• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ideal monitor for competitive play?

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
So yesturday at a tournament, I played Cloud against a really good Sheik and the way I lost my first stock in both games was an accidental ledge drop fast-fall D-air mis-input without Limit and it was very irritating and depressing considering I have been practicing my recovery and general movement using Cloud on and off stage using my TV set. I noticed that transitioning from a TV set that I practice on (I have a Vizio) to a monitor is VERY different in terms of the time at which the inputs come out so I am wondering if monitors are the most optimal way to practice the game especially if one is getting into the competitive scene. If so, what are the most frequently used monitors used in competitive play or are monitors universal in terms of input delay? The ones that are used at my local tournaments are BenQ monitors with the stands that hold them being square shaped rather than the circular bases on some BenQ monitors. In general, I think it would be convinent to have a monitor since the size of it is perfect for space in my office next to my computer.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
Sounds like one or the other had display lag. most likely yours considering tournament setups are supposed to be optimal. there are tv's without display lag, and i don't know about monitors.hope i was somewhat helpful.
if you haven't already try google. read about display lag and stuff idk. just look up information.

Last edited:

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
Sounds like one or the other had display lag. most likely yours considering tournament setups are supposed to be optimal. there are tv's without display lag, and i don't know about monitors.hope i was somewhat helpful.
if you haven't already try google. read about display lag and stuff idk. just look up information.
As i think about it, I am 95% positive that it is the monitors at the tournaments I attend that have some input delay. Doing things with my controller such as extended dash dancing with characters like Mac and Falcon are very difficult to perform consistently and trying to perform the actual technique I feel like requires very strict timing on the monitors compared to my TV setup. There is one theory that may be the cause of this issue. I do use a Wii U pro-controller instead of a GameCube controller (since Bidou is more convenient and extensive on a pro-controller) and from what I have read online and in numerous studies between the two controllers, the pro-controller has the risk of delaying inputs depending on the amount of wireless noise (from phones, computers, and/or other pro-controllers) surrounding the controller. This could be the issue. However, the Sheik player who I referenced in my original post said he dealt with the same thing in the very early stages of his competitive Smash 4 career so he picked up a monitor similar to the ones used in tournament (a BenQ) and he said after practicing on it, he is more use to the input settings on the monitors used in tournament. He currently uses a GC controller and I have no info as to if he used a pro-controller in his early competitive life of Smash 4.

Top Bottom