• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers - Lucario matchup

Kappie

Smash Apprentice
Since our matchup boards pretty much 'skipped' Ice Climbers (we went on with diff character way to soon), I come here asking for help. Myself I have 0 experience versus Ice Climbers, so what I need are 1 or 2 Ice Climber mains that play vs Lucario alot, and I'd like them to write 10 lines or so on air game, ground game, edguarding and who they think has the advantage.

Thanks alot in advance.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
luc's actually pretty good against ic's. high range and fast roll and his fair/dair make it hard for ic's to work in grabs

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i've never had a problem with him. i usually lose a stock though if he can separate me and nana/keep me off the edge. otherwise its pretty much straight ****.

Stray Element

Smash Cadet
The advantage in my opinion lies with Lucario if they use lots of aerial approaches. I play a friend on a daily basis who mains Lucario and try as I might I can't always avoid his down air, and this is almost a guaranteed separation for the IC.

Air Game: Lucario out ranges and out prioritizes the IC. Attacks like the IC Uair might have more priority, but Lucario can out range it with his Dair. I find it extremely difficult to counter Lucario when he is airborne, and his disjointed hit boxes can sometimes hit you when you are really not expecting it.

Ground Game: Lucario again out ranges IC on the ground, but I believe that the IC out prioritize most of his attacks (again I could be way off). I think that a Lucario with decent spacing can keep IC away from him with things like Fsmash (or side b?). Something I have noticed about Lucario (this might just be my friends play style) is he seems to have a difficult time getting past de-synced attacks. Things like short hopped de-synced blizzards are especially effective for keeping an approaching Lucario at bay. From what I can tell, it is extremely easy for Lucario to punish the IC because of the lag that most of their attacks have.

Edge Guarding: Here I think they are on fairly equal ground. Lucario has a number of attacks that either stay out for a while, or have weird hit boxes that can hit the IC when they try to recover or get up from the edge. On the other hand the IC have attacks like blizzard which (in my experience) is good for bothering someone trying to get up until they make a mistake. Also their belay can tether surprisingly fast, so if timed right you can ledge hog someone who isn't expecting it.

I hope this is the kind of thing you were looking for :)
(Again I want to reiterate that this is in my experience, a lot of the priority stuff might be incorrect, but I am fairly confident in the other things)

Kappie

Smash Apprentice
Something I might add, Lucario's Fthrow is really fast, and voices say it helps in seperating. Pivot Grab -> Fthrow can be done in 0.2 seconds I think (from start to when you release ICs), and the knockback is good.

Some other thing I heard is that Ice Climbers can't really chain throw Lucario. Anything on that specific?

Very good stuff Stray thanks.

smaci92

Smash Lord
chainthrowing lucario is np
chaingrabbing lucarios is actually harder then characters like marth IMO. He's heavier, so it's hard to bthrow consistently :urg:

I actually agree. Lucario does have Aura, good aerials, and tilts. But his recovery is lacking.
Lucario's recovery is actually pretty good. he can shoot aura's at you to avoid being edgeguarded, and on stages like FD, he can up b into the ledge and latch on to it and get back on to stage. if you play a good lucario like my bro, they barely ever get gimped.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
His brick walling can give ice climbers a problem, a lot of his attacks have insanely big hit boxes.

smaci92

Smash Lord
another thing that I hate when I play lucario is that you can't desync cause all he has to do is shoot an aura at you, and you either have to sheild it, or get hit...and then you become synced again. Also, most people forget about his down b...watch out when using common moves like ice block and blizzard.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Lucario's timing is like Peach and Diddy's when you're trying to chainthrow them.

Isn't Ice Block better than his Aura Sphere? >_>;; Or.. wait, well the problem is that he can release it from the air. o.o;

His smashes have a really good range, and one of his aerials and tilts also. It's just maybe, because Lucario's aerials reach more than the ICs... or I should say that Lucario's aerials can most likely hit the ICs since his b-air and f-air can hit the ICs most.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
fully charged aura sphere < ice blocks

no, thats not a miss-type. a single ice block will seriously cancel a fully charged aura sphere.

its really not as hard a matchup as you guys are making it out to be. maybe you guys are thinking too much about CGs than actually fighting....

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure an IB cancels out any size aura sphere (maybe not the REALLY big ones, but you shouldn't have a problem with those).
EDIT: I must have missed FrozenPopo's post right above mine.

His aura shouldn't be a problem, since you can kill him directly from one grab (don't let him reach high percents).

He has insane aerials with deceptive hitboxes, though, but desynced (or even synced) blizzards negate this.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
I always thought it was even. I haven't played this matchup in person yet though. I used to go Game and Watch on Lucario, and the Lucario main I faced recently went Luigi on me. Plus Lucario is my worst character. So I'm not too knowledgeable about this matchup. :ohwell:.

Top Bottom