• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ice climbers trouble

Jeremy Smith

Smash Apprentice
so i was playing against a friend today and after a series of matches he pulle dout ice climbers... and i proceded to lose every game there after. I looked on the ice climber page and this page for matchups and according to their page pika has an advantageous match against IC. this leads me to ask the question, what went wrong for me? Im very inexperienced against IC because the people i play with always use the same few characters but im wondering if anyone could give me some good tips/strategys/approaches for this matchup.

thanks and sorry for the wall of text.

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
well what did you do that DIDN'T work. People tell you some things you may have been doing wrong and tell you things you have done right. Also, it always helps to know and understand how you were beaten.

Jeremy Smith

Smash Apprentice
honestly i dont know ... my short hop and full hop'd thunderjolts werent doing anything and when i landed id eat an ice chard thing and whenever i connected with a move the other climber would knock me out of it ... i really cant give many specifics it was like i had just picked up the game and hed been playing for years(which isnt the case as we are both on the same skill level in brawl).

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Dsmash is could for splitting them up. basiclaly, just split them up, hound nana as much as you can, and kill her. htat leaves a slightly weaker popo left over. and dont get grabbed. ever. though it sounds like he doesnt know the cg.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
pika does have a good time against ice climbers...basically most ice climbers that can chain grab go for the popo throw to nana fair a couple times, depending on character size, and knowing stuff like this helps you DI...the squall(hammer) especially while desynched, is very annoying and stops tjolts and hard to get out of if you mess up DI...but yeah like stealth said, dsmash is very good, since you cant di both climbers at once, making one of them get most of the damage. also uair is good for alternative juggling, like you get one in the air, then keep it there, come to the ground, and thats when you can get the other etc. backthrow works since it moves away from the other climber, giving you a little bit of breathing room and stuff. just know what you do that doesnt work, and ff a fair to utilt to keep them in the air. also when around 100% dont get grabbed, cuz its basically an auto kill. good luck

Jeremy Smith

Smash Apprentice
luckily he doesnt know how to chain grab but he likes to grab and then do the thing that freezes you. Unfortunetly i sent him a link to the ice climbers page so he could learn the CG, oops. and thanks for the tips.

Rykard

Smash Ace
as an ice climber main i will help out. One thing i will do against a thunder jolt happy pika is decynch ice blocks because they cancel out the thundre jolt ruining that method of getting damage (im not saying not to use it im saying that it can be countered) You have to be able to space your Fairs or any appreach ing attack really well cause otherwise you will get shield grabbed and be killed. Back air and downsmash help to separate them. Also pikas fsmash has enough range to get through the blizzard i believe which can ruin one of our best appraoches.

probably the best thing pika can do is to tray and bait the ice climbers into grabbing you adn then punishing them for it. such as doing thunder on the stage then spot dodging right after casue a lot of icey players that dont know the matchup will try to grab you right after it even though there is pratically no lag. then you can do what you want. a good way to gimp their recovery is to run off the stage and do a falling Fair as soon as nana grabs the ledge if they do the tether up b recovery

thats all i got. im kinda not having much of a train of thought right now so sorry about taht

Top Bottom