• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Idea that will give the most replayability in the next Smash

DarkDragon7

Smash Apprentice
Ok sorry about the long title... anyways I've been sitting on this idea for a while and I REALLY strongly suggest it would be put into play in the next Smash Brothers. It's kinda like the capsule system in DBZ Budokai (I know... eww).

Anyways, each character should have a certain number of slots like say 10 or so, and that would allow for custom configuration of your characters. These slots would be fitted with items, each that take up slots towards your 10 point total.

Let me use Link as an example. As you play through the game, you unlock his steel boots. You could equip them on Link so when you played as your custom Link, he couldn't run and his jumps would be horrible but you'd have so much weight that it would take you to nearly 400% to die. Or a longshot that would increase the size of his hookshot's throw range. Or how about a stun blaster for Fox? A rapid fire for Falco? And probably many more. One that comes to mind to is make Roy equip a different sword with it's sweet spot at the tip. I think this would just add diversity between different characters and actually strengthen certain characters.

This could also change certain moves. Ness could have different PK moves rather then just fire, flash, and thunder. You could take out one and substitute it with another, in the same button configuration that they had.

What do you think? I think it would just be good to see some cool items like the mirror sheild, having the racoon tail as Mario, Bowser having his chomp from Super Mario RPG along with Mario's hammer. I just think that by having more customization over my fighters in a game, that I can enjoy it more. This helps a lot too when trying to make scenarios that me and my friends play. Different equipment would definately be in order if you try and reinact say Super Mario RPG.

LUIGI PSYCHO

Smash Apprentice
:crazy: From my point of view that would be a very cool idea, let's hope Nintendo does something like that in the next game.

Why don't you send a letter to them? :D

DarkDragon7

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm you know that doesn't sound too bad. It might actually just work. Well I got to go now and get ready for the day cause then I'm going to my friend Kenny's house to play Smash all day. Tournament = 1 Week from Today!

Black Knight

Smash Rookie
that is one BRILLIANT idea, cuz it would bring more originality to every players since lots of peep use the same guy and its always the same when u fight them.

But the problem is that WILL NINTENDO HAVE THE PATIENCE TO DO THIS???

I hope so...

Pointman

Smash Rookie
That is a really cool idea, it could even help out with the currently uneven tier system, making each character able to change thier advantages and disadvantages to combat thier opponents...

DarkDragon7

Smash Apprentice
Yeah see what I mean? If Bowser had a decent projectile like say Falco's or Fox's blaster, he'd be a lot better? Or what if you gave him like some kind of equipment where he could gain a spike? He'd be better right? I thought this idea was probably one of the most original and better ideas to add to this game to make it so much better.

The Muffin King

Smash Ace
eewww....

=/

Meh, I'm not really fond of the idea. Too much randomness and too many variables. The game would be too hard to balance I think. Besides, I think it's just too impractical. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it in theory but I doubt if it could be executed properly.

It sounds like it could be fun, but at the same time...meh.

So I don't really have an opinion.

TopVideoGamer

Smash Journeyman
I'm not really fond of that idea. It's just... blah. Customising characters doesn't seem like something that should be in the game and as some people are likely to get better stuff, it wouldn't make tiers less existant, only more.

If anything were to be implimented, it should be "Match Maker", a mode where you can create a custom event match. Think about it, customizing each characters stock, handicap, size, even number of opponents (such as consecutively one on one fights) and other rules, basically everything.

Sil\/erLink

Smash Journeyman
Well I like that idea actually, its a bit like what Namco is already doing with Soul Caliber II...

It would add a lot more depth to the game then it already has, and it would add new strategies as well...
Good idea

Fox Legend

Smash Apprentice
I agree with top video gamer, this would only make tiers a bigger problem, it could be "fun" if done right, but it would make the game more unbalanced

Y

Yeroc

I have to agree with TVG and fox legend as well. Correct me if I'm wrong silver link, but don't all the extra weapons in SC2 have the same stat changes for each character? Or are at least similar? The way I'm reading this idea, these items wouldn't necessarily have similar qualities for all characters, and that would cause a balancing nightmare.

MrSilver

BRoomer
BRoomer
For casual play this would be cool. Like you say it would give it more replay value.

But for tournament play it woul be horible. Not only would it probably make balancing even worse but it would also make tournaments **** to run. Think about it, would a tournament run smoothly if for every match 10 items had to be configured to the contestants liking? It's just way to impractical. Now if there would be the option to just turn it off for tournaments play then it would be allright I suppose. If it couldn't be turned off it would pretty much axe most tournament play, something this feature is not worth in my opinion.

Playing

Smash Cadet
Well thats pretty neat idea, the ONLY problem is having the save cards. You go to a buddy's house and learn that his game hasnt unlocked your items, then you will be handicapped ? BUT wouldn't this remove the "clones" ? Mario and turn into Doc Mario for some matchups forsay, ala Zelda/shiek?

Y

Yeroc

Oh for casual yeah, it would be great. Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind doing some of that. I had just been thinking about its possible impact on the tourney scene though. If they did do something like this, they'd probably have 2 modes like in SC2, one with extra stuff, one with defaults. Then it would work great.

Fox_2k3

Smash Journeyman
Hey man i have 2 things to say first you are very creative and that ideas is the most cooles one I ever heard about.

YellowYoshi

Smash Rookie
This is a GREAT idea, but I can see that it would be very hard to keep the game balanced as a result.

Also, how would you allow 4 different players to load their custom settings for a 4 player Smash session?

Evil Sacrafice

Smash Journeyman
Your idea is very creative.....but i dont think it would actually ever happen. Nintendo will read your letter if you write to them and say its a great idea...then they will throw out your letter. Trust me from experience, nintendo can be mean at times.... Anyway, this idea is cool and all but it will make everything screwy, it keeps a character from being themselves....it wouldnt maintain that smash bros feeling....but on the other hand, it gives new play modes and adds an interesting twist to the game. Well, it soulds cool and all, but you know.... it shouldnt happen....makes everything all random. This might even take more time to make....now if i was to choose this over an online smash bros.....i would be crazy. I say before anybody considers this...let smash bros go online first, i mean reall :mad:

OldSkoolMar831

Smash Apprentice
My idea was kind of similiar to this. My idea was that you could choose a "fighting style" for each character. For example, you could play as the current Mario, FLUDD Mario, Raccoon Mario, or Hammer Mario. You could play as the current Luigi, Vaccuum Luigi, Fire Luigi, or Cape Luigi. You could play as the current Ganondorf, Ganondorf with his giant sword, Ganondorf with his *****, or Ganon himself. What do you think?

EDIT: Just to be nice, I erased it! :D

Evil Sacrafice

Smash Journeyman
There are certain things that ive been trying to avoid for a while....but you did it....you just spilled on what ganon is like. How was i supposed to know that he had 2 swords if i havent even got half way through the game.....thanks a bunch:grrr: :mad: :grrr: :grrr:

dada101

Smash Journeyman
i think they can maybe make a different ending like if you finish in blah amount of time or something
also what about fixing up some of the AI flaws like in some levels they just air dodge and die and luigi with his UP B
maybe make ai level higher like maybe if you beat like classic on very hard you get to make the AI level 10 or something

Vaerix

Smash Journeyman
very nice idea, but it probably will never be put into action. the unbalancedness could actually be good, so that you could have a pichu fight a marth and have equal strengths.

Styx

Smash Apprentice
Sweet

Thats a sweet idea which could also make it more challenging for the gods of smash, and give the game, like u said, lots of replayability

DarkDragon7

Smash Apprentice
If they don't put this thing into effect, I'd like to see the Match Maker like someone said. Customizing the "Victory" and "Defeat" scenarios. And make it so you can use Stamina and customize everyone's HP. And for a little extra bonus, make those kind of scenarios they have in Soul Calibur. You will slowly lose health, or you can't use this attack to do damage, or even better is you would be able to customize the damage and properties of certain moves in this Match Making mode. At least one mode with a lot of customization would be good. Although still leaving the next Smash with a default VS option was still something I always intended to have in mind. Just these options would be under special melee rules. That means that they dont' actually count towards records etc. Just something to make it fun when you don't feel like seriously playing.

Double Edge

Smash Cadet
That would definitely give it more replayability as far as recreational play is concerned but for the tournament play standpoint the current setup is better. Not a bad idea though.

Marth2k3

Smash Cadet
i've mentioned something like this before, basically what you about changing ness's moves different moves, although obviously more than just ness.

Numbuh 214

Smash Apprentice
A welcome destruction to tiers just may be what this game needs. And, maybe the game could "sense" more than 1 Wiimote/GC controller being synched with/plugged into the console and disable customization when this happens to promote fighting; but, to counteract this, players could put this data on their Wiimotes (a very good reason to promote Classic Controller sales)!

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
Dude, do you realize this topic is three years old? You shouldn't resurrect old threads.
Besides, things like these should be discussed in Brawl discussion, not in 3-year old threads.

Top Bottom