• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I will protect you! Asbel Lhant makes a pact!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856

Asbel Lhant made an appearance on the Wii(Japan) and PS3(US) in the Namco Bandai game Tales of Graces (F). Personally I would choose Lloyd Irving over him, but Asbel Lhant would also be a cool addition, though his chances of getting in are almost impossible.

He is a swordsman, as of every main Tales protagonist and has an obsession of using the word protect and an obsession with protecting(A running joke in the Tales of series towards Asbel).

As a character he would display graceful beauty in his attacks which would be fast, combo friendly, and strong combo finishers.

As a reference to his moves I will post a video showing exactly every move he performs in his games.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
... Dangit, now I want this game.

I don't know much about ToG, but I have to admit, his artes are really awesome looking.

Does he have two different stances or something? Sometimes he seems to idle with his sword unsheathed but it seems he's concentrating with it in the sheathe sometimes?

I would love to have an iajutsu (striking from the sheathe) character.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
... Dangit, now I want this game.

I don't know much about ToG, but I have to admit, his artes are really awesome looking.

Does he have two different stances or something? Sometimes he seems to idle with his sword unsheathed but it seems he's concentrating with it in the sheathe sometimes?

I would love to have an iajutsu (striking from the sheathe) character.
Yeah. Some of his attacks cause him to sheathe his blade. It's also sheathed when the battle starts.

EDIT: This specific Tales game is highly regarded for having the best combat system of its franchise as well.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
There is no TP in graces, only CC, a counter for the maximum cost of moves you can use in any one combo before you have to wait for it to restore. While both normal attacks and traditional artes drain this meter (as does free run, backstep, sidestep, forwardstep and just about every other action besides blocking), the two are very different. For most characters, this is a split between weapons and spells or, for Hubert, swords and guns. For Asbel, however, this is switch between two sword styles based on traditional japanese techniques. One focuses on slashing with the sword while the other focuses on draw based moves and kicks and such. As such, he will draw and sheath as he switches between them, doing damage on the draw and healing on the sheath.

Also, please not Asbel. Pascal was the only worthwhile character in Graces and her position based magic would transition to smash very nicely, though I'd still pick Lloyd, Cless, Luke, Mieu and Sheena (in that order) before her. More if we allow non-Nintendo releases.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
There is no TP in graces, only CC, a counter for the maximum cost of moves you can use in any one combo before you have to wait for it to restore. While both normal attacks and traditional artes drain this meter (as does free run, backstep, sidestep, forwardstep and just about every other action besides blocking), the two are very different. For most characters, this is a split between weapons and spells or, for Hubert, swords and guns. For Asbel, however, this is switch between two sword styles based on traditional japanese techniques. One focuses on slashing with the sword while the other focuses on draw based moves and kicks and such. As such, he will draw and sheath as he switches between them, doing damage on the draw and healing on the sheath.

Also, please not Asbel. Pascal was the only worthwhile character in Graces and her position based magic would transition to smash very nicely, though I'd still pick Lloyd, Cless, Luke, Mieu and Sheena (in that order) before her. More if we allow non-Nintendo releases.
It's just one of those impossible threads, nawm sayin?

I definitely choose much more over Asbel like Lloyd, Luke, and even Cless(I want Arche more but whatever).

However, I agree with Mb for the sheathe style fighting character.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Thanks for the information, guys!

Tales of Graces sounds like it has a really interesting combat system... and I do appreciate games that do away with MP management since I always feel like a dope for wasting money on MP recovery items. Dumber yet if those items are absurdly expensive fruit jelly snacks. :p

I think we can all agree that Lloyd is a more likely choice, but... well. I don't actually like Lloyd so much as I support the Tales series. I'd take Yuri over Lloyd any day.

Asbel's personality at first glance seems a bit tedious too, though.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I want Arche more but whatever.
I'd take Arche if they could make her work but do you really see a flying broomstick fitting in with the smash combat system?

Personally, I rather like Lloyd and wouldn't want Yuri over him, even though Vesperia was a particularly good series entry. I would, however, have Chloe as my top pick if we were going to go for impossible stuff that's never featured on a Nintendo console (I guess Yuri got a cameo costume...). Imagine the mindgames edgegaurding that counter ability.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
The broomstick could work I think. It could act like how Mewtwo held items in Melee and flying with it would be limited like how MK and Pit can't fly forever.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
It is a shame the Wii version of this game did not make it outside of Japan. I must say, the battle concept in Tales of Graces is rather interesting. I really wish Namco Bandai would release more Tales games on Nintendo platforms...

Anyhow, though he would not be mine first choice as a Tales character in Smash 4 (mine preferred Tales character is Cless), Asbel would certainly make an interesting fighter in Smash 4. I also like his design, though I cannot say he is mine favourite character, personality-wise.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The broomstick could work I think. It could act like how Mewtwo held items in Melee and flying with it would be limited like how MK and Pit can't fly forever.
So Arche would be restricted to walking? She'd hate that!
Arche is supposed to be a free spirit, gone wherever the wind takes her. I still find it weird that her broomstick is electric though. And that Leon is the only Tales character to dye their hair, though that's totally off topic.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
So Arche would be restricted to walking? She'd hate that!
Arche is supposed to be a free spirit, gone wherever the wind takes her. I still find it weird that her broomstick is electric though. And that Leon is the only Tales character to dye their hair, though that's totally off topic.
Maybe when she walks she'll just levitate on her broomstick an inch off the ground, lol. I assume she would attack with quickly activated spells like lightning, fireball, etc. Smashes would be medium strong spells, Specials would be charged high spells as well as recovery moves and her FS would be Indignation, Meteor Storm, or somefin.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
If they can make spells position based for Pascal, I see no reason they couldn't make Arche work that way. Graces' Wind Lance and Maelstrom, Eternia's Thunder Blade, Vesperia's Ground Dasher and Phantasia GBA's Ice Needles would all fit well mechanically. FS would be Widdershin's (RM's Villain's) Hi-Ougi retextured to look like Indignation, since it is a perfect functional fit and Indignation is THE iconic Tales spell.

Movement really is all that worries me about her.

EDIT: we should either make a separate thread for Arche or have this become an "Unlikely Tales of Characters" thread.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I would be a subscriber if someone made a Tales thread.

Let's discuss format before we do it, though.

Let's say...

-Separate characters by game.
-Prioritized mentioning of most likely, most popular, and most sensible.
-Honorable mentions.

Anything else?

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Could do something like Stating ALL characters for the sake of stating them then highlight the main characters.

If no one makes the thread I'll do so in a little while. I'm typing using Gamepad atm. I'll get to the laptop momentarily.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
It is a shame the Wii version of this game did not make it outside of Japan. I must say, the battle concept in Tales of Graces is rather interesting. I really wish Namco Bandai would release more Tales games on Nintendo platforms...

Anyhow, though he would not be mine first choice as a Tales character in Smash 4 (mine preferred Tales character is Cless), Asbel would certainly make an interesting fighter in Smash 4. I also like his design, though I cannot say he is mine favourite character, personality-wise.
Tales of Graces has the most difficult battle system to me, I loved Asbel though, yet everyone seems to hate Graces for some reason.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Everyone hates graces because so much of the story is logically nonsensical and/or hilarious. The battle system is generally well liked, though I find it far too restrictive and much prefer Xillia where only attack use is CC based. Pascal is also one of its saving graces (pun not intended).

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Everyone hates graces because so much of the story is logically nonsensical and/or hilarious. The battle system is generally well liked, though I find it far too restrictive and much prefer Xillia where only attack use is CC based. Pascal is also one of its saving graces (pun not intended).
Hmm, I'm actually watching a playthrough of Xillia by omegaevolution. He does a bunch of Tales stuff and other games.

I may buy the game purely for collection since I no longer own a PS3. I can't purely judge it by watching, though. I don't have the feel.

Btw, I will create a thread by tomorrow if no one else takes responsibility. I decided to do so since I've thought it up in my head to be one heck of a long post. Good day then.

For now, only the more well known Tales will be featured. Cramming them all would be pretty hectic and might be even longer than the finalized cast for Sm4sh.

-Phantasia
-Symphonia
-Symphonia 2
-Abyss
-Destiny
-Eternia
-Vesperia
-Graces (F)
-Xillia

Misc.

Radiant Mythology

ryuu seika

Smash Master
So, I went ahead and Worked out something for Arche. She does not fly as such but can mimic it pretty well.

Weight: Just under Mario's.
Movement Speed: Similar to the Ice Climbers'.
Air Movement Speed: Similar to Kirby's (not that great but not terrible)
Fall Speed (Normal): Just under Mario's.
Fall Speed (Riding): About that of an umbrella using Peach.

Stance Shift: Arche walks holding her broom in one hand, riding it across the ground for her dash or mounting it mid air for her first jump. Both of these actions put her into her "riding stance", during which she is far floatier but also has far less ability to cancel momentum than any other character. Hitting a wall with or managing to end the dash (except via jumping) will return her to "carry stance", as will touching down on her feet or getting up from the downed position.

Second Jump: Volt appears and gives the broom an upwards boost.

Move List

Specials:
Up B - Tractor Beam: Arche motions, creating a glyph about 2 Arche heights above her head and roughly 5-6 broomless Arches wide. Small particles, seemingly comprised of light, flow upwards to this glyph, carrying anyone caught in the beam along with them. Players will travel upwards at their own fall speed, making this rather ineffective as a 3rd jump but, since they still have sideways control, it may be useful for positioning, or saving teammates in doubles. Players who leave the light will enter a helpless fall state, as will anyone caught in it when it ends. They will then fall at ~2 times the normal speed and, unless they are the user of the move, take damage based on this fall speed when they hit ground.
Neutral B - Thunder Blade: An arc of lightning emanates from a point just above Arche's feet, inside her body. It starts off pointing directly upwards and about 0.6 Arches tall, making it entirely sealed within her body. It rotates through 360 degrees, or until it hits a solid object (excludes players and most items), growing all the time and reaching ~2 Arche heights by the end. Arche falls slightly slower but cannot move in any other way while this is active. If it makes a move ending collision, she will be stunned for half the time the move would otherwise have continued for.
Forward B - Storm: Arche calls forth a blast of air from off screen behind her. Soon after activation, it will collide with her and fire her forward, damaging anyone she hits. Should someone be between her and the source, however, they will receive this windbox instead, though not the damaging properties. Either way, she will have a small helpless time after it ends but it could still potentially be used to pull opponents of stage for vicious followups.

Down B - Meteor Swarm: Arche raises her hand and a large meteor comes in from off screen at a 45 degree angle. It will be aligned to just graze her index finger in passing and, unless hit, she cannot move until this moment has occurred. Since it travels fairly slowly, it is usually easily dealt with, though hitting her out of the move is risky since it positions you in the projectile's path. Do not corner her on a walk off edge though or you're in real trouble! It will easily break shields and cannot be reflected. The side it will come in from is whichever Arche is closest to and is not determined by the way she is facing.

Smashes:
Up Smash - Fire Wall: Arche makes some elaborate gestures, then raises her hands to the sky, with her palms spread and her broom floating (vertical) infront of her. Her hands do a tiny a mount of damage and, if hit, opponents will be pushed sideways slightly, potentially making the main part of the attack miss. Next, a jet of traditionally textured lava about 0.5 broomless Arches in width bursts forth from her palms, climbing all the way to the upper blast zone with a speed based on the length of its charge. Collisions with it act like a weaker version of Brinstar's acid. It lasts a while, though it will end immediately if Arche herself is hit.
Forward Smash - Earthquake: A simple move in which Arche calls forth a series of stalagmites to jut from the ground in a short line infront of her, with the exact number based on the charge time. Yes, this is actually Ground Dasher but Arche doesn't actually have that.

Down Smash - Distortion: Now this is a weird move. Arche slams her broom into the ground (tiny hitbox with some damage) and a burst of temporal energy erupts from that point, resembling that seen in Cless' "Distortion Blade" but actually acting more like Dhaos/Sekundes Corridor. A massive wind will effect all outside the main blast, making this a good "get away from me!" move, its strength will depend on the charge length, with it doing almost nothing at no charge. The blast itself, however, does not effect enemy movement at all. It will stay up for a while and, since its damage over time affect will not impede enemy approach (those inside take small 1-2% hits quite frequently but not the stun or flinch that would normally accompany them), this makes Arche rather vulnerable if she doesn't get that charge time.

Tilts:
Up A - Fire Ball: Arche shoots a fireball upwards and it goes about 0.5 times her height before falling back down and splatting over an invisible shield around her (this bit is just a visual effect). Does no real knockback.
Forward A - Ice Arrow: Arche leans forward and a small icicle forms above her head, flinging itself down at an angle of about 35 degrees from horizontal. Creates a useful little stun but little damage or knockback.

Down A - Grave: Arche makes a motion with her hands as if calling something up from the ground and, low and behold, a stalagmite pokes at her foe.

Aerials:
Up Air - Ray: Arche raises a ball of light above her head which gives off short distance rays. Does little damage and no knockback but "blinds" foes, preventing input registration for a tiny period.
Neutral Air - Explode: Arche motions frantically and then suddenly gives off an explosion. The range is pitiful and the afterlag is terrible too but the damage and knockback are both high.
Forward Air - Flare Tornado: Arche twirls forwards on her broom, generating a small fiery whirlwind around herself. Does damage and does not have a wind effect.
Backward Air - Ice Tornado: Arche twirls backwards on her broom, generating a small icy whirlwind around herself. Does damage and does not have a wind effect.
Down Air - Lightning: A faintly visible transparent image of Volt appears over Arche as she brings her hands together infront of her, then a bolt of lightning travels downward from her broom with an effect much like Pikachu's.

Others:
Neutral Combo - Tetra Spell 1: Arche throws a fireball upwards and slightly forward, causing it to fall down infront of her and damage the opponent slightly.
Neutral Combo - Tetra Spell 2: Activatable any time between the throwing and the collision of the fireball. Arche raises her hand and a tiny lightning bolt strikes from just above her head height down to the point where the fireball would have landed (does not stop the motion of the fireball).
Neutral Combo - Tetra Spell 3: Activatable while the lightning bolt is fading away, Arche strikes the ground and an tiny icicle and stalagmite both jut from the ground at 45 degrees, converging on a point just above the lightning struck ground. Ends the combo.
Dash Attack - Tidal Wave: Water rises from below Arche and, just as she starts to get wet, she comes to an abrupt holt, the front end of her broom jammed into the ground and the back pivoting up into the air. During this motion, the water stays beneath the broom, meaning that, as the back of it rises, a massive wave forms behind her, arcing overhead and crashing down infront of Arche as she returns to a standing position. After this, she pulls her broom from between her legs and returns to her "carry" stance, all momentum gone. Does large damage but has wave properties instead of standard knockback.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Really nice. I like how she has 2 stances, per say.

Being strictly a magic user is pretty awesome as wll though for her neutral A combo I would think of something similar to Mewtwo's dash attack when holding an item like a Bat or Beam sword except neutral standing in front of her with her broom.

I like the sass you give her as well before she performs attacks like twirling her hands and spreading her palms, although those may be required for canon, lol. I think I'll start working on the thread. For now we'll start with Arche and Lloyd since I did make a moveset for Lloyd in the other Lloyd thread.

Symphonia will be posted first as it is the most popular followed by Phantasia, Graces, then every other Tales as misc. fruitless desires.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The hand motions are actually mostly to prevent her from having short startup on her excessively ranged moves. I mean, she can chuck a meteorite half way across the screen and then follow up with a flaming laser which has infinite vertical range. That needs limitations.

EDIT: I forgot the Final Smash there. It would not be what I mentioned before since Meteor Storm does that already. It would be one of these:
Extinction: Removes a character of your choice from the battle completely (seems OP).
Big Bang: A large gravity well that sucks foes in, then explodes.
Indignation: A massive lightning bolt from the sky that crashes into the middle of the stage. Preferably with the original look and those tiny sparks flying off and dealing minimal damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom