• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ideal DI?

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Hey guys, just wanted to check out if my information regarding the usage of DI to survive KO-potentialed attacks at high percentages is correct.

Being send upwards: Input fastest aerial attack + press either left or right on the analog stick

Being send Rightwards/Leftwards: Input fastest aerial attack + press Right-up/Left-up respectively.

Of course, any special ability that a character possess that may help momentum cancel is included. (Ex: G&W bucket, D3's FF, ZSS Down-special, Wario's Bike, etc)

Questions: What if you're being sent toward the upper corners of the stages? What should be pressed after inputting one's fastest aerial attack?

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
You should DI before you input an aerial, first of all.
Second, just aim for the corner. If you're launched towards the corner... you're fine.
Third, input aerial + fast-fall when you get the chance.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
You should DI before you input an aerial, first of all.
Second, just aim for the corner. If you're launched towards the corner... you're fine.
Third, input aerial + fast-fall when you get the chance.
Thanks again for the support

Hey guys, just wanted to check out if my information regarding the usage of DI to survive KO-potentialed attacks at high percentages is correct.

Being send upwards: Input fastest aerial attack + press either left or right on the analog stick

Being send Rightwards/Leftwards: Input fastest aerial attack + press Right-up/Left-up respectively.

Of course, any special ability that a character possess that may help momentum cancel is included. (Ex: G&W bucket, D3's FF, ZSS Down-special, Wario's Bike, etc)

Questions: What if you're being sent toward the upper corners of the stages? What should be pressed after inputting one's fastest aerial attack?

You hold the control stick in a direction before you exit those freeze frames (hitlag) after getting hit in order to affect your trajectory.

For vertical knockback, it doesn't matter what aerial you use. You just need to make sure you fast fall the aerial by pressing the control stick down. The purpose of the aerial is simply to activate the fast fall which reduces your momentum. The reason you use the fastest aerial ending aerial is simply to regain control of your character the fastest after trying to fast fall. Why? Imagine MK and snake get hit by his explosive at the same time and get knocked near each other. If Snake tries canceling with his Dair the move takes forever to end. MK could try attacking snake during this lag because he got out faster than Snake did. Note: C-stick down automatically fast falls.

Horizontal knockback there is not much you can do to reduce momentum. You just need to make sure you get proper angle after being launched then start drifting. By drifting, I mean holding left or right and the character drifts in the air in that direction. This does reduce some of your momentum from horizontal knockback.

If you get launched by a move that is not mostly vertical or horizontal, you need to hold the control stick in a way that does not affect your trajectory in extreme ways. Since momentum canceling through fast falling is much more effective than drifting, you want to affect your trajectory so that you get launched more vertical, but still enough sideways that you go towards the corner.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
You hold the control stick in a direction before you exit those freeze frames (hitlag) after getting hit in order to affect your trajectory.

For vertical knockback, it doesn't matter what aerial you use. You just need to make sure you fast fall the aerial by pressing the control stick down. The purpose of the aerial is simply to activate the fast fall which reduces your momentum. The reason you use the fastest aerial ending aerial is simply to regain control of your character the fastest after trying to fast fall. Why? Imagine MK and snake get hit by his explosive at the same time and get knocked near each other. If Snake tries canceling with his Dair the move takes forever to end. MK could try attacking snake during this lag because he got out faster than Snake did. Note: C-stick down automatically fast falls
I thought you should press right or left (aim for the corner) when you are being send vertically? Most character use their fastest aerial when being send vertically as well, it's rare to see a top player using D-air (if it isn't the fastest aerial) to Fast-Fall immediately.

I thought you should press right or left (aim for the corner) when you are being send vertically? Most character use their fastest aerial when being send vertically as well, it's rare to see a top player using D-air (if it isn't the fastest aerial) to Fast-Fall immediately.
When I said down, I meant after you started the aerial to perform a fast fall. Before you exit hitlag (freeze frames) you need to hold left or right for your DI on vertical knockback.

I am trying to point out to you that fastest aerial is not always necessary depending upon the character. I'll use another example. Falco's fastest aerial is Uair. However, how many frames do you think you waste between getting hit, inputting an aerial, then pushing down on the control stick for a fast fall? Quite a lot. An alternative is to use Falco's Dair. All you have to do to get the fast fall is mash the c-stick down which is much faster than inputting the uair into mashing down on the control stick. Thus, your momentum cancel comes out faster at the cost of a little bit more ending lag.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
When I said down, I meant after you started the aerial to perform a fast fall. Before you exit hitlag (freeze frames) you need to hold left or right for your DI on vertical knockback.

I am trying to point out to you that fastest aerial is not always necessary depending upon the character. I'll use another example. Falco's fastest aerial is Uair. However, how many frames do you think you waste between getting hit, inputting an aerial, then pushing down on the control stick for a fast fall? Quite a lot. An alternative is to use Falco's Dair. All you have to do to get the fast fall is mash the c-stick down which is much faster than inputting the uair into mashing down on the control stick. Thus, your momentum cancel comes out faster at the cost of a little bit more ending lag.
So let's take a hypothetical scenario: You get hit by Snake's uptilt by ZSS. What you do is SDI right or leftwards when you initially get hit by Snake's Uptilt, then perform an Up-air while pressing down on the analog stick... Is this correct?
You need to stop making threads for every single question you have. You can just post, you know.
Thank you, I am aware of that... You did post this statement in my previous thread as well. I will take this into account next time I have a question :)

So let's take a hypothetical scenario: You get hit by Snake's uptilt by ZSS. What you do is SDI right or leftwards when you initially get hit by Snake's Uptilt, then perform an Up-air while pressing down on the analog stick... Is this correct?
Let me make this hypothetical situation more specific:

-Snake is on the left side of final destination almost right next to the ledge. Snake is facing to the left.
-You are ZSS in the air next to Snake on his left side.
-Snake uses Utilt and you get hit by his Utilt.

Now, this is the best possible way for ZSS to survive in this situation.
1) SDI left-&-down diagonally during hitlag (freeze frames) by tapping the sticks in that direction.
2) Before hitlag is finished move the control stick all the way to the right and hold until hitlag is over with.
3) After hitlag has finished either time or mash Uair until the move comes out.
4) After Uair has come out, shove the control stick down to initiate your fast fall.

You have successively:
-SDI’d during hitlag to give you a tiny bit of extra flying distance between you and the upper ceiling.
-DI’d after exiting hitlag (altering your trajectory) to again give you some extra flying distance before reaching the upper ceiling.
-Momentum Canceled to reduce how much distance you go flying.

All three of those steps constitute “Proper/Ideal DI”.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Let me make this hypothetical situation more specific:

-Snake is on the left side of final destination almost right next to the ledge. Snake is facing to the left.
-You are ZSS in the air next to Snake on his left side.
-Snake uses Utilt and you get hit by his Utilt.

Now, this is the best possible way for ZSS to survive in this situation.
1) SDI left-&-down diagonally during hitlag (freeze frames) by tapping the sticks in that direction.
2) Before hitlag is finished move the control stick all the way to the right and hold until hitlag is over with.
3) After hitlag has finished either time or mash Uair until the move comes out.
4) After Uair has come out, shove the control stick down to initiate your fast fall.

You have successively:
-SDI’d during hitlag to give you a tiny bit of extra flying distance between you and the upper ceiling.
-DI’d after exiting hitlag (altering your trajectory) to again give you some extra flying distance before reaching the upper ceiling.
-Momentum Canceled to reduce how much distance you go flying.

All three of those steps constitute “Proper/Ideal DI”.
That sounds quite difficult to perform all together :ohwell:, do top players usually perform all those steps in a matter of 2-3 seconds?
I appreciate your help, thanks :grin:

The best possible "proper DI" is pretty much impossible for any person. Most moves only last about 6-8 frames of hitlag. Which means you only have 6-8 frames to SDI and it takes a tap every frame to get more distance. So, 6-8 taps in 1/10 of a second is impossible. However, there are a few things you can do to make it easier. For one, say you whiffed a move like ZSS's grab. Snake will Utilt you for sure, so you start tapping for SDI before getting hit, and while tapping for SDI to the side, you end up with the trajectory change as well once you do get hit.

SDI is difficult to get on everything, so pretty much you should just focus on altering your trajectory with DI and momentum cancel to reduce knockback. On very predictable moves like CG -> spike from falco is one such thing you should be able to SDI. Other common things you should SDI are multi-hitting moves like Rob's Dsmash, Pikachu's Dsmash, rapid jabs, etc.

There are a few great players that are able to SDI some really weird things. Shmot/Attila from Australia comes to mind. He tends to have some outlandish SDI when he is about to get hit by a kill move at times.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
The best possible "proper DI" is pretty much impossible for any person. Most moves only last about 6-8 frames of hitlag. Which means you only have 6-8 frames to SDI and it takes a tap every frame to get more distance. So, 6-8 taps in 1/10 of a second is impossible. However, there are a few things you can do to make it easier. For one, say you whiffed a move like ZSS's grab. Snake will Utilt you for sure, so you start tapping for SDI before getting hit, and while tapping for SDI to the side, you end up with the trajectory change as well once you do get hit.

SDI is difficult to get on everything, so pretty much you should just focus on altering your trajectory with DI and momentum cancel to reduce knockback. On very predictable moves like CG -> spike from falco is one such thing you should be able to SDI. Other common things you should SDI are multi-hitting moves like Rob's Dsmash, Pikachu's Dsmash, rapid jabs, etc.

There are a few great players that are able to SDI some really weird things. Shmot/Attila from Australia comes to mind. He tends to have some outlandish SDI when he is about to get hit by a kill move at times.
What about DSSDI? The C-stick does come into play for extended SDI. Do you have any idea on how to DSSDI properly? I've heard that sometimes you need to tilt your C-stick the opposite way of your analog stick to make it work (Example: Analog stick Southwest, C-stick Southeast). However, in other methods it's used as: Analog stick Southwest, C-stick Northeast.. What can the C-stick offer in various different/same direction(s) as the analog stick to SDI-ing?

Top Bottom