• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I was talking smack and now I need help

DroveSour

Smash Cadet
I was talking with some friends about Smash, and we planned to have like a big Smash event this afternoon. Well, me being me, I get confident and talk myself up. I now am having to go try and destroy people in Melee. I literally only play Sm4sh and tiny tiny bit of Brawl.
I don't know how to wavedash.
I don't know how L cancel.
I can do squat.
I really don't feel like getting my butt kicked today.
Can someone be a pal and give me some basic Melee so I don't get wrecked too hard?

Play Marth. If your opponents play as Fox, Falco, or Falcon, you can combo uthrow > utilt/fsmash. Against everyone else, use fthrow/dthrow > fsmash. Marth has a really good grab. If you shield an attack, you can grab an opponent out of it. Space with short hop fairs, nairs, and sometimes ftilt. Dash dance to help make your opponents miss. Don't flail fsmash too much

Wak's Advanced How To Play videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZLs2doK8E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFmGIOcWdsM

Last edited:

DroveSour

Smash Cadet
Play Marth. If your opponents play as Fox, Falco, or Falcon, you can combo uthrow > utilt/fsmash. Against everyone else, use fthrow/dthrow > fsmash. Marth has a really good grab. If you shield an attack, you can grab an opponent out of it. Space with short hop fairs, nairs, and sometimes ftilt. Dash dance to help make your opponents miss. Don't flail fsmash too much

Wak's Advanced How To Play videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZLs2doK8E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFmGIOcWdsM
Alright sweet. So Marth. I'm amusing he's best on FD?
I might just be a scrub and wobble. You just grab and slowly move the joystick down to make tilts come out right?

Alright sweet. So Marth. I'm amusing he's best on FD?
I might just be a scrub and wobble. You just grab and slowly move the joystick down to make tilts come out right?
If you play Ice Climbers, you might need to be able to wavedsash to help you get grabs better. They're a pretty complicated character to play as. Wobbling can be done with nana ftilting or dtilting and I think most players prefer using her ftilt. I don't know what the exact timing is to wobble. Can you quickly practice it?

DroveSour

Smash Cadet
If you play Ice Climbers, you might need to be able to wavedsash to help you get grabs better. They're a pretty complicated character to play as. Wobbling can be done with nana ftilting or dtilting and I think most players prefer using her ftilt. I don't know what the exact timing is to wobble. Can you quickly practice it?
I might just need to hit up wavedashing in general.
I'm actually in school right now, so I can't practice.
This is how my school works. We don't throw punches down after school, we throw down in smash.

DroveSour

Smash Cadet

JipC

Smash Journeyman
lol frauuuuuuuuuuud
>this afternoon
lmao, you're ****ed kid
just practice spamming Marths fsmash/peachs dsmash or chaingrabbing/dthrow fair with sheik

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Basically though, if they already play Melee there is no way you are winning
If they dont... I mean they are probably casuals anyway who will want to play free-for-alls. Just spam Pika's downB I always hear casuals complain about that.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Looks like I'm going Marth. Does his side special gain momentum in the air? I know he doesn't know Sm4sh
technical info: http://smashboards.com/threads/kadano’s-perfect-marth-class—advanced-frame-data-application.337035/page-6#post-15953969
practical recommendation: When recovering after being sent offstage, drift towards the stage, preserving both your DJ and your first side b instance. Once you get in the range where you could up-b successfully mix up between doing up b immediately (hopefully onto the stage / knocking your opponent off the ledge, because he reacted to late) or stall out with dj/side b (hopefully scaring your opponent off the ledge and therefore being able to recover to it afterwards). If your DJ fair/uair will still connect to a hanging opponent that mixup is esepecially powerful

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also, you'd have to learn how to desync and perform wobble setups for ICs, which can be difficult to pull off with proper spacing and are fairly situational. Marth is probably your best bet at the moment, seeing as Falcon, Falco and Fox's falling speeds would be super difficult to work with if you're used to Sm4sh mechanics. Also, you should know that spotdodges, rolls, airdodges, and shields aren't as safe in Melee. Depending on the level of your friend they may be safe, but just know that you shouldn't do it a crazy amount if you plan on playing the game further.

DroveSour

Smash Cadet
Also, you'd have to learn how to desync and perform wobble setups for ICs, which can be difficult to pull off with proper spacing and are fairly situational. Marth is probably your best bet at the moment, seeing as Falcon, Falco and Fox's falling speeds would be super difficult to work with if you're used to Sm4sh mechanics. Also, you should know that spotdodges, rolls, airdodges, and shields aren't as safe in Melee. Depending on the level of your friend they may be safe, but just know that you shouldn't do it a crazy amount if you plan on playing the game further.
Well. I just got back from it. It was fun actually. I got shreked, but then we ended up just playing doubles for like an hour. I definitely do want to get a little better at Melee though.

ArmedShadow

Smash Cadet
Well. I just got back from it. It was fun actually. I got shreked, but then we ended up just playing doubles for like an hour. I definitely do want to get a little better at Melee though.
Yeah doubles is fun as donuts people should play it more and about getting better you should. it makes the game more fun when skill levels match.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Definitely pick Falcon. He's awesome, and more stylish.

DroveSour

Smash Cadet
Yeah doubles is fun as donuts people should play it more and about getting better you should. it makes the game more fun when skill levels match.
I honestly didnt understand how fun Melee could be, but I'm still a big Sm4sh fan.
Definitely pick Falco. He's awesome, and super stylish.
With all that Falco rep you've got in your signature and quote, I'm thinking you are Falco himself.
Definitely pick Falcon. He's awesome, and more stylish.
I've always been buns at falcon.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
I honestly didnt understand how fun Melee could be, but I'm still a big Sm4sh fan.

With all that Falco rep you've got in your signature and quote, I'm thinking you are Falco himself.

I've always been buns at falcon.
EH | Saiblade confirmed Flaco.
I'm not saying I'm Falco, but no one has ever seen him and I in the same room together.

ArmedShadow

Smash Cadet
I'm not saying I'm Falco, but no one has ever seen him and I in the same room together.
can confirm blade is falco. and yes falco is sick. fox is good. idk about marth i got beef with him.
one day im gonna get Falco Vs. Marth down!
but yeah i say fox, falco, marth, falcon, peach but dont let me stop u with this tier talk pick whoever your heart desires oh yeah and sheik heh

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
can confirm blade is falco. and yes falco is sick. fox is good. idk about marth i got beef with him.
one day im gonna get Falco Vs. Marth down!
but yeah i say fox, falco, marth, falcon, peach but dont let me stop u with this tier talk pick whoever your heart desires oh yeah and sheik heh
Contact me if you'd like help with Falco Marth, and lmao, I wish Falcon was that high.

CrackaaJack

Smash Cadet
I was talking with some friends about Smash, and we planned to have like a big Smash event this afternoon. Well, me being me, I get confident and talk myself up. I now am having to go try and destroy people in Melee. I literally only play Sm4sh and tiny tiny bit of Brawl.
I don't know how to wavedash.
I don't know how L cancel.
I can do squat.
I really don't feel like getting my butt kicked today.
Can someone be a pal and give me some basic Melee so I don't get wrecked too hard?
Learn all the smash games maybe :'D

_Dubs

Smash Rookie
You're screwed. Fundamentals aren't developed in one day, and they can't be learned online. What you can learn online is tech. Once you have enough understanding of tech to comprehend what happens in a game of Melee, you can then focus on playing around an opponent.

Top Bottom