• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I want this place alive.

Hawt Salsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
illuminati
3DS FC
0666-0420-1337
Hi there everyone. My name is Hawt Salsa.
I'm now a young link main from Washington. I've been playing Young Link on the side for a few months now for fun, and I now feel like it's time for me to make the switch and FULLY main a character. That's right, I'm going to force myself no matter how badly I get wrecked, or no matter how much I want to play someone else (as a main), I will choose Young, ****ING, LINK.

Now, that's not the poing. Along with this ****, WE NEED THIS GOT
DAYUM FORUM ALIVE. I will try my best to constantly give any creative tech I've found out, or anything of the sort. I'll contribute to this board as much as possible BUT I CAN'T BE THE ONLY ONE. So I say lets all chip the **** in, and make people want to play this character again. Maybe we can start an open guide like the link players did.
Report in mother****ers, It's time we get this ***** rolling. Who's with me?

Edit: I apologize for he cursing. /$

Last edited:

Young Rinku

Smash Cadet
So, what's your favorite matchup against Young Link to get the ball rolling? I have to say mine's probably either Falcon's or Falco's that don't know the matchup, or just a simple YLink dupe.

Hawt Salsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
illuminati
3DS FC
0666-0420-1337
I love playing against puff, it's the stereotypical "young like matchup", but I just love the feeling of all my projectiles doing work. I like fox as well because I like suffocating him with bombs, it's a real momentum killer.

Young Rinku

Smash Cadet
I have a friend who plays a pretty good Puff, and the first time I ever played his Puff, I just had to show off my Young Link. I can't help but love that MU too, it's just too fun.
As for Fox, I don't really like playing that MU with YL. I don't really know why, but I seem to get rekt everytime I play it, similar to how I sometimes am garbage at the Marth MU.

Hawt Salsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
illuminati
3DS FC
0666-0420-1337
It's a fairly difficult matchup vs. Fox. Doesn't Marth have a great matchup against YL? I feel like he completely outranges YL, and it's harder to platform camp with his sword going all over the place..

Young Rinku

Smash Cadet
Yeah, it's pretty bad against Marth. Marth can use his huge sword to attack from like, twice the length of YL's, once you're caught in the air it could very well be a stock, and he can dodge and maneuver around his projectiles so easy as well to boot, especially on stages like Dream Land. It's so bad for me that I learned how to play Sheik specifically for that MU.

Hawt Salsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
illuminati
3DS FC
0666-0420-1337
Good to know. I've got a fairly technical fox I could pull out for Marth and Sheik if need it be. I'm going to assume The Sheik matchup is just as bad?

Young Rinku

Smash Cadet
What Sheik vs Young Link?
Yeah it's pretty bad.
Young Link gets chaingrabbed super hard by her and its pretty hard to DI out of because she can just stick right on you.
If you play a Sheik that doesn't know the MU and is just grabbing everywhere it's fairly easy and fun, since you can just suffocate her with projectiles, but against a decent Sheik, you need to be on your toes.

Hawt Salsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
illuminati
3DS FC
0666-0420-1337
So are the Fox and Falco matchups considered extremely bad? I just find them difficult.

Young Rinku

Smash Cadet
Young Link is put down as a having disadvantage against Fox, while Falco is a large disadvantage.
Personally, I find them hard enough to play where I'll switch off YL, but if I feel confident enough, I'll play against a Falco with him, since Falco's pretty easy to gimp if used wrong. Fox is a no-no for me though, I dislike playing that one. I usually switch off to Falco/Marth if I'm playing those two, it's much easier for me.

Hawt Salsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
illuminati
3DS FC
0666-0420-1337
Why exactly do you choose to play against Falco with YL but not Fox? I always find the Falco MU harder because of the neutral game with lasers (even though you can avoid them with platforms), But I feel that Fox would only be just as difficult as Falco.

Young Rinku

Smash Cadet
I'm not exactly sure, but I think it's due to knowing that MU more since my brother and I used to play all the time, so I've seen and played against a lot of Falco's tricks. Going YL isn't my first choice of course (Probably the Falco dupe), but yeah, I find that one playable at times, it just depends on the conditions. Fox on the other hand, I never really had a lot of practice against, so when I started playing against competent ones, I decided that it be better, for me at least, to go Marth/Falco and have a much better chance.

Hawt Salsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
illuminati
3DS FC
0666-0420-1337
So if you go a different character for Fox, Falco (occasionally), Marth, and Sheik.. Do you only play YL for Peach and below?

JemTheScrub101

Smash Cadet
I would be happy to share any interesting stuff I come across, as I also hope to see this thread come alive. Out of curiosity, why did you guys (and any other YL mains reading this) pick up Young Link and stick with him? I personally loved how many tricks and gimmicks there were to explore, and the edgeguarding against Spacies is just too awesome.

e.g http://gfycat.com/FondPlayfulCarp#
http://gfycat.com/ActualAnnualHarborporpoise

Last edited:

Young Rinku

Smash Cadet
So if you go a different character for Fox, Falco (occasionally), Marth, and Sheik.. Do you only play YL for Peach and below?
Pretty much. Anything below Puff I'll go YL first unless I don't feel like playing him that game/set, or I REALLY am unsure. I look at the MU's above Puff, and I'm not a big fan of them.
I would be happy to share any interesting stuff I come across, as I also hope to see this thread come alive. Out of curiosity, why did you guys (and any other YL mains reading this) pick up Young Link and stick with him? I personally loved how many tricks and gimmicks there were to explore, and the edgeguarding against Spacies is just too awesome.

I always like telling this story.
I chose my main in Melee because when I was younger and I played through Ocarina of Time, my favorite playing times were with Young Link in game. I always loved the beginning of the game and all that you could do with him (Castle Town, Epona, Zora's Domain), and I also loved Majora's Mask as well (even though it scared me when I was young!). My dad actually made a Deku Shield and wooden Kokiri Sword for me so i could go around as him, so when I first played Smash (5th grade I believe?), I saw him and instantly went with him. I do not regret it a single bit, as now I get to run around FD bombing, boomeranging, and nairing my opponents around it.
That's why I picked Young Link.

Hawt Salsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
illuminati
3DS FC
0666-0420-1337

First off, how have I never seen those beautiful edgeguards :O

After I first saw Armada go YL against Hungrybox, I was interested in the ways of his projectiles. Then I saw some Laijin stuff, and I was hooked. I had played him on the side a LOT, but I don't think it was until Armada's performance at Evo that I finally just went off and mained the character. It wasn't even Armada that did it, I really REALLY wanted to main him, but I was afraid to main a low tier in this state. Then Gimpyfish62 came along and said if you're not trying to be the goat, main whoever the hell you want. So my goal was to be the best young link.

My text is probably tangled garbage, just woke up.

Hawt Salsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
illuminati
3DS FC
0666-0420-1337

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
YO hawt salsa, do you ever come to Oregon tourneys? im a born again, aspiring YL main too, I would love to play you and stuff

Top Bottom