• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ideal stages for Palutena

Lunacywastaken

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunacywastaken
I'm quite new to Palutena, so I'm unfamiliar with what stages benefit or detriment her.
The stage list that is played in my state are:

Starters

Battlefield
Final Destination/Omega Palutena's Temple
Smashville
Town & City
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks

Halberd
Dreamland 64

I would also like to hear opinions about:

Duck Hunt
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
So your best stages are going to be ones that have platforms to ledge cancel warp on, followed by stages with low ceilings to get up air kills on. When Delfino was legal I killed a mairo at 6% in a transition with u-air. I value warp cancel over low ceilings, but dreamland has both so that is, in my opinion, her best stage followed by battlefield.

Town and City would be next on my list followed by Smashville, Lylat, then Halberd. T&C has a lower ceiling than smashville and if you get lucky you can grab your opponent on the center platform that rises and being closer to the blast zone. Plus the added platforms on T&C allow for warp mix ups to help throw your opponent off.

Smashville has the moving platform which makes warp a little more difficult to do and a little less reliable but still better than FD. Also Palu has a decent back throw that can kill pretty early (early as in 70-80) from the platform by the blast zone. The ceiling on this stage is a decent height and I normally get my up air kills at around 100% depending on rage and how stale u-air is.

I honestly haven't messed with Lylat much but I can see it being a decent Palu stage, but you would have to learn the angles based on the tilt of the stage. I don't think the tilt would effect Palu as much as it would others because of how warp can be angled compared to other recoveries.

Halberd is a good stage for Palu. It is small enough for her to space well with fairs and get in on the opponent when they leave themselves open. The ceiling is low here meaning up air will kill at earlier %. There's the center platform and the ledges to warp to. I put it lower on my list because the claw always seems to come after me when I play here.

FD is flat meaning only the edges are good to cancel warp on. The ceiling is I think more than smashville but less than battlefield, that's what it feels like from all my matches. So anytime I strike, I strike this stage first or second depending on who I'm facing.

Like I said, Palu has a decent back throw so if you can get the walk off kills on castle siege go for it. There's plenty of platforms to warp to. I know nothing about the ceiling on this stage except that you get closer to it during transitions and also don't stand near the edge during 2nd and 3rd transitions because you won't land on the stage.

Duck hunt could be good. Plenty of platforms to warp to and if you can land a u-air in the tree close to the blast zone all the better.

4chanJoe

Smash Cadet
NNID
4chinJoe
Wood pretty much nailed it on the head (no pun intended) but here's a couple other things to keep in mind.

Platforms are extremely useful for warp canceling, but keep in mind your offensive pressure options too. With the new shield stun changes, I've found that nair and short hop uair is now surprisingly safe on someone sitting in shield on a platform. If all they do is just sit in shield once they reach one of those platforms within your short hop or even full hop range, don't be afraid to put on the pressure. All the hits of nair connecting does put a bit of pressure on their shield and I managed to break shield with uair in a match before (granted this was when my opponent's shield was already super gone but you get the idea). With platforms, try your pokes. Throw out an up smash to get them off the platform, nair/uair their shield, general platform pressure will make them think about trying to approach above you. Also practice your shield drops for the best results; you wouldn't believe the amount of times shield drop uair has saved my skin against rougher match ups.

Another thing to consider is the cost of going to low ceiling maps, mainly T&C and Halberd. Both are absolutely killer maps for Palutena, in fact I contend that Dreamland and T&C are tied for her best map. However the low ceiling on both the maps I mention come at a bit of a price. Uair gets a ton of mileage on these maps, but keep in mind that Palutena is still pretty light. Sure she can kill off the top on Halberd as early as 75%, but she can also die even earlier to someone with an even greater aerial game *cough cough rosalina cough cough*. These maps are awesome, but to make them awesome you have to be on point with your play and you have to always keep a mental note of that ceiling. If you face someone like ROB or Rosalina, someone with a killer aerial that can get you up there quick, be on the defensive and respect those aerials. So to get the most out of low ceilings is simple; outspace your opponent and don't let them get close even once. Do that, combine it with a good punish game, and respect the ceilings.

As for some of the other maps, mainly FD and Duck Hunt, I would try to avoid those maps. Duck Hunt would actually be the preferred choice in this case because the layout allows for her autoreticle to get some good use and the trees make for good spots to bait a chase up top where you can catch people with some tricky stuff that could lead to a kill.

So for applying this in a tournament setting, I'd say try to go T&C or Dreamland for the first match as much as you can. If you win, try to influence Delfino or Lylat for the counterpick. If you lose first game, go for Halberd or Lylat. Throughout the set, general rule IMO is to try to avoid going to FD, Duck Hunt, and Smashville. And for the love of all that is holy, never agree to gentlemaning Smashville.

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
Ledge warping is one of her best options. Players just need to be smart about it and not abuse or overuse it.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Honestly I think it's extremely matchup dependent. I mean, that's true for every character, but I think it's particularly true for Palu. I agree with others that--in a vacuum--Dreamland is her best stage for the stated reasons (Also because warping on stage has less lag [I think] because of weird properties! Thanks, Krysco!), though I wouldn't be as ready to go to Battlefield in most matchups because killing is already a weakness of ours, and we don't need more problems with it. In particular against characters that have good ways to kill us that aren't vertical (edgeguarding, horizontal kills, etc.) I would avoid that stage and Lylat; the warp cancels probably aren't worth it.

If I was fighting Captain Falcon, however, I'd take him to Battlefield in a heartbeat. The larger blast zones means it might take him longer to kill us, while the easiest way to kill him is offstage anyways where the blastzones are more or less irrelevant. Meanwhile Sheik doesn't have to kill us off the top, and if it comes to that, platforms give her free Usmash sweetspots (which I don't think she gets on Dreamland) so it'd be my first ban against her.

In addition, Final D is great against certain characters who can't deal with projectiles well since we can play a fairly solid keep away game there; but if it's a character who has any -real- camping capability (or if it's Sonic), it's probably not a good pick because the ceiling is kind of high and we might get out-camped.

Our character's strengths are not overwhelming ones; we aren't Zero Suit, and we can't treat low ceilings like Zero Suit. We really have to look at every aspect of a stage and ask ourselves: Does this benefit me more than my opponent?

Also, Halbard has a low ceiling, but some characters like Pit can use it to shark much more effectively than we can, so it might not be a great pick against him even though he's more likely to kill you offstage/horizontally.

tl;dr: In a vacuum, Dreamland is the best, large blastzones are bad, but it raelly depends on the matchup.

Top Bottom