• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ideal Controller Positioning/Hold

b00tyClapper

Smash Rookie
NNID
b00tyClapper
I was just wondering how everyone positions/holds their controller when playing. I was specifically looking for the most optimal hand positioning for Jigglypuff.

I'm aware that some pro Puffs like HBox have really strange hand positioning (He jumps with Analog-Up, and L-cancels with Z). In my eyes this staggers optimal play across multiple characters.

I have recently been practicing with Z-Trigger to execute aerials, and I've been trying to move to C-stick for aerials since for me it's easier to do rising wall of pains, however with C-stick I have a very difficult time controlling rising aerials.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ya Boy,
b00tyClapper

Snools

Smash Rookie
I feel the only reasons to deviate from the "default" position would be a matter of physicality (not enough fingers in one place, like Peach claw) or if it's simply more comfortable. * Since you're playing Jiggs, who doesn't have any crazy tech speed things, just go with whatever works. Although I would suggest against using z-trigger or A for anything but nair, so you keep aerial drift during your aerial attacks

*Edit: accidentally hit ctrl-enter...

Last edited:

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to quote my post from this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/r-vs-l.436162/

I hold the gamecube controller similar to how my dad taught me to hold a guitar(classically trained) as relaxed as possible, literally so that pressing anything takes as little effort as possible, but still able to be very fast, as to minimize fatigue and hand strain.
Essentially the way I hold the controller with my right hand doesn't allow my middle finger to easily press down fully the:GCRT: stick, while the left hand can easily, and the index finger is free; whenever I would want to hold the analog with both fingers for precision recoveries.

Imgur

Due to this I pretty much use :GCLT: for hard shielding and L--canceling, while I use :GCRT: for light shields, and anything else where I wouldn't want to press fully down on the analog.
When I press :GCY:, :GCB:, or :GCA: I do not completely reposition my thumb, I use a different area of it for each button.

For :GCY: I use the the end of the bottom part of the thumb (around a centimeter from the very tip of it toward the middle base of the bottom of the thumb).
For :GCB: I tilt my thumb to the left and use the left side of the thumb's middle joint right where the joint skin fold is.
For :GCA: I use the middle joint of the thumb by pushing the tip of my thumb out and the rest inward.

If I'm just coming from b and want to use it, I use the right side of the end of the lower end of the thumb around 2 millimeters above the joint skin fold.

I do not use :GCX: so far for anything, but if i were I would tilt the thumb to the right and use the right side of the middle joint.

This took me a while to get used to but actually made me faster in the long run, my fox neutral's particularly were much faster.

:GCZ: has pretty much the right index finger completely dedicated to it.

For the :GCCN: stick I use the thumb as follows:
:GCCD: Lower left side of middle thumb joint.
:GCCL: Left(slightly upper) side of thumb knuckle
:GCCR: Center-Left side of the middle joint fold of thumb.
:GCCU: Left Underside of thumb middle joint (I kinda catch it like a hook with the joint).

This allows for me to keep my hand in its most relaxed state for the majority of the time and returning it to a neutral position in a the most relaxed quick way I possibly can.

This is for my hand size, just giving you a general idea of position may vary depending on your hand size.

I don't play play :jigglypuffmelee: advanced at all, but maybe those c stick positions can help. If your a fox main who gets hand pains, give this a try. It will take a couple of hours to switch but you'll notice with proper hand care you'll have much more stamina and consistency from lack of constant hand stiffness and fatigue.

Last edited:

captainmar

Smash Rookie
NNID
captainmar
I have been told that my inputs are really weird. I tend to jump with X and when I wavedash/land I use L but L-Cancel I use R. I also tend to use Z to do Airs occasionally. I don't play fox/falco unless I am messing around so I don't think it is all that bad but he always asks me how I am supposed to double laser like that.

Top Bottom