• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Idea: Input display

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Was thinking about how people learn things, and I got thinking of other fighting games, such as MVC. Hear me out first, but I am one, of many I imagine,who learns from instruction and explanations much easier compared to practicing new things off the bat. Example being, I learned how to batdrop in Melee by reading which inputs, and what is supposed to happen, but before I was rather lost when trying to replicate what I saw. Now, what I propose is some kind of "input display" function, in either VS or training mode, to aid people that learn like I do. I know that Smash is almost never made of designated inputs, but with some of the more technical aspects (waveshining, multishining, WDs) could do with a bit more of a visual aid when learning, rather than just watching and trying. A small listing display in the one of the corners (Maybe one corner for each character) would be more than enough really.

This would also be a very nice entertainment value, as half the time I use input display in MVC, its training, other half is just messing around, seeing how complex combos get, or just how fast I have to press buttons. I think both casual and competitive fans could find a use in this kind of thing (I for one would be entertained just by seeing someone like Dark with input display on lol).

The coding is another thing unfortunately. It seems there is a part of the game that already does read and display inputs, its just in the test area when creating a control scheme (when you are stuck as Mario). Atm it lists the button, and the action, so unless my knowledge of coding is really off, it seems like it would be easier than creating something entirely new.

Idk how possible this is really, but it seems like one of those small things like the buffer that could aid new people learning, and would also aid and entertain even veterans.

First idea I'v put out here, cheers.

Edit: friend recommended an example, the kind of thing that inspired this was both MVC's display, and this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXgpGBbh5r8
obviously not that huge, in the way, or descriptive (dont need to say what the button does i dont think, just what buttons are pressed in what order.)

Jandlebars

Still fallin'!
Doesn't really seem impossible, and it'd be a good addition, imo.
I wouldn't have any idea of how feasible it actually is, of course. >__>

Arcalyth

GLS | root
It'd be a nice step toward an enhanced training mode. We have quite a few brilliant modders in this community, so perhaps something will eventually come about :D

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
That would be really cool but I would like to see some other ideas for other things implemented first but that would be legit eventually. Maybe we could get more classical fighting game players here by doing so. Hell even eventually making character tutorials lol. You know to give new players or someone new to a character the basics of a character and the characters play style.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Doesn't really seem impossible, and it'd be a good addition, imo.
I wouldn't have any idea of how feasible it actually is, of course. >__>
It'd be a nice step toward an enhanced training mode. We have quite a few brilliant modders in this community, so perhaps something will eventually come about :D
Well like I said, there is already be a part of the game that both reads inputs from any controller type, as well as displaying the button pressed with visuals (the button itself, color and everything) in the controller calibration area. Again I don't know exactly, but it shouldn't be as hard to port this into another mode (maybe replace one of those silly options in the special brawl area, those are pretty much open in my eyes.) as it was to completely change or add a feature. But this is just what I understand, which isn't much.

That would be really cool but I would like to see some other ideas for other things implemented first but that would be legit eventually. Maybe we could get more classical fighting game players here by doing so. Hell even eventually making character tutorials lol. You know to give new players or someone new to a character the basics of a character and the characters play style.
I understand this point, although I see this as helpful for bringing new players in as the buffer is. The buffer attracts new players because it is something sort of comfortable for those coming from brawl, as well as being a teaching aid (making some techs easier). Input display would attract people from other games, again as something comfortable and similar, as well as helping in teaching which buttons are used. I know from personal experience I never considered using Z for aerials and l-cancels nor did I understand things like waveshines when I first saw them (of course I didn't use the button much to jump, so even then it was difficult. But learning earlier on that the button is the way to go would have saved me all that time trying to use the tap jump.)

this is somewhat biased tho lol, of course I like my idea, just would love to get a BR opinion on this. Thx for posts btw :)

Top Bottom