• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Idea for Project: amiibo amigo

LaunchStar

Smash Cadet
So as I was stroking my amiibo collection thoughtfully, I started thinking about how it sucks that some amiibo are short in supply and how people may never get an amiibo they really want or need to play a game.

I began researching exactly how amiibo work, and how their NFC tags function. After some research, I created a basic framework for this app I might develop if I can figure it out. It goes as thus:

Android devices contain built-in NFC field detectors and loggers (this allows some apps to transfer data between phones and such), and can react to NFC objects like credit cards, car keys, and *gasp* amiibo.

What if an app existed that could serve as a pseudo-substitute for amiibo you couldn't/don't have? How this works isn't complicated at all, so allow me to elaborate.

Each amiibo contains a small chip in the base that has a code that is unique to each amiibo. When the amiibo is placed on the GamePad and interacts with a game, the reader in the GamePad recognizes that code and the game responds accordingly. When the amiibo is saved or edited (like in Smash), the code is changed accordingly.

Using built-in functionality and API within Android devices, you can touch an amiibo to your Android device and copy its NFC code to your device, then tap your Android device to your GamePad. This would function exactly as an amiibo would. You could backup your amiibo data in case it gets damaged or lost.

But, taking this a step further, you could select a pre-installed NFC code from this app for an amiibo you didn't have (say, a rare one like King DeDeDe or Rosalina), and it would function just as the actual amiibo would once touched to the GamePad.

Now, in order to keep amiibo from going obsolete (and Nintendo from suing the pants off me), you wouldn't be able to save or edit the amiibo you didn't have, meaning you'd have to start from scratch each time, maintaining an incentive to buy the amiibo.

What do you guys think?

Wibbles

Smash Cadet
That sounds pretty neat, but I think that most people want amiibos for the model itself more than the software capabilities.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
I'd like this a lot, if anything just so I can get the Fire Emblem characters in Codename S.T.E.A.M without having to spend a ton of money. Yes, please make this.

Top Bottom