• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch

Stafy Lover

Smash Rookie
Hey everybody! I've been looking around and I've seen a lot of people saying the the ICs and, to a greater degree, Mr. Game & Watch have little chance to be in Brawl. And this isn't just the people who believe that old rumor (I hope there aren't many here that do. But anyways why do you believe this. First of all they are VERY unique, especially the ICs. The main reason why they have a good chance though is Japan. They love the classic characters. This is even further proven by a poll taken by Sakurai. Guess who was the #1 character that was requested to return. That's right, the Ice Climbers. And guess who was in second. Yep, Mr. Game & Watch. So I just want to know why you think that they are leaving. (And don't say G&W is only a joke character. So what if he is, that shouldn't lessen his chances)

Until Next Time,
SL

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
G&W was a suprise character. A throwback to an old handheld system. While a great and funny character, he no longer has the same odd shock value. Plus it seems the new mascot of mini games is Wario from Warioware. This is just my take ont he scenario. I do not think he will return (escpecially with Sakurai announcing that some characters will be cut).

Keep in mind that Melee had 26 characters. I expect at least 5 to be cut to provide more time for fresh characters.

The Ice Climbers I can see being cut. But only if another character uses the duo fighting style such as Diddy/Dixie or Olimar and his Pikmin. Otherwise I can see them staying.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I'm sorry but I think the Icers shouldn't be in ssbb unless they seriously fix them because right now they are the most broken character in the game.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
El HP, you are entitled to your opinion. But the Ice Climber's rock. There is no doubting that.

Personally, I think for the unique style they should stay. And I want Diddy on his own, not teamed up with Dixie.

As for G&W, a cool rep for Nintendo's earlier work. Would be awesome if he stayed, but I'm not sure what will happen to him.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
the IC should most definitely stay! they are unique characters that offer a different way to play smash. you guys say they are broken and then you say they suck, make up your minds people. and i am tired of people saying diddy and dixie should be a team. diddy deserves to play as his own character, and so does dixie. they each have enough moves from their games to be unique, original characters. they wouldn't even make that good of a duo, diddy couldn't use his tail because dixie doesn't have one, and dixie couldn't use her ponytails because diddy doesn't have any.

Stafy Lover

Smash Rookie
The main reason I really don't want Diddy and Dixie, or any other characters for that matter, to team up is because it takes away from the ICs' uniqueness. Plus Diddy deserves his own spot. (Although I'd rather have King K. Rool Dixie would be another good rep) But enough about DK....I'm glad to be seeing seeing some love for these classic chars. And how can you resist the ICs' little noseless faces and their blue and pink parkas. And the MITTENS, the MITTENS! And the hammers to, they help....

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm sorry but I think the Icers shouldn't be in ssbb unless they seriously fix them because right now they are the most broken character in the game.
Not really. Fox, Falco, and Sheik heavily trump them with more than one unfair advantage. As like how a dual character would play, if one Ice Climber is defeated, the other one mostly crumbles. Popo alone isn't a very competitive character, which makes up for the somewhat awesomeness the team possesses.

Plus, Zelda/Sheik are much more broken as is.

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Probably out eating some dirt or something.
Well I highly doubt that the perhaps most uniques characters in the game get cut, it just doesn't seem right or likely to me.
If anyone does get cut then they will cut the clones of less meaning, Young Link, Pichu and Dr. Mario, you see these guys may be costumes or else they cut or have a new moveset. I see a bigger chance of Captain Falcon getting cut than Game and Watch or the ICs because well alot of people don'r care about F-Zero which doesn't have and historical value at all to Nintendo.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
Well I highly doubt that the perhaps most uniques characters in the game get cut, it just doesn't seem right or likely to me.
If anyone does get cut then they will cut the clones of less meaning, Young Link, Pichu and Dr. Mario, you see these guys may be costumes or else they cut or have a new moveset. I see a bigger chance of Captain Falcon getting cut than Game and Watch or the ICs because well alot of people don'r care about F-Zero which doesn't have and historical value at all to Nintendo.
although i agree with you that G&W and IC should stay, i feel that cutting C. falcon would be a big mistake. he is an original character, he has been in the game since the 64 days. also, people do care about f-zero, if they didn't, then they would stop making f-zero games. and f-zero has been around since the NES, so the series has tons of historical value.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm glad this isn't about that stupid rumour.

They should both stay for their sheer uniqueness.

2D power!

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Not really. Fox, Falco, and Sheik heavily trump them with more than one unfair advantage. As like how a dual character would play, if one Ice Climber is defeated, the other one mostly crumbles. Popo alone isn't a very competitive character, which makes up for the somewhat awesomeness the team possesses.

Plus, Zelda/Sheik are much more broken as is.
Fox and Falco have extreme offensive power but are very easily killed and comboed and above all they are some of the hardest character to use
Sheik has very good offensive and defense play style while being very easy to use but what makes her not broken is the fact how limited she is and for the most part very predicable.
Zelda...Come on it's Zelda -.-

Now what makes Ice climbers broken is that not only do they have one but two moves that are inescapable one of which is so simple that someone who has never played the game before can use and kill.

Kirye

Smash Ace
Fox and Falco have extreme offensive power but are very easily killed and comboed and above all they are some of the hardest character to use
Sheik has very good offensive and defense play style while being very easy to use but what makes her not broken is the fact how limited she is and for the most part very predicable.
Zelda...Come on it's Zelda -.-

Now what makes Ice climbers broken is that not only do they have one but two moves that are inescapable one of which is so simple that someone who has never played the game before can use and kill.
And IC can't be fixed, why?

First of all, as someone else stated, Fox, Marth, Sheik and Falco, and some others surpass IC. I do admit it's a strong character, but whoop de do. Ice Climbers flaw lies in that if you kill Nana, Popo's effed. Otherwise, they're a strong force. Besides that, Ice Climbers are original characters, and very unique.

As for Game and Watch, i'd prefer to see him back. He wasn't very good, but what he had going for him was originality, as well as IC.

The only ones I probably see going are Pichu, Young Link and Doc. Roy either edited, or removed, as he's no longer a Fire Emblem big lord guy, Ike and Sothe are the new ones. x.x

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
The main reason I really don't want Diddy and Dixie, or any other characters for that matter, to team up is because it takes away from the ICs' uniqueness. Plus Diddy deserves his own spot. (Although I'd rather have King K. Rool Dixie would be another good rep) But enough about DK....I'm glad to be seeing seeing some love for these classic chars. And how can you resist the ICs' little noseless faces and their blue and pink parkas. And the MITTENS, the MITTENS! And the hammers to, they help....
The only characters I can even honestly think of, that would make a good dou would be diddy/dixie & bubblun/bobblun. O and the plusle/Minun (Sp?)

Diddy will become his own character. imo
and bubblun/bobblun are 3rd party so its not going to happen.
Plusle/minun probaly not happening due to they are so similar to pikachu.

So I really don't think you should worry about characters taking away from their orginality.

ICs & G &W should stay no dobt.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers and G&W will stay, they're too different not to. And yes, Bowserlick, G&W no longer has shock value, but I'd say he lost that after the first few weeks, nevermind the years that Melee has been out. G&W has long ago stopped being a surprise, now he's just another great and beloved character.

Off topic: I never got the "no Diddy team because it makes the IC less unique" argument. In my mind, appreciation of a novel idea ALWAYS comes second to adding a cool character.

Besides, It would be a crime to pass up the chance for a fighting monkey team in Brawl. Seriously, think about it: Fighting Monkey Team! As in the awesomness of a fighting monkey, only twice!

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Can I just say something?

I'm just really tired of people wrting off Mr. Game & Watch as a "joke character" who was "only used for the shock value." Exactly how do any of you know that? Is there an interview I missed somewhere where Sakurai stated that he only put in Mr. Game & Watch to suprise everyone? Because I doubt it. The fact is that we don't know the reason Sakurai decided to put him in Melee, so we can't say that reason is gone now.

That's all I wanted to say.

Tera253

Smash Ace
they should stay. as for Young Link, since he was suc a crappy KOer, who cares? just don't--DO NOT replace him with that gay link from WW.

~Tera253~

Veo

Smash Rookie
Ice Climbers and G&W will stay, they're too different not to. And yes, Bowserlick, G&W no longer has shock value, but I'd say he lost that after the first few weeks, nevermind the years that Melee has been out. G&W has long ago stopped being a surprise, now he's just another great and beloved character.

Off topic: I never got the "no Diddy team because it makes the IC less unique" argument. In my mind, appreciation of a novel idea ALWAYS comes second to adding a cool character.

Besides, It would be a crime to pass up the chance for a fighting monkey team in Brawl. Seriously, think about it: Fighting Monkey Team! As in the awesomness of a fighting monkey, only twice!
Well It's different with Popo and Nana Because they are practically the same person but diddy and dixie cong Are totally different. Dixie in her games had lot of hair based moves and on the other hand Diddy had alot of cartwheels and such. It just wouldent work very well if they were made into a single character ^^

Promethus

Smash Apprentice
The only thing I picture why the IC would be out is because of King Dedede.
Both characters have Hammers and both are ice based.
(Dedede is a Penguin)
Even if IC were replaced with Dedede, Dedede would probaly still hold on with the A attacks that the IC had.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Well It's different with Popo and Nana Because they are practically the same person but diddy and dixie cong Are totally different. Dixie in her games had lot of hair based moves and on the other hand Diddy had alot of cartwheels and such. It just wouldent work very well if they were made into a single character ^^
Well, only if you hold onto the notion that a team character must consist of two identical guys fighting in unison. I see it as more of a DKC2 thing. Diddy used a cartwheel, Dixie used her hair, but both moves had the same effect. In Brawl, I can picture a similar thing, with each monkey having different moves that function basicaly the same. Or maybe you're always Diddy and Dixie acts soley as backup? Either way, there're plenty of ways around that little snag.

The only thing I picture why the IC would be out is because of King Dedede.
Both characters have Hammers and both are ice based.
(Dedede is a Penguin)
Even if IC were replaced with Dedede, Dedede would probaly still hold on with the A attacks that the IC had.
No, no, and no. Dedede doesn't have ice powers. He's a penguin, yes, but I've played the Kirby games and you never even fight him in an icey place, much less see him use ice powers.
Besides, it takes more than hammers to make characters identical (Link and Marth both have swords, right?) Penguin does not equal Inuit couple just because they both have hammers. That's just science.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I really, really, REALLY don't want to lose the Ice Climbers and Game and Watch, to be perfectly honest, the most fun I have with melee recently, is annoying my two roommates (who only use regular captain falcon and pink captain falcon respectively) with those two character sets.

Besides... BACON!

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I main Game and Watch! They can't get rid of him, I need to **** people with him in Brawl. I hope they don't nerf G&W's moves, his moveset is amazing. Completely disjointed, high priority, powerful attacks. I don't know why two of the most unique characters in Melee would be removed.

Top Bottom