• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Block Spam > Falco's Laser Game?

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
It saddens me to write that title, really.

We at the Falco boards are currently re-visiting the IC match-up, since we consider it to be one of our worst and we think it may be even worse than we originally thought.

Discussion can be found here. Any input you guys can give (again) would be greatly appreciated.

One thing in specific that I would like some of the IC mains to give their opinions on is the long range game in this match-up. We thought for a while that Falco could play his normal game of keeping his distance and peppering Lasers and Immediate Aerial Phantasm into his opponent. This was before we found that if the Ice Climbers just sit there and spam Ice Blocks, it seems to become a reliable way to shut down Falco's Lasers. I don't know much about the ICs outside of how to avoid their grab setups, so I figured I would ask the experts. Essentially it goes something like this:

Falco fires a Laser (grounded) and ICs fire their two Ice Blocks. Falco's Laser hits the first IB and it bounces back. The second laser fires and hits the very top of the second Ice Block, which has melted to a smaller size, so the Laser disappears but the IB keeps moving towards Falco. The third Laser goes over the now-small IB, only to have to contend with a fresh set of blocks from the ICs.

It seems that more often than not, the Ice Blocks become the perfect anti-laser weapon. Just high enough at the start to block Lasers, and small enough at a distance to go under them and hit Falco. Getting hit with an Ice Block will slow down Falco's rate of fire even more. Falco's traditional SHDL and SHL are also not options, since they slow his rate of fire down too much as well.

Now, Falco can SHL or SHDL slightly earlier than normal, in order to make his Laser go just over the Ice Blocks and hit the ICs at the top of their normal hurtbox. However, since I'm yet to see any of this scenario play out in a real match, I can't say whether this is enough to allow a smart Falco to win the distance game, or if the ICs can simply use their mobility to keep safe, all the while keeping their Ice Block wall up.

So what do you guys think? Are the ICs the only character in the game that can force Falco to approach? Or is Falco's camp game just going to have to undergo a few minor changes?

I should point out that yes, Falco can just sit there and shine all the Ice Blocks. Falco's reflector is (I think) the only reflector that is capable of actually reflecting both Ice Blocks and not simply make the two cancel each other out. But a stalemate isn't exactly what we're going for, here.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
I messed around with desynching, actually. It seems to be less effective at dealing with Lasers than just straight spamming, due to, l!ink says, how much longer it takes for the second Block to come out.

Probably should have put that in the OP. My bad.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
Almost every good Falco I've played has tried to camp me, but lasers only do so much damage before you make a mistake. ICs can just full jump and shoot IBs over SHDLs, hitting Falco while avoiding lasers. The common strategy I've seen is to camp with lasers, then phantasm away at the last second. This may seem effective, but again, it doesn't do much damage. The only Falco to beat me never even tried camping, and I got *****. He was also the smartest player I've ever played, and he was nowhere near predictable. Falco is also at a huge loss due to his fast-falling: even if you hit Nana away, if Popo gets a grab, Falco will be CGed with a dthrow until Nana returns to finish the stock. On the other hand, I've actually had a Falco CG me to a spike. If you grab Popo, just time your dthrow to hit Nana because she'll just mindlessly run into you.

If it makes you feel any better, I have the most trouble as ICs with characters that can outcamp me (Link, TL, ROB, etc...). Fortunately for me, Falco can't really camp the ICs.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
All we need to do to beat falco is basically QD ice blocks and desynch a block/blizzard to stop his phantasm, which basically sets us up for a grab, which is a stock. This matchup is almost mindless.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
All we need to do to beat falco is basically QD ice blocks and desynch a block/blizzard to stop his phantasm, which basically sets us up for a grab, which is a stock. This matchup is almost mindless.
lolwut ?

ch33s3

Smash Lord
4 Ice Blocks beats even SHTLs. Why is this even being discussed? I thought everyone knew this forever.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I should point out that yes, Falco can just sit there and shine all the Ice Blocks. Falco's reflector is (I think) the only reflector that is capable of actually reflecting both Ice Blocks and not simply make the two cancel each other out. But a stalemate isn't exactly what we're going for, here.
Mario's cape works too, kind of off-topic though.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Never seen a falco silent laser after a SHDL? it's annoying and they can generally only do it when ledge camping, but meh, it's worth noting.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Okay to be technically correct, it's either an FHTL, with the last being silent, or a ledge cancelled "SHTL". Either way, ice blocks still win.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
No Falco worth his bread salt would ever camp with FHTL. It's rate of fire at the proper level is probably something like twice as slow as SHL or SHDL.

So Ice Blocks beating it is completely useless and irrelevant (and obvious) information.

Top Bottom