• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Idea for Olimar's overall fighting style

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
Simply put, this is how I think playable olimar will be played.

Down Special - Pikmin Uproot. This is the only speicial move I can think of and is very important to his moveset. He pulls out a Pikmin (up to five can be on the battlefield at one time, he starts out with one at the beginning of the battle) who follow him as he jumps and runs around the battlefield. Now, Olimar needs the pikmin to attack, so he'll take the ones following him and smack his opponents with them. However, Olimar has one fatal weakness: if he runs out of Pikmin, he can't attack. How does he run out? If they fall off the stage, then they of course aren't usable. Also, sometimes the pikmin separate and don't follow Olimar (much like the game). Olimar can gain them back, but he has to run back to where they are. Also, while they are seperate, opponents can attack them. This does no damage to Olimar, it just knocks the Pikmin around, but if one falls off the stage in all this, he's lost and Olimar has to uproot another.

That's my idea. Thoughts?

gecko8721

Smash Cadet
cool idea..............maybe if the pikmin die..olimar gets a little damage

Chepe

Smash Lord
Pikmin dieing and damaging Olimar for it? Its probably bad enough to lose one because you are one step closer to not being able to use powerful attacks. My idea is similar to the OP's but... I dont think Olimar will be limited to Pikmin pluck when he is out of Pikmin. Heres the way I think he will be:

Olimar starts out with 3 Pikmin every match (the ones in his profile pic), which means he can defend himself at the beginning without much danger of having a heavy handicap too soon (especially in 4 player matches). He uses Pikmin for all smash attacks, aerials, tilts, Up B recovery, and Side B (which I think involves hurling or sending Pikmin forward). Olimar can use the following without any Pikmin: neutral B (for Kirby copy purposes), Down B (Pikmin pluck probably), and repeat A move (the slaps from his games). His grab... I cant say comfortably whether or not he uses Pikmin...

If Olimar works close to the way I see him, he will be quite a defensive character indeed...

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
I have an idea of how Olimar would play. It's quite exciting, if I do say so myself. Remember, I'm just speculating and having fun here. (Supporting details in parenthesis)

Olimar's quite the explorer, but he's no Flash Gordon. Combat isn't one of his talents. If you try to take on another fighter mano-a-mano, you're gonna get smashed so hard, Olimar will wind up on his home planet. To make up for his deficiency, he uses his endless horde of perpetually propagating alien carrot monsters: the pikmin. (Dojo statement: He can't even do a smash attack without pikmin.)

So what are pikmin? They're the soldiers in your one man army. Similar to the subspace enemies, pikmin don't die from getting knocked offscreen, but by simply taking damage. They follow Olimar loyally, and will stay by his side whenever they can. If not being commanded, they will protect Olimar on both sides. When Olimar attacks, the pikmin will mimic him. With pikmin at his side, his A attacks will be more powerful, depending on the number of pikmin following him.

Pikmin serve another purpose as well: Ammo. Using pikmin is tricky, but not difficult. Olimar begins with the maximum of five at his side, in no specific order. They will all be necessary for special attacks. Olimar's specials are a little odd. The up, neutral and side moves are all chargeable, and they all use pikmin. The different level of charge will determine how many pikmin will be used. For example, his b move, when tapped, will send one pikmin rushing forward. At best, a minor distraction. But when charged, as many as four or five pikmin will rush the enemy, dealing big damage and crushing anything that get in his way. After being launched in an attack, pikmin will run back to olimar, but single pikmin on their own are easily picked off by powerful enemies. His down B is a move that powers up his pikmin, changing them from leaves to buds to flowers. Empowered pikmin deal more damage, more knockback, and can take more damage before succumbing to the cold hand of death. With a full force of five, flowery pikmin, Olimar is one of the toughest characters in the game...Until his pikmin get picked off, that is.

It's important to sow what you will reap. Olimar's specials, which all use up Pikmin, change under certain conditions, like when no pikmin are near him. Instead of throwing pikmin, he throws seeds. Seeds do very little damage and barely even make an enemy flinch. But as soon as they hit the ground, they turn into buried pikmin. Buried pikmin won't follow Olimar around, but they will attack any enemies that come near them. They can be plucked from the ground only by olimar, who picks them up as though grabbing an item. You can have five buried pikmin at the same time as five unearthed pikmin, but no more.

So how do you effectively play as Olimar? Coordination. Don't let your Pikmin get too far away from you, or you'll be in trouble. Multitasking. When your pikmin are off fighting, plant a few seeds. And skill. The better you are at commanding your pikmin, the harder it will be for your enemies to attack you directly.

And how do you play against him? You can try to destroy his pikmin, but he'll just make more. The only thing to do is wait for your chance and, when it comes, nail the vulnerable Olimar good and hard.

Well, that was all just speculation. But hey, I had fun.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I like the sound of that. It would make him quite different from existing characters, at the very least.

Haddad-07

Smash Cadet
For anyone who has played Metroid Prime Hunters Ithink olimar will play like weavel's alt. He will lets the pikmin do the work while he scouts but when the come together they are formidable.

Revone

Smash Rookie
I think the pikmin will work like a charging system.

Standard B- pluck a pikmin out of the ground (about 1 per 1-1.5 sec is the fastest)(Red, blue, yellow, white, purple in that order and you can't get any of the latter ones if you don't currently have all the previous ones )

Side B- send a pikmin running in that direction. If it comes into contact with an enemy, it will latch on and continue attacking until the victim knocks it off by repeatedly attacking (like getting rid of latching redead in melee) You only get rid of one pikmin at a time, but you can have several on you at one time if they are sent out quick enough. They may even slow you down and reduce your jump height. Remember, pikmin are not complete idiots and may have some homing/terrain following abilities

down B- throw a pikmin. similar to sideways B, but good for getting units above you. if they land on the ground, they'll just start running

sideB and down B cause you to lose a pikmin

upB- recovery move- pikmin parachute. all of your current pikmin hold hands and form a glider like structure above you. the more pikmin you have the slower the decent and thus the easier it is to save yourself. Only exception is the purple one which actually increases your rate of decent, while the yellow one is better at gliding than any of the others. This means that with no pikmin, one has pretty much no chance of recovering, and the best recovery is when you have only 4 pikmin as the last one worsens the recovery. Worst recovery is when you only have a purple pikmin, in which case you'd be better off not pressing up and B, but just try to jump back as best as possible.

standard and smash attacks: use the lowest pikmin and smack the opponent with it. smash attacks are amongst the most powerful in the game, but you lose the currently wielded pikmin. whacking with pikmin does a lot more damage than your fists.

PIKMIN TYPES:
red-fire- adds fire damage like charizard
blue-water- adds water damage like blastoise (is that the one?)
yellow-electricity- adds electric damage like picachu
white-poison- adds poison damage, which continues doing damage even after the pikmin has been thrown off.
purple-mass- purple is significantly more powerful than the other pikmin (5 times?). rather than latching onto victims, he just knocks them horizontally quite a way and does one time damage. As a hand to hand weapon he does a lot of damage and knock back (especially when used as a smash attack). But remember, this power comes at a cost: severly reduced recovery abilities, you need to pick 5 pikmin, and than get rid of 4 of them.

I think this kind of caharacter would do just to the pikmin games. You have the different elements, the idea of swarming enemies, basic attack methods, and the fact that its a strategy game. Do you get the purple one for more damage and knock back, but reduced recovery? do you send them all at once for a powerful damage overtime attack, or one at a time to avoid the situation of not having any protection for yourself? Olimar would be a powerful character, with hit and run techniques (attack and than fill up on pikmin again) making the player take some time to get out of the fray and think about what their next move will be.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Here's my take on Olimar:

Numbered Stats (Out of 5)
Strength: 3
Speed: 3.5
Weight: 2.5
Strategy: 4.5
Jump: 3.5
Grabs: 3

Max Pikmin: 20, 4 of each color

Style: Strategic

Moves (Standard)
AAA: 3 consecutive slaps
Side A: Pikmin swing
Up A: Swings Pikmin up
Down A: Pulls out 2 and spins around

Moves (Aerial)
A: Short spin attack
Up A: Flip kickk
Side A: Pikmin swing
Down A: Purple Pikmin swing down
Back A: Backwards kick

Moves (Grab)
Forward: Standard Throw
Down: Slams down with Purple
Up: Throws up, and tosses out a rope of Pikmin that slam the enemy back down*
Back: Standard Throw

Moves (Special)
B: Whistle
Pulls it out. When he has it, move the D-pad/Analog stick and he will blow it. The Pikmin charge in that direction.

Side B: Pikwhip
He pulls out a rope of Pikmin and uses them as a whip.

Up B: Dolphin Rocket
It flies in fast and picks up Olimar. Any enemies hit by it get hurt.

Down B: Pikmin Pull
Simply pulls out a Pikmin.

Final Smash: The Pikmin Suit
Olimar summons a truckload of Pikmin which surround him and basically form a giant Pikmin suit. You can only attack a certain amount of times, because Pikmin fall off every time you attack.

Summary:
Olimar is a tough character to use, but he is wildly powerful if used correctly.

Top Bottom