• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Smash from Grab Combos

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
One problem which I hope can be fixed however is that some timings of the grab "combos" are overly specific. For example, to do the most damage with a grab at 0%, you have to forward throw into f smash for 25%, and the time window for that VERY tiny, not to mention it's different for every character. If you time it wrong, it only does a small fraction of the potential percent. With F throw, you deal 11% if you do the f smash too early, 7% if you do it too late, and 25% if you have perfect timing.

The same applies for down throw to fsmash/dsmash, you need to have a very specific timing for the f/d smash to get the full percent. If you do down throw to uncharged f smash it does 7%, unless you have perfect timing then it does 20%. It shouldn't be that difficult. This is caused by Nana's moves doing less damage while the opponent is being held in a grab. I think their grab game should be restored to Melee's so that these combos are more manageable. Also you can't charge an up smash from a grab, since you have to have Nana run forward to connect the up smash. I'm OK with no wobbling in PM, but handoffs and down throw dair is much worse now as well.

The best way to fix the grab smash combo percents would probably just to make it so the smashes did the same damage while the opponent is locked in a grab/being thrown as they do when the opponent is free from any grabs.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I could be wrong about this, but as far as I can tell this "damage reduced on grabbed opponents" is what is keeping the ICs from doing their Melee infinite, so I don't think full damage will ever be something reinstated. Their game has been buffed elsewhere to make them not so overly-centralized on grabs.

Also, the timing hardly has to be perfect, give it a rest. The ICs are pretty technical, requiring a lot of character specific knowledge, solid execution, and flexibility in the application of setups. It comes with the territory and really most characters in this game have to be precise if they want to maximize damage output.

Finally why did you put this in the bug forum? This is clearly something that is "working as intended".

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
You are wrong. Wobbling has to due with grab hitstun.

The reduced damage on attacks while opponents are in a grab is in Melee too. However, the window to do a throw and smash attack and get the full percent is multiple times larger. There's no reason why down throw to f smash should consistently doing 7%.

This is a bug, along with Nana killing herself when Popo is offstage.

Top Bottom