• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ideas on controlling lumas.

RyanR

Smash Apprentice
So my idea on controlling the lumas is this.

If you press L the luma moves to the left, if you press R the luma moves to the right.
And to get Rosalina to shield you press both at the same time.

Tell me what you guys think.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
not likely.
it would be tedious to do that.
i think, once you send luma forward (with side b), he stays there until you call him back, or send him forward again. other than that i think if luma is near you, he follows you wherever you go.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
just think:
in a serious match, you dont have time to think about pressing both L and R to shield. sometimes you may not want to send luma away. and what about rolling? spot dodging? or air dodging? you may also not press L and R at the exact same time and not shield in time.

RyanR

Smash Apprentice
you may also not press L and R at the exact same time and not shield in time.
It wouldn't be an exact timing thing.

If both of the buttons were pressed at any time, your shield would come out.
Meaning you could hold one button down then press the other one if you wanted to.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
That idea is stupid, it's clearly a special move that dictates the distance between Rosalina and Luma. Maybe if it weren't smash it would work like that, but it is smash so it's absolutely a special.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I do think the Luma will function similarly to the double cherry from 3D world the Luma will mimic movements.
After watching the trailer again (and I have watch this thing a lot, too beautiful) I noticed that the Luma has a special (Side special most likely) where it dashes forward with a headbutt.
I'm guessing that move will be used more spacing the Luma out to replicate Rosalina's moves from a distance and when inactive it will return to her side.

the Luma only follows attack inputs like jabs, specials and tilts.
The Luma doesn't seem to follow jumping. I don't think it needs to worry about falling to its doom as it appears they just float (in the scene where she is grabbing onto the ledge.)
Though I think players are going to have to be mindful of what direction the Luma is facing, because there are times where they start doing jab combos in opposite directions (in the scene with the Mario Bros.)T

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sakurai did mention that the Luma would follow Rosalina's attack commands. So if she does a u-tilt, the Luma will do the same thing.

You could say that Rosalina and Luma are like a pseudo-Ice Climbers, as the Luma can cover Rosalina's back.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
I reckon that a special move would send Luma out, and then it would be controlled from that set distance in a similar way to the Ice Climbers. If you input up-smash with Rosalina, Luma will up-smash as well (pretty sure that's what happens in the trailer video). Perhaps how long you hold the special move for will determine how far away Luma will be sent?

RyanR

Smash Apprentice
I guess you guys are right. :ohwell:

I just really wish my way was the way it happened.
I think it would make an already interesting character a little more interesting.
Plus the barrier of entry would be even higher, so not any scrub could play her just because they think she looks cool.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I reckon that a special move would send Luma out, and then it would be controlled from that set distance in a similar way to the Ice Climbers. If you input up-smash with Rosalina, Luma will up-smash as well (pretty sure that's what happens in the trailer video). Perhaps how long you hold the special move for will determine how far away Luma will be sent?
I think its a set distance, bit you can use theove again to move hom even further.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Rosalina is likely turning around offscreen.
The luma's probably just mimicking her movements

weegee2407

Smash Cadet
The pic of the day on 12/19/13 says that rosalina and luma are both controlled by the player, and "remote control all the way' seems to indicate that luma mirrors rosalina's movements

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
But then how do you explain why luma stays still while rosalina is moving?

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Where does that happen in the video?
The only point I can see is the pit part, and that could be due to some sort of frame lag on the luma's moves.

Master Morrison

Smash Cadet
I have been saying that maybe if the c-stick isn't used for smashes in this game maybe it will be used to move the Luma left and right because all other ways seem kind of well complicated
And smash is not intended to be complicated
It's made more for the casual player
And these advanced techs that surfaced were not intended for the game but brought out by the competitive players

But looking back at the trailer
It seems every time she has the luma attack or move far away she is conducting the luma or well it seems like it like at the end of the trailer before taunting so maybe if you want to just move the luma it's something like holding b or something
image.jpg

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Well forgive me if I'm wrong (I don't yet have a wii u), but c-sticking only works with a GameCube controller, no?

Pressing b is actually a good thought, but...what if you want to switch luma colors? Wouldn't pressing b again switch your color out?

Master Morrison

Smash Cadet
I don't know but I wonder if Luma will have terrible priority like the pikmin
Because when rosa shoots luma at luigi's fire ball
It gets hit by the fire ball rather than clashing with it's head butt

Well the game pad has two joy sticks as does the pro controller also 3ds has joystick and dpad so I'm gonna refer to the other joy stick away from the dpad as the c stick because we know that one won't be used for movement

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Im talking about that scene where marth throws the pokeball and rosalina jumps back and does the warp field move. Luma is just standing in the middle of the stage.
Its just to hard to imagine right now. I want the game to be released so i can try her out for myself

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I see it now. It could be some sort of peculiarity about that move itself.
You're right though, it's too early to tell.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
She could have a dysync tech with lumas to promote control. Also ops idea is not dumb I want rosalina to be a technical and hard character. They after all make you better at the game.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
She could have a dysync tech with lumas to promote control. Also ops idea is not dumb I want rosalina to be a technical and hard character. They after all make you better at the game.
The idea itself isn't dumb. I meant it's just dumb to think the shoulder buttons would control that in Smash Bros., which is all about Special Moves.

Im talking about that scene where marth throws the pokeball and rosalina jumps back and does the warp field move. Luma is just standing in the middle of the stage.
It seems like Lumas don't jump. And if Luma does nothing during Warp Field, we can assume Luma isn't a part of that move.

I want the game to be released so i can try her out for myself
You, me, and everyone else here, brother.

Master Morrison

Smash Cadet
Also luma spins while Rosalina is absorbing the items
Whether or not luma's spin does anything
It debatable since not much is shown when the move happens
Also luma probably can't grab items either

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
I don't think so, it's a really slow spin, and he just floats aimlessly when he does it.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
It's not the idle animation, but it's the animation he does when she uses the move. It happens twice and he clearly does it the same way. It's just so that he isn't standing there awkwardly when Rosalina is defending.

Jão

Smash Rookie
Well, my thoughts about controlling Luma is the following. The little star will be following Rosalina all the time and mimic her moves until:

1- It is damaged by some move and will stay idle waiting for Rosalina's call (some move like the summoning one);
2- It is positioned by the side B and then following her moves remotely.

It's important to note that in the videos, Luma turn/jump in the direction of the near enemy. I think that is why it can face pit on the grab combo and jump to Marth direction. It was near an enemy and Rosalina was inputting some command.

Well, I just think that the controlling thing will not be nothing complicated. It will be some simple idea like this one. We players that will find techs like desynch and things like that.

DemoPvP

Smash Rookie
So my idea on controlling the lumas is this.

If you press L the luma moves to the left, if you press R the luma moves to the right.
And to get Rosalina to shield you press both at the same time.

Tell me what you guys think.
I initially thought that the C-Stick would be disabled and that would be Luna's movement form, but it's near impossible to drive your C-Stick to the side and press a button on the right of the controller at the same itme.

Top Bottom