• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IC's, yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnk94

Smash Rookie
Hai there :>,

I have been playing without main for quite a while now, and I always liked the IC's.
But, the people who i play on a regular basis are pretty ehm well.. sucky :p.
And as CG'ing is a big part of the IC's, i think it's pretty lame to CG people who don't even have proper DI. What would you guys do?

Should i just pick them up and CG those guys anyway,
or should i pick someone else?

Thanks in advance :>.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
as an IC main who doesn't rely on cgs trust me, you don't have to cg to play ICs.

its a key part of their playstyle and you do NEED to know how to cg, but that doesn't mean that you need to only cg. they have plenty of grab/desync combos that you can use/abuse.

now, as far as the learning curve goes, ICs are pretty high on the list of hard characters to learn. you gotta WANT to learn ICs... or have some medium which makes you enter a state of concousness in which you aren't entirely aware of what's going on.... one or the other (see: lain).

so no, you don't only have to cg them, but keep this in mind: if you play better, they have to play better to match you.

mnk94

Smash Rookie
as an IC main who doesn't rely on cgs trust me, you don't have to cg to play ICs.

its a key part of their playstyle and you do NEED to know how to cg, but that doesn't mean that you need to only cg. they have plenty of grab/desync combos that you can use/abuse.

now, as far as the learning curve goes, ICs are pretty high on the list of hard characters to learn. you gotta WANT to learn ICs... or have some medium which makes you enter a state of concousness in which you aren't entirely aware of what's going on.... one or the other (see: lain).

so no, you don't only have to cg them, but keep this in mind: if you play better, they have to play better to match you.
What do you mean by that? (Sorry, i come from the netherlands :>)

And thanks for your reply, i'll defenitly give IC's a go.
So anyone who can give some tips/tricks or whatever to a beginning Ice Climber? :D

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
What do you mean by that? (Sorry, i come from the netherlands :>)

And thanks for your reply, i'll defenitly give IC's a go.
So anyone who can give some tips/tricks or whatever to a beginning Ice Climber? :D
i mean lain smokes weed which in turn makes him 'good'.... it was supposed to ba ajoke, but i guess it doesn't really translate well.

and for learnign ICs you should check out delphiki's intro to ICs. its stickied on this page.

Panix

Smash Ace
Chain grabb dude. if you want to become a competitive IC you will have to rely alot on your CG.

Ice Climbers with no CG = Low tier.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
If you want to be competetive with ICs, you should probably learn the chaingrabs. Otherwise, MKs are going to have their way with you.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
if you want to get good with the ice climbers you must learn the Chaingrabs and learning to time them its pretty hard to do especially with light characters cause the throw animation is faster with how lighter the character is maybe you should practice some in training on someone like bowser at first and then start moving down the weight list especially do that with the alternate grabs anyway thats how i did it i still dont fully conquer them but im on my way i hope this helped you a bit further

mnk94

Smash Rookie
Hmm so far you've all been a great help,
I need to learn the CG's defenitly, but i don't need to rely on them as they are quite situational.
Okok *enters training mode*
Anything more i might need to know?

$haDy

Smash Apprentice
LOL Ice Climbers would be one of the worst characters if not for the chaingrabs.If there was no chaingrabs people would **** and gimp nana whats there to be scared of otherwise.Even if you dont get much grabs in a match people have to play around the ice climbers and take unnecessary hits in fear of being grabbed.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Uhm... I'm pretty sure here people forgot the ICs' desynchs...? If they had no CGs and they STILL had desynchs, they're still low tier? o-o Doesn't their desynchs help too? O:

It's your choice whether to learn CGs or not. Read FP's post or Kawaii... either way.

lain

Smash Master
No. Desyncs do not help.

However, de-sync blizzarding everywhere and assuming your opponent is camping you, you can uair and bair the **** out of them.

But yeah that's really the extent.

p8nted

Smash Apprentice
No. Desyncs do not help.

However, de-sync blizzarding everywhere and assuming your opponent is camping you, you can uair and bair the **** out of them.

But yeah that's really the extent.
really? But... but... it looks so badass... O.o

Also, if you decide to learn CG's (which I say you should), the best chaingrab is the one Lain uses: bthrow to nana, dthrow to popo (for me at least).
Lain ftw. :joyful:

Kage Me

Smash Ace
Desynchs are best used for pressure and mindgames. After all, when they're synched, you're basically fighting one character. Desynched IC's give the impression of getting ganged up on.
And of course, they can lead into grabs, which is always nice.

Either way, I suggest you first learn how to play the Ice Climbers in general. Then you can start working on chaingrabs.

Also: WOO, another Dutchie =D

lain

Smash Master
It's not really the set in stone BEST cg, it's just the one I can do (among several) 95% of the time. Everyone has their own thing so w/e.

I need to starts doing bthrow->bthrow on platforms. I might even go IC on norfair.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Even without CGs the Ice Climbers are a force to be reckoned with. Desynchs are much better than people give them credit for, and if the learning curve is as bad as they say it is, then I can't imagine what kind of messed up combos the pro IC mains could pull off with desynchs.

CG don't make or break the character. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't learn the CGs. Its the same thing with Falco. He doesn't need the SHDL to be a good character, he's got a lot of true combos and other quirks that make him an awesome character, but that doesnt mean you shouldn't learn SHDL. They all increase the character's potential.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Q&A thread please..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom