• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I want to know how bad I have it

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
K... long story short there is something horribly wrong with the cable/internet connection in my area. We had 5 different guys come out, none could fix the problem. My entire street has the same issue- horrible inconsistenty in connections and being kicked off randomly even if being hardwired to the modem.

I love playing SSF4 but it's ridiculous how much input lag I have. It's unplayable at times and frustrating. I hardly ever get green and if i do it usually flucuates to yellow or red during the game so i'll like win the first round then get wrecked round 2 and 3. =/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9IsaMybna8

We purchased the most powerful modem and router, ones just for gaming and had the best technichian set it up and we still are getting kicked from xbox360 or internet. He ran a test and it said

94% packets are being dropped. It flucuates between 6-17% actually making it

He said it is the ISP, and there is something wrong with the cable underground. We have Time Warner Cable, and i have a feeling they wont do ****ing **** even though we have proof it's them with the tests.

I google time warner and:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&...g1g-v3g-o1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=3ef657eb4d8c6f0d

yeah... i have a feeling they wont do **** for us. I'm just so frustrated, i waste so much time getting blown up in lag on 360, and getting kicked off the internet randomly. I'm a really good player, but lag and I dont mix. I miss ranked but im too afraid to play it because its just russian roulette

So my question

1. please explain what 94% packets being dropped means, and how bad it is

2. What the hell should i do?

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
1. Very simplistically, it means 94% of the messages that get sent through your connection don't make it through. Depending on the things you're doing this means either things using your connection will work very poorly/not at all, or might just be slowed down. (Some technologies are more resilient than others by design.)

2. Call Time Warner, tell them what you found (94% packet loss), that your connection is unusable, that they haven't been able to fix it, that it's a widespread issue on your street, and that you want to cancel. They might offer to have someone try to address the issue (hopefully in a way they haven't unsuccessfully tried already), or do something else to resolve things. (Odds are they still want your money, so they'd rather you not switch to a competitor.) If they don't, or they do in a way that's not to your satisfaction, follow through with your threat and switch to DSL/FiOS/whatever else is available in your area.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
1. Very simplistically, it means 94% of the messages that get sent through your connection don't make it through. Depending on the things you're doing this means either things using your connection will work very poorly/not at all, or might just be slowed down. (Some technologies are more resilient than others by design.)

2. Call Time Warner, tell them what you found (94% packet loss), that your connection is unusable, that they haven't been able to fix it, that it's a widespread issue on your street, and that you want to cancel. They might offer to have someone try to address the issue (hopefully in a way they haven't unsuccessfully tried already), or do something else to resolve things. (Odds are they still want your money, so they'd rather you not switch to a competitor.) If they don't, or they do in a way that's not to your satisfaction, follow through with your threat and switch to DSL/FiOS/whatever else is available in your area.
Thank you for your recommendation, I appreciate it.

Top Bottom