• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I was streamed at tourny; looking for some criticism

Tumultus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTumultus
The best way to learn how to improve on something is to get different perspectives. I was on stream at our local weekly last night playing a pretty decent Mario in the area. Mario is a troublesome matchup. I personally have a lot of trouble playing comfortably against Mario; I can tell you I'm afraid of crossing him up with SHAD to u-air approaches because of his crazy up smash. A lot of the time I relied on making him think it's okay to shoot a ton of fireballs, just so I could force a CS through them.

What do you think of this? Any advice/comments?

Oh, and I totally tried to style on game 2 and it really backfired. You'll see what I mean, LOL

http://www.twitch.tv/gamingknights1/b/676447214?t=1h07m51s

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Great play, you're doing a great job on getting your CS out of tech-chases (or close enough that he can't react fast enough :p).
My only real suggestion is that when you've hurt his shield go for the CS shield break.
If you re-watch your matches I don't think you're thinking in the moment of shield breaks, several times he shields a bomb dropped from on high and you have a CS primed but you don't go for it.
For me, if I see someone shield a high bomb -> CS is reflex. Super missile -> CS is nowhere near as good as bomb->CS. (Totally ironic that Xygonn just updated the shield break thread, I swear we are not telepathic).
I would use a bit more dash at low percents, a bit more up-tilt in the mid percents and some d-air on stage in the higher range because they set up combos and opportunities.
Good fun!

Last edited:

Tumultus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTumultus
Great play, you're doing a great job on getting your CS out of tech-chases (or close enough that he can't react fast enough :p).
My only real suggestion is that when you've hurt his shield go for the CS shield break.
If you re-watch your matches I don't think you're thinking in the moment of shield breaks, several times he shields a bomb dropped from on high and you have a CS primed but you don't go for it.
For me, if I see someone shield a high bomb -> CS is reflex. Super missile -> CS is nowhere near as good as bomb->CS. (Totally ironic that Xygonn just updated the shield break thread, I swear we are not telepathic).
I would use a bit more dash at low percents, a bit more up-tilt in the mid percents and some d-air on stage in the higher range because they set up combos and opportunities.
Good fun!
Great advice; in general I mostly relegate my bomb usage for air jukes/defensive maneuvers. I've gotten shield breaks in the past from bomb -> CS, but I can see here some instances in which I don't make it a point to actively try it, as you said.

MegaRiff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaRiff
The best way to learn how to improve on something is to get different perspectives. I was on stream at our local weekly last night playing a pretty decent Mario in the area. Mario is a troublesome matchup. I personally have a lot of trouble playing comfortably against Mario; I can tell you I'm afraid of crossing him up with SHAD to u-air approaches because of his crazy up smash. A lot of the time I relied on making him think it's okay to shoot a ton of fireballs, just so I could force a CS through them.

What do you think of this? Any advice/comments?

Oh, and I totally tried to style on game 2 and it really backfired. You'll see what I mean, LOL

http://www.twitch.tv/gamingknights1/b/676447214?t=1h07m51s
I noticed there were some unintended bomb jumps. Those are so dangerous. Try and avoid those at all costs. but the good thing is, your bomb jukes are on point.

It also seems to me that you are playing more habitual than reactionary, if that makes any sense. Great third match too. That was a nail biter!

Thanks for sharing.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
I noticed there were some unintended bomb jumps. Those are so dangerous. Try and avoid those at all costs. but the good thing is, your bomb jukes are on point.

It also seems to me that you are playing more habitual than reactionary, if that makes any sense. Great third match too. That was a nail biter!

Thanks for sharing.
Its such a bad feeling when you line up a move and you do a bomb jump instead....-_- man the times i could have kept or changed momentum only to have that screw me up.

Fantastic games! I was really entertained by it keep up the good work.I just want to point out one thing you didn't pummel a few times when getting the grab. Was it just due to wanting the damage and not having him break out?

Top Bottom