• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I wonder if some doc knows this!!

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
everybody knows the sound doc makes when he dash attacks,

but do you all know or know how its called when the doc grabs and it makes the sound of the dash attack.

cause i was in a tournament in mexico, and TUGA the best smasher of mexico was using doc and when he grabbed with doc he made it look like he was going for the dash attack and it sounded like he did the dash attack but instead he grabbed

how is this called?

Gea

Smash Master
everybody knows the sound doc makes when he dash attacks,

but do you all know or know how its called when the doc grabs and it makes the sound of the dash attack.

cause i was in a tournament in mexico, and TUGA the best smasher of mexico was using doc and when he grabbed with doc he made it look like he was going for the dash attack and it sounded like he did the dash attack but instead he grabbed

how is this called?
He dash cancelled the grab. Basically you run and hit A but before the attack comes out you hit Z or R, I believe. It is a mindgame if someone is listening for it, but since most tournies are noisy and it happens very quickly, jump cancelled grabs are better because they have less lag.

Nice to see someone finding use for it, though. Love that Samus, Majoras. ;o

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Last i checked, and last i read in any "know it all" topic, it was called grunt grabbing.

I personally call it grunt grabbing/lunge grabbing, depending on what character you're using and what you're trying to accomplish.

Gea's right, all you do is do a dash attack and hit r l or z a split second afterwards (same timing as wavedashing/ JC stuff).

Grunt grabbing is really only useful against people who react ridiculously fast and normally react by blocking. Meaning it's really NOT useless, but the odds of you coming across a person that it'll be useful against is slim to none.

___

Lunge grabbing, on the other hand, is something Doc cant do. I heard about this varient from sheik players. It's the exact same thing, but it extends the range of sheik's grab because (s)he lunges for the dash attack, and you STILL get the lunge for the lunge grab.

Reason why sheik players dont use it is well; JC grabs are better, regardless. D:

jmic

Smash Ace
I've got a friend who mains Doc and does this all the time... on accident. We called it the "John-Cancelled Grab." You can deduce what his name is. He gets kinda mad when we tell him to do it, lol. I just think it looks hilarious.

illadvised

Smash Rookie
Its called an Attack canceled grab pressing A and Z at the same time all it really does is expands your grab range.

jamminjohn

Smash Ace
hahaha I don't do it all the time you jerk. Max Power does it more often with more grabbing success anyway. I just showed it to you guys.

I do dash attack then press R. It's kind of a funny mind game because if you dash attacked maybe once or 2 times immediately beforehand and it's obvious that you'll get shield grabbed the next time so while it still makes the dash attack sound, they'll get grabbed out of their shield instead.

Keep in mind this only works for someone that pays a lot of attention to the sounds in the game *cough jmic* the best part is when they go "oh crap" when they get grabbed instead of dash attacked. and they start getting chain thrown or set up for a fair.

And yes, it's possible to chain throw a falcon with doc.

The extent of which the grab's range increases is relatively small and since Doc has short arms anyway, the increased range is not worth it. The dash grab's actual grab frames come out 4 frames later than the regular grab's or JC grab's grab frames. There are also an extra 6 frames after the grab frames if you miss the dash grab. That's a total of 10 extra frames total. Math:

Missed Grab: 30 frames
Missed Dash Grab: 40 frames
That's a 33% increase Those ten frames are enough for a punishment while keeping those frames using JC grab allows you to dash, jump, wd, jab, whatever.

The dash attack's range extension is about double/triple the length. This sounds good, but is only good if you have good timing and never miss. In fact, the 3rd grab box shows up behind doc so it's realistically only about the same size as the regular grab with grab boxes in front of and inside doc's body.

Conclusion: Don't forget to JC grab. If you do, start DIing or start dying.

Top Bottom