• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ICs Freeze Glitch

Should freeze glitch remain banned? (This will obviously be biased but oh well)

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brooster77

Smash Rookie
So I have been looking and the last time this has been mentioned was 3 years ago. The last time its legality was talked about was 9 years ago. I can't seem to find a clear explanation elsewhere either. So...

Why is the freeze glitch banned? The 3 things I've seen mentioned are-

It's a full glitch rather then just an abuse of the game mechanics. It is banned because it is a glitch. If this is the case is every other glitch ussually banned as well?

It is OP. The big OP aspect is the possibility to win by stalling. However since all stalling is banned anyways, it has the same out come as wobbling and is objectively harder to pull off. It would give ICs another option which could make them OP as a character, but I don't see that being the issue.

It can break the game only fixable by restarting the gamecube. If this can happen randomly, it should be banned hands down no matter what. But I think they were referencing how you could freeze someone outside of grab range, removing your ability to break them out. This should be considered an auto loss for the ICs as stalling. Only making the move less useful then it already was.

I'm still fairly new to smash (only first ever learning what a game cube was 2 years ago), so maybe this is common knowledge. But I couldn't find a definate answer anywhere obvious so a reminder would be nice for all of us who are new to the scene.

Why is the freeze glitch banned?

LDSenpai

Self loathing ICs Player
Freeze Glitch can make a match unfinishable, until time of course, if you knock the frozen player to far off stage or to high up from the ground, you won't be able to grab them making it impossible to finish the game.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Freeze Glitch can make a match unfinishable, until time of course, if you knock the frozen player to far off stage or to high up from the ground, you won't be able to grab them making it impossible to finish the game.
You don't "knock" the frozen player anywhere, you either reposition them with another throw, or they SDI themselves to such an unreachable spot. If they do so when they're at a stock deficit, they deserve to lose and might has well have conceded the match. If they DI such that you can't unfreeze them without their cooperation and you're at a stock deficit, well you deserve to lose for allowing them to checkmate you that easily, you enabled their unbreakable lead.
Edit: I will say I consider freeze glitching them off an uthrow and rendering them ungrabbable is a different story. That's your fault for freezing off of that throw.

Last edited:
Top Bottom