• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ideal Stages for the King of Dreamland

Which Starter Stage should be discussed first?

• Smashville

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Battlefield/Miiverse

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Final Destination

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
Hello Dedede players. I have noticed that there is no thread on Dedede's stage selection, so I have took it upon myself to make said thread. This thread is intended to inform Dedede players on what stages they should go to, as to avoid picking the wrong stage that could cost them the game. What are our ideal stages for Dedede? For reference, here is the usual stage selection for tournaments. I will add a general consensus for each stage as we go.

Color checklist:

Green- This is a stage that Dedede can depend on and will almost always be a good stage choice for optimal play.

Yellow- This is a stage that is neutral for Dedede but it can sometimes benefit him depending on the matchup.

White- This is a stage is absolutely neutral for Dedede. You are most likely banning this stage because it is your opponent's best stage. (Or, it is the filler color for stages not fully discussed yet.)

Orange- This stage is sometimes bad for Dedede but can be neutral depending on the matchup. You may want to ban these stages.

Red- This stage is bad for Dedede in most to all matchups, and it is reccomended that you ban these stages.

Stagelist:

Starter:
Battlefield/Miiverse
Final Destination
Smashville

Starter or CounterPick (usually starter):
Town and City
Lylat Cruise

CounterPick:
Dreamland 64
Duck Hunt

CounterPick or Banned (usually banned):
Delfino
Halberd
Castle Seige

I have a poll created for which stage we will discuss first. The choices you have currently are Battlefield, Smashville, and Final Destination since they are practically guranteed to be starter stages. For the next week, feel free to talk about your opinion on any of the legal stages before we decide which starter stage we will discuss. Enjoy the discussion folks!

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
i've never heard of any tourney that has T&C as a counterpick.
My local tourneys I go to at Oomba do.
But anyways I'm voting for smashville because I really don't like that stage as DDD, and I can't figure out why. Also it seems like literally everyone else wants to go to smashville first round over the other two, so it is obviously more popular.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
When are we doing the discussion? Stages are a big thing for me and I'd like to get some of my thoughts across as well as hear what everyone else has to say.

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
Same. Fellow D3 main in my region and I have almost polar-opposite views on what his good/bad stages are, so I'm looking forward to seeing what others think.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Maybe we were supposed to start it? The person who created this thread did so on every single character board that didn't have a stage discussion thread, so I doubt they will be leading all of them. I say that we get started discussing Smashville! I would give my input, but as I said, I don't like the stage, but I don't know why, so I really want to see what you guys think about it compared to the other starters.

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
I've been avoiding Smashville over the past month or so.

Primary reason, which might be over-reacting, is that the risk of getting chained horizontally off of the platform is a potential nightmare for the King. His whole shtick is surviving to absurd percents, but when a Ness can fair chain you to death at 40% because the platform happened to be there...it's frustrating, particularly since Dedede can't take great advantage over it himself.

That said though, I don't think it's bad, per se, but I don't see much reason why Dedede would want to go here as a starter. Seems like it's a bit out of his favor, but not enough to warrant a counterpick strike.

But Iunno, I could be missing something. As I mentioned in my last post, my region's other (and better!) D3 main swears by Smashville and other flat stages, whereas I vastly prefer platforms being there, so I'd like to get some more opinions on the matter.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
I'm just gonna jump right into this completely unorthodox and lay out my opinions. I'll go based off Genesis 3 ruleset.

Smashville: I have very mixed feelings about this stage especially in certain match ups like against Sheik. The platform jank on the edge of the stages doesn't help DDD much outside of a high % fthrow or catching someone who's really bad with something quick like a Dsmash. The small size of the stage doesn't give DDD much room to set up traps and abuse his superior range, but in the same hand makes it a bit easier to run down zone heavy characters. I think this stage is pretty neutral for DDD but I wouldn't pick it against Sheik. The only thing unique to this stage that I believe is truly positive to DDD is using Gordo to creep along with the top platform to limit movement options or just mix ups to traps at the edge.

Battlefield (miiverse): Really this stage is completely match up dependent. Anyone that is combo heavy vertically gives DDD a very hard time on this stage with his difficulty landing. Though fortunately as DDD you give other picks that are susceptible to the same exploits as you are issues. I love picking BF against any other heavy or fat character especially ROB/Ganon I believe this is also a great counter pick to Yoshi when played correctly. Camping underneath platforms makes egg toss difficult to land and pressure with. I wouldn't pick this stage against someone like Cfalc ZSS Sheik and MK but would definitely pick it against most of the other cast. The platforms simply augment your anti airs with early Fsmash/Uair/Utilts and adds a whole new dynamic to Gordo traps/snipes. Heavies also live stupid long on these stages due to the insane blast zones. I would label this yellow but more on the green side of it.

Final Destination: Now I actually really love this stage. I personally have the most success on it giving DDD plenty of room to set up those traps and abuse that ridiculous range. Naturally FD wouldn't be my first pick against a zone heavy pick like TL/Samus but is still very valuable especially against anyone that doesn't have the means to play keep away with you. I personally LOVE taking Cfalc to this stage. Since the stage is actually larger in width to Smashville you get down smash kills at the edge a bit earlier which is great for Gordo traps at the edge.

Town&City: This stage is honestly my favorite stage in Smash. It's more or less everything at once, and the blast zones in general USUALLY help DDD. This is another stage I wouldn't pick against say ZSS/DK anyone that really depends on killing off the top BUT this stage can be very helpful to net Uair kills that you otherwise wouldn't get and even earlier kills with Dsmash at the edge than FD. The platforms honestly don't ever seem to hinder me much even in MUs where the opponent really benefits from platforms. I would label this one yellow

Dreamland: This is more or less along the same lines of BF but there is one unique thing I like to do with this stage as DDD. Inhale gimps against picks like Luigi/Dr. Mario/Yoshi and other easily gimpable characters is amazing here. You get someone to a bit above 50 some odd % inhale off the side of the stage and drop far down and since the blast zone is so far down and the bottom of the stage is easily pineappled on you can generally gimp people pretty easily on Dreamland. I'm pretty sure with the placement of the platforms and the stage the ceiling is a bit lower than BF so this is another stage I wouldn't pick against elevator characters. Yellow

Lylat Cruise: I know a lot of you would label this as a bad stage for DDD, but it's very easy to consistently recover safely on this stage and Gordo has a lot of unique unpredictable mix ups with the slopes on the edges and side platforms as well as the middle platforms with tilt of the stage. Gordo gets eaten when it's being thrown against any given ground moving up against it, so it's actually pretty easy to use Gordo without it getting eaten right away. The slopes on the edges slightly alter Dsmashes threat range and the side blast zones are similar to T&C killing pretty early with a dsmash. Snipes are also great on this stage and easy to do. I would personally say this stage is a green for DDD as I can't really think of anyone that benefits from its unique properties as much as DDD does off the top of my head.

Duckhunt: This stage is again similar to FD but has a few unique properties to it that I believe help DDD quite a bit. No one really tries to camp DDD in the tree platforms because of how much air space you control setting up a Gordo up there as well as Uair being an amazing anti air tool. You're actually able to camp the tree platforms relatively efficiently with drop through nairs/bairs on attempted approaches and sniping with Gordos from long range. The bush platform allows for mix ups with Gordo traps and promotes easy dthrow gordo traps for massive damage.

Just my opinions quickly thrown off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
While I'm no stage expert, I would like to voice my opinion on Duck Hunt. I personally think that this is DDD's worst stage. The side blast zones are really strange, as it seems like the visible screen ends way before the blast zones begin, which makes Gordo snipes and edge guards a lot harder. Also, it seems like DDD can die a lot earlier off the edge on this stage since the edge extends so far. Another huge problem with the stage for me is that my Gordo traps always seem to hit a duck, and disappear. It looks like the tall ceiling would really benefit DDD, but against most characters I get KO'd off the sides long before the ceiling becomes a problem. It always seems like other characters can zone me to the sides pretty easily, then take advantage of the short distance to the side blast zone. There are a lot of characters that really benefit from this stage a lot more than DDD does, but there are a few characters that absolutely hate this stage, but it will most likely be getting banned by them. I actually frequently use my ban on this stage as I personally think it is the worst place to go as DDD. Maybe I should get some tips from Girthquake.

Duck Hunt is RED for me.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Gonna try and type some stuff when I get off work. Hopefully I'll be able to turn on my ****ty computer.

Last edited:

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
I actually kind of like Duck Hunt for Dedede specifically for the weird duck-gordo shenanigans. It can really throw people off guard very similarly to the weird slopes of Lylat with how gordos function after hitting them.

I don't think it's outright amazing for him, but I don't really see it as outright bad. But then again, I have very minimal experience fighting there, and am going off the like 4 or so games I've played on it, so.

Krubby

Smash Cadet
I think that DDD does best when he has plenty of open space to do gordo spacing and fastfall N-air approaches. battlefield I always find myself not able to maneuver around the platforms quickly or start off any nice combos out of a nair or falling inhale. However, final destination can also be a pain if the opponent is projectile happy as you have no real way of getting out of their line of fire or approaching easily. Therefore, I think Town and City and Duck Hunt are his best stages as he has plenty of open area to come down from above while also having some out of the way platforms to safely avoid long-range opponents forcing them to get more managably closer.

Top Bottom