• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Idea: Using DAir as a ground attack (Or as i call it, Radddish Hopping)

The Hammer Bro

Smash Rookie
So, I was playing in training, trying to think of strategies and combo starters, when i decided to try and find out if you could activate jump and DAir on the same frame. What ended up happening is me dashing to the target and then pressing up on the LStick, and down on the RStick at the same time, effecively making it a decent attack on ground. Since Raddish can boost you downwards to the ground if you quickly tap down on LStick, if you shorthop and activate both raddish and the fastfall it as soon as possible, you attack and go back to ground, and you could (in theory) attack almost right after doing this because of the fast recovery of Villager's DAir. in conjunction with downtilt or upsmash it can be a combostarter, or maybe as a quick alternate attack if youre in a pinch and need to attack in as few frames as possible.

(Disclaimer: I've mained villager since day 1, but im new to competitive villager and combos. If this has already been discovered or is impractical, constructice critique is appreciated)

Last edited:

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791
I feel like this is quite similar to rising nair, which probably covers more options. I'll test this out later, though, and see if it's fast enough to be a viable tactic.

Also, you don't need to use tap jump, right? For example, I occasionally use R to jump, and I feel that this would work as effectively or more effectively than the tap jump method you described.

The Hammer Bro

Smash Rookie
I feel like this is quite similar to rising nair, which probably covers more options. I'll test this out later, though, and see if it's fast enough to be a viable tactic.

Also, you don't need to use tap jump, right? For example, I occasionally use R to jump, and I feel that this would work as effectively or more effectively than the tap jump method you described.
Oh, you don't have to, its just that performing a tap jump feels more symmetrical and comfortable to me. You can use any jump, just activate downair at the same time and you should be good.

(Edit: Spelling)

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I've done this quite a bit as a combo extender or tech chase/covering getup options but not really as a combo starter.

Upair's a good combo started tho :D

Dripple

Smash Cadet
NNID
qugasl09
3DS FC
1693-5939-6738
If your opponent is grounded and at high %, I've found that down air to up air can kill.

Last edited:

StockTaker69

Smash Rookie
i like to use grounded dairs against short characters like ness or pikachu. packs more of a punch than a nair, you can get down air to upair which is really strong, and you can get really cool combos out of late hit dairs especially if it's 1 turnip

it also works as a nice out of shield option for a harder punish than nair

Last edited:
Top Bottom