• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

i ve got the game....my mario impressions so far

fazares

Smash Apprentice
i ve finally got this amazing game....it plays a lot like a cross between ssb64 and ssbm...
now i ll get into details and deliver some analysis about most notable things noticed while playing as mario for 2 hours no-stop....
game is floatier.... u ll find urself a lot in the air...
mario details:
n-air:better knockback and almost 0 lag(just like most mario airs)
it still needs to connect within the first frames to get the killing knockback

b-air:better knockback and the animation is similiar to a reverse mario f-air in ssb64(mario does a spin after)

u-air:better knockback...its more horizontal so u can kill people easier with it at high percent....specially in small stages....u can do a reverse up-air in this game...its the same as ganandorf/c.falco....u hit them with the hitbox placed behind mario...useful for ledgeguarding...

d-air:its the mario tornado..but if u connect with the lower part....it just works like mario old d-air...but if u get the opponent in the tornado(hitbox in the the middle/upper)it sucks and pop them out...just like marios old down-b....it can kill at very high percentage

f-air:this move has two effects ...we already knew it...what we didnt knew...is that to get the horizontal knockback u must hit them while the punch is above mario head...very hard...possible ,mostly, when ur opponent is on a platform and ur below....or when ur opponent is quite tall,a big target...(i hardly can get it against small opponent...the hitbox is so weird with this..:-))
for the rest(punch in the middle and below mario head) this attack spikes as usual....but this time u can recover faster from it:-)

tilts looked the same to me..... maybe the f-tilt has a slightly better knockback....his up-tilt can kill at very high percentages...

neutral b:his fireball looked to come out faster...has slightly less range but the hitstun looked improved to me....:-)

forward-b: cape looked the same to me...maybe a bit longer...u can still use it in recovery...but i didnt use it as much as i did in ssbm...very good for stalling...

down-b: fludd....argh....this move didnt impress me....i found opponents disrupting any attempt at edgeguardin with just their recovery move or anything that isnt them standing still ...lol...maybe...better as recovery....if ur facing the opposite side of the ledge....u gain a lot of orizontal momentum...but i d suggest to use it if the opponet launch u very high in that u have the time to charge it a bit and make it to the ledge...u can use his aireial mobility to disrupt any attempt at comboing u in the air(ex. pikachu up-smash to down-b)
u can use it to push dangerous items toward opponents(ex. bobombs groups)...it works wonders in ffa:-)

up-b:his coin punch is quite improved both as recovery and attack....it goes more toward the ledge....and u can kill at very high percentage.... the lag after this move is reduced...

f-smash:his range looked almost the same and so is the knockback....sweetspot didnt look evident... at least not ssbm evident;-)

up-smash:tremendous improvement....this move got a huge boost in priority and to a lesser extent ,in knockback...i spammed it more times in a single ssbb match than my entire ssbm career...lol:-)
i got a more horizontal knockback sometime...i still cant figure how i did it but its probably realated to a specific part of the attack that i connected...

down-smash:mostly the same...maybe a bit slower...slightly better range

throws looked the same except maybe the b-throw that looked slightly less lethal....i also found harder to throw into combos....

mario looks improved.... his airs are really good as proirity and speed is conceived and this really matters in a game without l-cancel.....mario has got way more killing options...all of his smashes,his f-air,b-air, n-air and u-air serve the purpose very well wheres in ssbm u could only count on his f-smash,d-smash and ur ability in edgeguarding....
eheh sorry for the wall of text....
btw if u want a better impression go play ssb64...mario reverted to that status as knockback and priority are concerned while retaining his ssbm cape,f-air and f-smash....

if u have questions ask me ....

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
You should put spaces between lines. It will make it easier to read, otherwise, I'm glad that Mario is still simular to his old self. Great thread!

fazares

Smash Apprentice
similiar....and better....u will find an easier time to get kills with him....his up-smash is gold.....:-)

CO18

Smash Hero
Great thread. But i do agree you should put spaces in between the lines to make it easier to read.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
A question...

Can you use the cape to return Samus' Final Smash?

Vanish07

Smash Rookie
hahaha cape return the Zero Laser....oh man. i doubt the move would be called a "Final Smash" if Mario could just reflect it back at her.

anyways, i'm glad to see that Mario's Fair meteor smash move is easier to hit with. horizontal knockback when his fist is over his head? that's sweet dude, it'll be totally easier to use now. my brother is a Mario main, he'll be glad, that was always one of his favorite moves.

fazares

Smash Apprentice
haha...reflecting samus FS.... the humour is strong on this one:-)
btw i KOed 2 people (free for all)with the last part of mario d-air..i dont remember the percentage....exactly...it was a vertical kill,but u can add another way to get kill at high pergentage....

supersonicdjs

Smash Journeyman
How good is Mario's Meteor Smash? I used that move a lot in Melee with Mario and I would be very glad to hear some impressions on his Meteor Smash.

fazares

Smash Apprentice
u mean mario f-air...?
read my impressions....d-tilt is the same...as i stated previously....
btw i koed marth at about 160% with mario b-air from a side of the norfair stage to the opposite...sure... thats not something u could ever accomplish in ssbm...:-D
so i ve corrected my impression on this attack....

fazares

Smash Apprentice
u can push shells toward the opponent with fludd....and other dangerous items.....

xiaonomercy

Smash Cadet
i ve finally got this amazing game....it plays a lot like a cross between ssb64 and ssbm...
now i ll get into details and deliver some analysis about most notable things noticed while playing as mario for 2 hours no-stop....
game is floatier.... u ll find urself a lot in the air...
mario details:
n-air:looks like it does slightly more knockback and almost 0 lag(just like most mario airs)
b-air:better knockback and the animation is similiar to a reverse mario f-air in ssb64(mario does a spin after)
u-air:looked the same to me...
d-air:its the mario tornado..but if u connect with the lower part....it just works like mario old d-air...but if u get the opponent in the tornado(hitbox in the the middle/upper)it sucks and pop them out...just like marios old down-b....it can kill at high percentage
f-air:this move has two effects ...we already knew it...what we didnt knew...is that to get the orizontal knockback u must hit them while the punch is above mario head...very hard...possible ,mostly, when ur opponent is on a platform and ur below....or when ur opponent is quite tall,a big target...(i hardly can get it against small opponent...the hitbox is so weird with this..:-))
for the rest(punch in the middle and below mario head) this attack spikes as usual....but this time u can recover faster from it:-)
tilts looked the same to me..... maybe the f-tilt has a slightly better knockback....
neutral b:his fireball looked to come out faster...has slightly less range but the hitstun looked improved to me....:-)
forward-b: cape looked the same tome...maybe a bit longer...u can still use it in recovery...but i didnt use it as much as i did in ssbm
down-b: fludd....argh....this move didnt impress me....i found opponents disrupting any attempt at edgeguardin with just their recovery move or anything that isnt them standing still ...lol...maybe...better as recovery....if ur facing the opposite side of the ledge....u gain a lot of orizontal momentum...but i d suggest to use it if the opponet launch u very high in that u have the time to charge it a bit and make it to the ledge..:-)
up-b:his coin punch is quite improved both as recovery and attack....it goes more toward the ledge....and u can kill at very high percentage.... the lag after this move is reduced...
f-smash:his range looked almost the same and so is the knockback....sweetspot didnt look evident... at least not ssbm evident;-)
up-smash:tremendous improvement....this move got a huge boost in priority and to a lesser extent ,in knockback...i spammed it more times in a single ssbb match than my entire ssbm career...lol:-)
down-smash:mostly the same...maybe a bit slower...
throws looked the same except maybe the b-throw that looked slightly less lethal....i also found harder to throw into combos....
mario looks improved.... his airs are really good as proirity and speed is conceived and this really matters in a game without l-cancel.....mario has got way more killing options...all of his smashes,his f-air and his beastly n-air serve thepurpose very well wheres in ssbm u could only count on his f-smash,d-smash and ur ability in edgeguarding....
eheh sorry for the wall of text....
if u have questions ask me ....
reading all this is hurting my eyes. could you tell me if mario's fair is a spike like in melee or does it hit the opponent up like dr mario?

fazares

Smash Apprentice
the d-air is way better than the old one...a meteor smash is when u have sparkles coming out while spiking the opponent....a la ganondorf d-air....though itsnt always this way...
P.S: i ve updated my impressions on the fludd,up-tilt,up-air and d-air...:-)
go check...
P.S2:i put the space between the lines to make the read easier...:-)
i heard you....hehe

fazares

Smash Apprentice
in ssbm u had to sweetspot often if u want to use his f-smash effectively....in this game.... no....the sweetspot is less evident meaning that u will get the full power f-smash most the time....

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
Tell me about the cape as an edgeguard. I'm told that many characters automatically turn around and grab the ledge during up-b (Mario, C. Falcon, etc.). How does this and other new recovery nuances affect Mario's ability to turn people around with the cape and send them to their doom?

Also, how do you feel about Mario's overall recovery game at this point? Is it Melee bad, or is it safer?

-ADA-

Smash Apprentice
I noticed when I caped Lucario once while he did his up-b, when he got turned around. It wasn't JUST being turned around. It's like when I hit him with he his up-b lasted longer and went the other way far enough so that he couldn't grab on.

About his recovery I think it's safer. Wayy better up-b and spammable fireballs. So definately better than Melee. Only bad this is the whole FLUDD problem. T.T

fazares

Smash Apprentice
I think Mario's Dair got worse because he has no priority with it now. -_-
his d-air is just the same priority wise..if ur hitting them with the lowere body...it works as the old d-air....its better because, if done right(hitbox int the middle-upper), sends the opponent flying quite far and can kill at very high percents...
mario recovery is improved a lot...i said that.... already...go check my impressions on his up-b....and if u are sent very very far...u can still use the reverse fludd and then un up b...but its quite rare...

NOALink

Smash Rookie
Mario's fireballs actually have less hitstun this time around, in my opinion. I was a Mario main in melee, and have Brawl now, and it's virtually impossible to link a successful fireball directly into a downsmash with the certainty of connecting that existed in melee, for instance. Disappointing. The fireballs have other nice properties (reversing the neutral b like so many characters can now), and may be even more spammable than melee, but they do a point less damage, travel shorter distances, and really don't link up that well.

fazares

Smash Apprentice
the hitstun is better... i noticed that when using them as an edgeguarding tool..they reverted to their old ssb64 status as speed,hitsun and range are concerned....the reason urnt going to do that d-smash combo is because physics are different this time and the d-smash itself is a bit slower...only few characters can succesfully rely on their ssbm combo...i know it...:-/

Josiah

Smash Cadet
I might use....Mario....in the tournament....at Gamestop....

Since Dr. Mario....was a character I used....in Melee....frequently....

If items are going to be....on....and I think they will be....on....

Cape might come in....very handy.... :-))))))))))))

But that depends....on what....if anything....is....unlocked....

NOALink

Smash Rookie
Oh, on the fireball hitstun issue, I was playing a Mario ditto against EGGZ a week or so ago, and we both agreed that fireballs have essentially zero hitstun this time around.

fazares

Smash Apprentice
to me they look to have the same hitstun as his ssb64 self...follow up looks harder thnx to the different physics engine...

BananaHammock

Smash Journeyman
On the FLUDD: If you're hit way out there but are facing the stage, is it fastest to turn around by using the cape, or can you turn around while charging the FLUDD (ala Fox's Melee shine)?

Second, what kind of combos do you see that Mario has? Will his Up and Down Throws combo?

Top Bottom