• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I want to learn Falcon.

SixSaw

Smash Journeyman
All the Melee Falcon guides are relevant to PM Falcon. That's a good place to start.
Just keep in mind the new tools Falcon has in PM as well. Namely an enhanced Falcon Kick and Side-B recovery.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I would suggest taking a look at the Melee Falcon guides, they'll help you a lot.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I'd actually be careful about strictly following Melee Falcon guides. Falcon can't rush in as hard in this game so his game has emphasis in different places in P:M.

D

Deleted member

I'd actually be careful about strictly following Melee Falcon guides. Falcon can't rush in as hard in this game so his game has emphasis in different places in P:M.
Yeah, you're right. Probably should have explained myself better in the previous post.

Melee Falcon guides will give you the basics, basically, but Melee MU's and The Metagame can't help you with PM. PM and Melee Falcon are similar, but not exactly the same.

moobs

Smash Rookie
does anyone know how to knee someone who is edge guarding when falcon is grabbing the edge? I try to shorthop knee off the edge but my falcon always does a complete jump so its easy to predict

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
does anyone know how to knee someone who is edge guarding when falcon is grabbing the edge? I try to shorthop knee off the edge but my falcon always does a complete jump so its easy to predict
You can't short hop off the edge. The only jump that can be short hopped is your normal grounded jump.

Hopping off the edge with knee isn't really useful unless you're punishing something like a stage recovery or a failed ledge guard or a forced ledge hop from tethering characters. Even then, you're better off using a Dair instead and following it up with a combo/knee, unless they're in the air. If you want to ledge hop into an aerial I'd recommend Nair, but even that can be dangerous if they see it coming. Jumping up and wave landing into a grab is also an option if they're a little further away. Falcon isn't great on the edge, I usually just try and mix up my way back onto the stage and get to where falcon is better off, the ground game.

Last edited:

-Key-

Smash Cadet
If you're asking about the actual mechanics of how to ledgehop (in comparison to the normal jumping get-up that occurs when you just press jump while hanging on the edge), you have to let go of the edge (this can be done by pushing either the C-stick or Control Stick down) and then immediately double-jump.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
If you're asking about the actual mechanics of how to ledgehop (in comparison to the normal jumping get-up that occurs when you just press jump while hanging on the edge), you have to let go of the edge (this can be done by pushing either the C-stick or Control Stick down) and then immediately double-jump.
Good catch, I had only just realized that he was ledge jumping while trying to ledge hop.

It's safer to press back rather than down, since down makes you fast fall. Pressing back on the control stick can also make you move back slightly, which might not be good if you want far reach when ledge hopping and especially if you're going to be wave landing, so it's best to press back on the c stick.

If you perform the ledge hop perfectly it doesn't even matter, but it can be the difference between having to regrab the ledge after a mistake and fast falling to your death, especially with a fast faller like falcon.

Smurfymike

Smash Rookie
Hey I was watching a melee vid and it was showing the ability to edge guard with aerials and still grab the ledge. Is this still possible in pm? I can't seem to do it, however it may just be my timing or button presses.

Example:

-Key-

Smash Cadet
Hey I was watching a melee vid and it was showing the ability to edge guard with aerials and still grab the ledge. Is this still possible in pm? I can't seem to do it, however it may just be my timing or button presses.
It is indeed possible, you just have to be extremely quick with the Bair. What button/stick combination are you using when you're trying to do this? I was only able to do it by adjusting my grip in way that would be completely unpractical mid-match (but for testing this it did the trick). I normally use C-stick for aerials, and I was never able to get my thumb from Y to the C-stick fast enough doing it that way. Perhaps with practice I could get it, but it's also possible that the only way to pull it off is to use control stick + A to execute the Bair so that you can basically mash Y and A at the same time.

Last edited:

Smurfymike

Smash Rookie
It is indeed possible, you just have to be extremely quick with the Bair. What button/stick combination are you using when you're trying to do this? I was only able to do it by adjusting my grip in way that would be completely unpractical mid-match (but for testing this it did the trick). I normally use C-stick for aerials, and I was never able to get my thumb from Y to the C-stick fast enough doing it that way. Perhaps with practice I could get it, but it's also possible that the only way to pull it off is to use control stick + A to execute the Bair so that you can basically mash Y and A at the same time.
Yeah i'm testing it some more right now, and it seems that the only way i can get it is if I use a claw grip, which I don't normally use. Damn I feel like this is a pretty safe option to edgeguard.

Smurfymike

Smash Rookie
Okay I did some more testing today and I was able to get it about 7-8/10 times by holding the tip of my thumb on the Y button and the pad of my thumb on the A button.

Step by Step Instructions for a normal grip user:
1. Push Control Stick backwards off ledge
2. Immediately roll your thumb down from the Y button to the A button ( As if you were doing a UpSmash OOS)
3. After pressing A, quickly push the Control Stick back towards the edge.

This has given me mostly successful results

Back Air :

Up Air:

Along with more practice, this will surely become a 90%+ success rate!

(Also if anyone can tell me a better way to upload a GIF, please let me know. Apparently 7MB is too big for imgur.)

Last edited:

-Key-

Smash Cadet
Good stuff, I will have to work on implementing these. It's awesome that Uair can do it too because that move is so good.

Top Bottom