• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Idea for the Fire

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I've been watching PM videos and I see Roy has some very D&Desque fire effects on some moves, especially the way the flames appear and disappear. This made me think, would it be possible to have the flames show on all moves and even his idles and motions but only when he's within a certain distance of his opponent.

If so, I would love this because it would be a sweet looking reference to the classic workings of fire swords.
What are you guys' thoughts?

tehmarkysparky

Smash Rookie
I think that's a excellent idea, however, in my opinion with all the work that would have to be done for the desired results (i don't know how difficult it would actually be, but I figure at the least it would be fairly time consuming) I'd rather have that time spent going towards gameplay changes as opposed to visuals.

Maybe if someone made this mod independently and submitted it?

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
This would be amazing, but do you mean this as a purely esthetic effect or it would actually burn the opponent in a similar fashion to the Curry Spice item?

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
It is my understanding that many of Roy's moves already have such an effect on their hits. I see no reason for that to change and, while it could potentially extend to the majority of his moveset with this, I do not believe curry style burn on mere contact would be good for the character.
I had intended for this to be purely visual, since increasing the effect of attacks when enemies are near seems like unnecessary effort when only a few stage hazards would make any use of the weaker versions at all.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
It is my understanding that many of Roy's moves already have such an effect on their hits. I see no reason for that to change and, while it could potentially extend to the majority of his moveset with this, I do not believe curry style burn on mere contact would be good for the character.
I had intended for this to be purely visual, since increasing the effect of attacks when enemies are near seems like unnecessary effort when only a few stage hazards would make any use of the weaker versions at all.
Well, I didn't mean specifically curry effect per Se, it was really what popped into my head first. I guess, I meant each time he lands a successful blow they have a small burning effect where small percentage amounts are added onto their total for a small duration (say, one two seconds); kind of like the burn status effect from the Pokemon series except it doesn't keep going till they die. And obviously it'd vary between the attacks, I have my doubts this is feasible or would be fair. Haha.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
So do I but perhaps, with a low base damage on his attacks, it could be made balanced. I don't believe it's my place to judge that.
Also, I never realised the curry had such an effect since it hits too fast to easily keep track of the damage.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Could we get some opinions from the PM Dev team? Or is it not feasible?
@ ryuu seika ryuu seika Of course. The base would have to be low.
-
On a separate note, someone told me they thought Roy was a power character. Opinions? [I totally disagree.]

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Melee Roy atleast traded Marth's abilities for some explosive visuals. In terms of gameplay, it was hardly a fair trade but Roy looked like a power character, even if he wasn't one. I've never played him in Project M but he certainly doesn't look like he's all about power and, what with that being Ike's strength, I really doubt he is.

If I was the one designing Roy, he'd be high knockback and low hitstun, due to how fire functions in Nintendo games, with low damage but enough manoeuvrability to allow him to be in the right place at the right time if he predicts how his opponent will respond to the knockback.
That's not the point of the thread though, Roy doesn't look like he needs a redesign of he playstyle.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
You cannot have "High knockback, low hitstun." Knockback is what hitstun is based off of.

I'd also suggest actually playing Roy before making suggestions. :alakadoof: And no, the idea in the OP isn't feasible.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
At no point was I suggesting that gameplay changes to the character actually be made, I know I lack the authority to do so.
That last post was simply a response to the question in the post before, explaining how I saw the character and how I, personally, would have chosen to differentiate him from Marth. It was never meant to be taken as a suggestion.

As for the unfeasibility of the original idea, I believe you but would like more information if possible. Why is it impossible?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
As for the unfeasibility of the original idea, I believe you but would like more information if possible. Why is it impossible?
On top of potentially overwhemling the game with graphical effects, (Especially in 4 player matches if there's more than one Roy), there's no easy way to say "If character is within x units of a character," without it also triggering on stage hurtboxes, items, etc. and certainly no way to do so on the 500 or so subactions that every character has without putting a line of code in every single subaction. Not to mention having to work around existing effects that may or not be around, working around animations where the sword may be sheathed at one point, etc. On top of likely not looking all that great as a universal effect, it's not really feasible anyways. And with our team's limited resources, we're trying to get the most bang (Cool new features, art, and quality gameplay) for our buck. (Time.)

As with the gameplay comment, people should probably look into the process of modifying Brawl themselves before requesting complicated (or seemingly simple) code to be done. It's a very limiting system that we're stuck in, and honestly amazing that we're even able to do what we can.

I'm not trying to single you out with that bit above, for what it's worth. There's a ton of people that try and make "simple" requests without knowing exactly what it is they're asking. And having to break-down why it's infeasible gets real old after the first few tries. (Also uses up that precious "time" resource.)

Anyways, I'd really recommend giving Roy (And the rest of Project M) a try. Despite his superficial similarities to Marth, he's definitely his own fun, crazy beast. Plus fire.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Thanks for the reply, I certainly don't take your response personally. I've dabbled in coding in the past and I know how much of a pain some seemingly simple things can be. From the very start, I asked about the possibility rather than simply putting it forward as an idea because I had some inkling that that would be the case.
By the sounds of it, the effect would be technically possible (with stage hazard issues, mind), just beyond the limits of staff time and disk space. Still well beyond the realm of plausibility and definitely not worth the effort though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom