesn't work with touchscreen controls (triggers are all but impossible to use). Now that I have it, I don't have time to play it with college.

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have time though, I'm really looking forward to it

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
A revisit to SM is mandatory, in HD.

Nintendo needs to make this happen.
Yea I need to play Super Metroid. That is a Metroid game I really want to play, just did not get the chance to!

In HD!

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
A new 2D Metroid game for the 3DS Would be awesome! It could be called Super Metroid 2! And it should have co-op :p

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
A revisit to SM is mandatory, in HD.

Nintendo needs to make this happen.
The problem with that is that SM's SBs are very dependent on the physics. But the physics themselves are seen as a flaw, being rather clunky. Should they make the controls sharper? Should they be the same? Or what about outright glitches like the glitch beams? Would they even carry over? Heck, should it be based on the NTSC version or the PAL version? There's way too many ways a SM remake could go wrong, and Nintendo knows this. If they managed to make it one-to-one, then what was the point when we have VC?

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
The problem with that is that SM's SBs are very dependent on the physics. But the physics themselves are seen as a flaw, being rather clunky. Should they make the controls sharper? Should they be the same? Or what about outright glitches like the glitch beams? Would they even carry over? Heck, should it be based on the NTSC version or the PAL version? There's way too many ways a SM remake could go wrong, and Nintendo knows this. If they managed to make it one-to-one, then what was the point when we have VC?
Well then best option is to make a sequel to Metroid Fusion, Super Metroid style!

We need more of this and a continuation of the storyline! A true sequel, while leaving the fiasco that was Other M behind.

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
Yeh
Well then best option is to make a sequel to Metroid Fusion, Super Metroid style!

We need more of this and a continuation of the storyline! A true sequel, while leaving the fiasco that was Other M behind.

yes! Metroid Fusion rocks!

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Sequel to Fusion, Samus from Other M was actually a clone made by the Federation, Non-Linear, made by someone who knows how to make a good story (as sakamoto has demonstrated that he cannot do).

All other details I dimmadon't give a **** about.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Sequel to Fusion, Samus from Other M was actually a clone made by the Federation, Non-Linear, made by someone who knows how to make a good story (as sakamoto has demonstrated that he cannot do).

All other details I dimmadon't give a **** about.
So we had Dark Samus and you suggest we get Samus Clone? Actual Samus from Metroid vs. Samus Clone?

That is obviously absurd! And you know it but I see why you suggested it, guess you really hated Other M huh?

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
So we had Dark Samus and you suggest we get Samus Clone? Actual Samus from Metroid vs. Samus Clone?

That is obviously absurd! And you know it but I see why you suggested it, guess you really hated Other M huh?
I suggest Samus Clone because it's the only explanation for why she was a drooling idiot that's consistent with the metroid universe.

I mean, it's not like a clone of her hasn't happened ever before, right?

*COUGH*DARKSAMUS*COUGH*

right?

*COUGH*SA-X*COUGH*

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I suggest Samus Clone because it's the only explanation for why she was a drooling idiot that's consistent with the metroid universe.

I mean, it's not like a clone of her hasn't happened ever before, right?

*COUGH*DARKSAMUS*COUGH*

right?

*COUGH*SA-X*COUGH*
Yea but never a playable clone :p

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Won't be playable in the actual game that states it's a clone.

Also, playable clones are a thing. Ever played Super Smash Bros? There's clones in those games. :p
Oh my you are right :p

But still Nintendo just needs to leave Other M behind and continue from Fusion. Or maybe continue Metroid Prime 4 with the Fusion suit! Both demands fulfilled!

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Oh my you are right :p

But still Nintendo just needs to leave Other M behind and continue from Fusion. Or maybe continue Metroid Prime 4 with the Fusion suit! Both demands fulfilled!
Maybe it could just be mentioned as part of an easter egg. Maybe have the clone's bloody corpse lying in the corner in a room before fighting Ridley with flavor text similar to "It appears to be an exact replica of you. Brain scan shows signs of distress upon encountering Ridley" when you scan it.

That way it doesn't seem like Nintendo's harping on it, but still puts it in it's place.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Maybe it could just be mentioned as part of an easter egg. Maybe have the clone's bloody corpse lying in the corner in a room before fighting Ridley with flavor text similar to "It appears to be an exact replica of you. Brain scan shows signs of distress upon encountering Ridley" when you scan it.

That way it doesn't seem like Nintendo's harping on it, but still puts it in it's place.
Although that is really really unlikely.

Nintendo is avoiding Metroid since Other M and it would be best for it to be just forgotten and to move on to the next awesome game!

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Although that is really really unlikely.

Nintendo is avoiding Metroid since Other M and it would be best for it to be just forgotten and to move on to the next awesome game!
I suppose your right. Best to just move on at this point...

Unless they screw up the writing again. Then we're hosed.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I suppose your right. Best to just move on at this point...

Unless they screw up the writing again. Then we're hosed.
I think Nintendo has learnt that by now that writing needs to be improved.

Metroid Fusion had dialogue as well as writing but it was less and Samus was still not a weak character. It was Other M that screwed it up. Metroid Fusion did some storyline right where Other M did not.

Guess which game we should get a sequel to :p

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I think Nintendo has learnt that by now that writing needs to be improved.

Metroid Fusion had dialogue as well as writing but it was less and Samus was still not a weak character. It was Other M that screwed it up. Metroid Fusion did some storyline right where Other M did not.

Guess which game we should get a sequel to :p
Prime 3!

Wait...

In all seriousness, though, I would absolutely love a sequel to Fusion. It almost seemed to me like it was starting a second major portion of the Metroid timeline when I played it, since the Power Suit was so incredibly iconic that doing away with it (Even in the end, it isn't all the way back) seemed like a huge breaking point, and I'd really like to see where it goes from there.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
I just want a darn explanation for Prime 3's ending. The story of Phazon is over BUT WHAT IS UP WITH THAT SHIP YO! :drflip:

Top Bottom