• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I won my local Gamestop tournament and all I got was this weird trophy

Coselm

Smash Ace
The title pretty much sums it up.

And if you can't read that, it says "Smash Bros. - Local Legend of Wreckage"

My Gamestop had Melee, 2 minute matches, items on medium. Halfway through the tournament he switched to 1 minute matches, and the final match between me and this peach player was a 5 minute match.

So I think the rest of the tournaments are Brawl tournaments? They said they would call me with info.

What did everybody else think of the Gamestop tournaments?

Thrull

Smash Cadet
I called at 1pm on Saturday and got told that people who didn't preorder with Gamestop could still participate, then got told that they couldn't at 9:45pm when I called looking for the store. These one time events are never very smooth. Every store person I got on the phone told me something completely different.

I guess that sort of counts as a tournament experience, right?

Also, "HELLOUNINTELLIGIBLESLOGANWHATCANIDOFORYOU?"

nytejade

Smash Cadet
I had the same experience. Every store in the area was running it differently, even though there were CLEAR rules on the GameStop website.

Luckily I found a store that was actually following the rules, right down the road from me. I won the tournament, but I don't expect to get very far usin WiiMote+Nunchuck, unless I spend some good time practicing with it this week. sigh again

Slaysya

Smash Cadet
My cousin came in 2nd at his Gamestop. He got some Luigi toy or something, only bad thing is he said they could not read the handwriting and gave him a random character.

knightofsouls

Smash Cadet
My tourny did not follow the rules either, it was 1 min matches, No items, Random stages and the dreaded Wii mote controls.

I lost...I was playing as ike and on my second round, got that evil pikmin stage, I was simply rain locked fell 2 times just because of the rain :(....the ******* played as shiek....Shiek can easily out run ike...not to mention it was my first time playing brawl ever...

I hate that pikmin stage.

Phat Yoshi

Smash Cadet
My Gamestop didn't follow the rules at all... It was a Melee tourney! :laugh:

I'm not complaining however, I had a good time.

After I won the trophy one of the clerks challenged me to a all or nothing side match. he said,

" I can't legitimately enter the tournament, so this is just between you and me. If you win you get 20 bucks, if I win I get your trophy. Sound like a deal?"

I thought about it for a minute and figured what the heck, you only live once. He choose Captain Falcon and I decided to try my Jiggs on him. (This was Melee, mind you.)

Man he was good! He knew just how to use Falcon's dair at the right time! It was a good match but in the end I managed to beat him.

Looking back I realize just how far from the rules the tourney really went... oh well.

Zyphent

Smash Apprentice
My friend got the same exact trophy, he won too.

I wonder....

Nah.

Anyway ours was a Brawl one, not Melee. Had to use Wiimote though, so it was rather annoying.

Umandsf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Umandsf
3DS FC
3927-0812-7458
Switch FC
SW-0595-8375-5017
Even though I was too late to sign up, I was appreciative that the store here followed all the rules: 1minute, tournament mode, Battlefield stage, items, Wii Remote + Nunchuk. It was a blast to watch, even though the predictable Ike won.

Coselm

Smash Ace
Yeah, I guess I gotta get some practice with the wiimote+nunchuck for the next tourney....

I wish they would jsut let me use a gamecube controller...

And yeah, that is a pretty gimp trophy.

S7ubs

Smash Rookie
Thats funny. I got some wrestling plaque at mine. It was a joke. Round 2 better be alot better!

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
Gay Wii remote + the new Metroid Lava stage killed me in the first round.

I couldn't friggin control my character, and I was up against the powerhouse Dedede for the Sudden Death, and just happened to get killed first.

I was probably better prepared than anyone for this tournament, yet I lost in the first round to someone who looked like he didn't really know how to play (though it was hard to tell, everyone played like noobs because of the freakin Wiimotes). This really was nothing more than a glorified lottery.

The next rounds will probably be better, but have fun all you guys that won now that you have to use the Wii controllers for the next week to practice. :p

I freaking hate Nintendo these days. Used to put out so many great games, but now the only people they care about are the CASUAL gamers. Makes me sick.

EDIT: happy now...? :rolleyes:

Gindler

Smash Champion
My tournament sucked, 1 minute brawl matches with wiimote and nunchuck. First round i had no idea what i was doing for 50 of the seconds but luckily won, then I went to the semi-finals but lost to some kid (the tourney winner) that already had the japanese version and everyone knew it, why did they make it so whoever got the first kill wins? Oh how i wish it was stock, oh well going to a stock tournament next weekend anyway so that should go better. Overall I was disappointed with the results but I'll live.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
My friends and I had a blast at the tourney.

One of my friends (Link user) came in 2nd to an Ice Climbers user. He probably would have won, but when Ice Climbers got a Final Smash, sealed the deal.

We played Brawl, wii remote and nunchuck, 2 minute matches, and the last match was 5 minutes. Same trophy was the prize.

bugmenot

Smash Cadet
I freaking hate Nintendo these days. Used to put out so many great games, but now the only people they care about are the non-gamers. Makes me sick.
Yeah, because it's smart for a VIDEO GAME COMPANY that makes VIDEO GAMES to cater to NON-gamers.
Wait, no it's not. What the hell are you talking about?
NON-gamers are NOT the same thing as CASUAL gamers.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, because it's smart for a VIDEO GAME COMPANY that makes VIDEO GAMES to cater to NON-gamers.
Wait, no it's not. What the hell are you talking about?
NON-gamers are NOT the same thing as CASUAL gamers.
Thats what I meant of course. :p

I forget how many "gamers" these days are 10-year olds that enjoy playing Shadow the Hedgehog.

Top Bottom