• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IC matchups=#1 DDD/UPDATED SKYPE DAY

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332

DDD is a duck, penguin thing with a hammer. He's very dangerous. Watch out.
D3 is a very heavy character with massive range. He has a very good air game and one of the best chaingrabs in the game. How do we deal with this massive fat mother beast?
Discuss it here!
Our Skype day shall be Tuesday, April 20th at 9PM EST. Please tell me in a post or PM if this is a bad time for you!

VIDEOS:
:popo: vs :dedede: 00-Zero vs. Mr. Sparkle

FroznHobo v 4God 1
FroznHobo v 4God 2
FroznHobo v 4God 3

EA :popo: vs Fakeman :dedede:
Melee1 :popo: vs. CO18 :dedede: 1 (older)
Melee1 :popo: vs. CO18 :dedede: 2 (older)

Smoom77

Smash Master
I see the match basically like this.

-Blizzard
-Avoid spiky projectile (forgot the name)
-Be careful of ftilt (it goes through blizzard)
-Dont get hit by his dair air camping.

Dair air camping is the only thing he can do really.

Any advice? Lol.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332

-Blizzard
-Dont get hit by his dair air camping.

Dair air camping is the only thing he can do really.

Any advice? Lol.
Well I guess this thread is done now, isn't it? Lol.

I will give a little writeup later tonight/tommorow.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Lolno. I don't play ANY D3s. Ive just hear this from other places. No experience at all.

Prawn

Smash Master
pivot grab bairs,

edge guard

our uairs should go through his dairs if spaced right.

watch out for the grab + bthrow cause he'll do WoP on nana

just jab everytime hes gonna grab

watch for suction, jabbing works well here to

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion

-Blizzard

Any advice? Lol.
Gordo is the spikey one.

If it wasn't for D3's ******** priority on swallow and Bair's stupid stupidness, we would totally **** the match-up with Squall +Blizzard.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
What we do:

Inhale
Dair
Retreating Bair
Fthrow (since it hits popo as well)
Bthrow (for separation)

Prawn

Smash Master
Everyone agree to hobble D3? or do some other players CG him?
i do both depending

fthrow->fthrow is really REALLY easy on d3, and the bthrow timing is very forgiving, so on stages like fd bf and sv you can just fthrow across the stage, bthrow, then do it again.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Hobbling doesn't work at low %, people. CG with fthrow, please. D3 is really vulnerable from below, uair ***** him harder than most. He's fat so you can string uairs and nairs. Blizzard to footstool to ice block works really well because he's so fat and easy to footstool. Squall ***** him hard if you use it as he lands, his recovery is really gimpable, don't be afraid to go offstage after him if he's facing towards the stage so he can't bair you. His bair is his best move in the matchup. His utilt beats most of our aerial approaches. He can edgeguard us easily.

Just some stuff, I'll edit with more if I think of it.

B0NK

Smash Lord
I'm just gonna copy and paste what I had written before.

You clearly haven't played a D3 that knows the match-up.

D3 shouldn't be using his f-tilt if you already started your dash animation, it's supposed to be spaced so that it catches you at the start-up of your dash so you can't shield...and if your not running a perfect shield doesn't get you a grab on off of his f-tilt.

Inhale is also a factor on stage, just not so much but be aware that if you do get inhaled in he has invincible frames he can abuse to separate the IC's (just like any grab)

"Anything in the air" is dumb and will just lead to free hits for D3. D3's dair out spaces your uair so if he see's you going for it a D3 can just used those five jumps to out space you in the air. And if the final hit of the dair hits you or nana, your separated again. It's more of a bait and punish game when the D3 is in the air, bait the dair then punish with an aerial.

I'm not saying that it's D3 advantage (that would be dumb), but just know there is a lot more to the match-up then you stated.
So that was a response to another player in regards to the match-up. Match-up is not easy for D3 but he has the tools to play it. ICs need to bait and punish since playing aggressive on D3 even though it's an advantage match-up is a bad idea on experienced D3 players. If we look at serin's list

What we do:

Inhale
Dair
Retreating Bair
Fthrow (since it hits popo as well)
Bthrow (for separation)
All these tools D3 has have to be used defensively since all are punishable in some way. Baiting any of these options can lead to a grab and a stock. The retreating bair's are probably his safest option from this list (Approaching ones can be grabbed easily). The others, inhale can be punished if not landed, dair the climber player can wait for then u-air. His grabs are amazing tools when landed but when missed can equal a stock for D3. Jabbing out of grabs and inhale can lead to a grab for us.

To add to serin's list, D3 can also us waddle's to disrupt our ability to camp D3 with projectiles and D3's F-tilt is still a great spacing move when used correctly, goes through blizzard.

It's a bait and punish match-up for both sides, since if D3 lands the right move we are separated and punished. Vice-versa if D3 is baited into a certain move we can grab the lag of it or use up-air and our othe aerials to do some nice damage.

I personally use Fthrow>Fthrow and turn around w/ bthrow hobble for D3.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
What should our skype day be?? Wednesday April 14th at 8PM EST? I'm just throwing that out there to play around with.

And thanks a bunch Serin for helping.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Wednesday is probably good, this week is MLG so I don't know if I'll have time, but generally Wednesdays sound good.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Updating the OP with videos of IC's vs. DDD. Give me more if you know of some please <3

B0NK

Smash Lord
I don't care about the time for the chat just be sure to post it in the OP/Thread Title so I know (and of course everyone else) when it is. Whether or not I will join in has a lot of factors (school, friends, favorite tv shows >.>) but if it's easy to find then at least people can't say you didn't inform them.

As for my input for the time just so you can get a good idea of what may be a good time, night is preferable and keep in mind everyone's time zones. (So make sure you post that it's eastern time, which you have already once).

Prawn

Smash Master
ill record videos of me vs ling ling tomorrow if he goes/i go

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I don't care about the time for the chat just be sure to post it in the OP/Thread Title so I know (and of course everyone else) when it is. Whether or not I will join in has a lot of factors (school, friends, favorite tv shows >.>) but if it's easy to find then at least people can't say you didn't inform them.

As for my input for the time just so you can get a good idea of what may be a good time, night is preferable and keep in mind everyone's time zones. (So make sure you post that it's eastern time, which you have already once).
Yeuh, I'm trying to keep it at night in EC time because EC is the lastest time in America. I just need to know when a couple more people are available to get a more set in stone date.

Sieguest

Smash Master
I've missed so much being gone.... (teachers are relentless) good stuffs.
As long as it's not Tuesday or Thursday night, I can be there. :p

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
these vids are friendlies from a smashfest we had a while ago:
FroznHobo v 4God 1
FroznHobo v 4God 2
FroznHobo v 4God 3

now, i know i spammed the **** out of blizzard in these matches, but its the only sure fire attack i've found to deal with his neutral b. i really don't use it as much in other matches, but that attack is his best tool at splitting them up aside from bair (you'll see why his neutral b is so annoying in the vids).

edit: yes, the quality is complete ****. i'll try to get better quality vids up soon.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Very simplified version of the matchup:

Condition them to ftilt by blizzarding some.

Shield Ftilt gives you a free squall.

Rise squall so they can't SDI out.

That combos into uair or frame traps if they are able to airdodge at mid %'s.

Keeping them in the air is easy but DDD's dair is annoying and beats our uair so watch out for it.

Inhale is easy to stop just mash A on reaction to it and nana will jab DDD and usually you get a free grab.

You can get a ton of damage from edgeguarding DDD. Dtilts force upb which you can just uair until he's at around 120% then kill with belay.

If you make them waste their jumps it's usually a free grab or edgeguard.

Blizzard is useful to an extent but you have to know when otherwise they will just ftilt you out of it all day.

DDD's fthrow is annoying and stops your nana jabs half the time but if you blizzard instead when you think he'll grab you then you will be fine.

PS ftilt = grab.

DDD trying to footstool to dair you = grab since you can grab characters when they are footstooling you.

You can camp the **** out of DDD.

Fairly easy straightforward match-up.

r3d d09

Smash Master
I think hylian got this matchup discussion very well. Do a write up of it then do a write up in the format that's on the wiki.

Thanks. Should we go to next matchup?

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I'm just getting back from GA and I'm kinda tired, but I have stuff to say :3. I'll say it tommorow before/after school.

Teh Future

Smash Master
I can do kackamees wirteup for him because hes so ******** and predictable:

DDD

so we can juggle this cat really well (not like mk where we are lucky to get one upair off). D3s dair goes through our upair but its quite easy to bait and then punish afterwards (not like mks dair which is unpunishable since he can jump at the same time as dairing)

He can use inhale and grabs to seperate us (not like mk where every one of his moves seperates us ebcause he shoukld be banned) and then he will bair wop nana to death so watch out for that i guess.

use desynced blizzard because it stopped D3s pojectiles and he can't get past it (unlike mk who can just use any one of his 0 fram start-up moves to go right throughout it)

overall a pretty good mu for us, 65-35 id say.

I think we should discuss mk next because people are so stupid that hes not banned yet and even though hes compeltely unbeatable and broken we should learn how to fight hi better evenb though its impossible to win against

</kackacat>

wow I have to say I did a better job then I originally thought I was going to xD

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Okay well since we have pretty much done DDD in a couple of days, I think we should consider doing 2-3 Characters a week. What do you guys think? And during our Skype conversation we can disscuss all of the characters at one time to speed up the proccess <3.

Is that cool with you "cats?"

Top Bottom