• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Used to Suck, and I'm Getting Worse at Sucking - Chapter 1, CoT4, Fighting Rykoshet

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
Introduction
I remember playing brawl on a single-layered DVD when it came out. Never have I been so anxious to play a game. Certainly not since the last Smash Bros.

I'll be honest, I was ok at best in terms of melee skill. I had a mean doc and ganondorf. But I had never made it out of pools at any PA tourney. I was bad compared to the rest. Couldn't keep up with Fox, Falco, Shiek and the rest of the top tier material.

So brawl came along, and with it a ray of new hope. Was this the game I was looking for--a game I could take my favorite character and do well with? It was, and I couldn't be more excited. I saw people playing and having fun. Sure there were inevitable tiers and classes, but I saw people owning with Pikachu and roflstomping with the Mario Brothers.

There were so many choices, I couldn't settle on just one. I had changed mains more times than anything ever. My very first character was Lucas. I then changed to Meta Knight, then tried some Ike. But after a lot of nagging and choosing and debating playstyle...

I found the character that fit my character and my overpowering will to own. That character was Donkey Kong.

These few posts will illustrate my progress and act as sort of a diary, so that those who look to pick up the Power of Africa can get a look into my life and see what I go through in terms of counterpicks, being gayed, johns, and winning. It's almost like a personal diary--I'm not as good as a lot of you other DK mains, but this will hopefully provide some insight into how it feels to play the coolest dude in Smash Brothers.

Chapter One - Clash of the Titans 4, Philadelphia PA
Dateline: February 7th, 2009

After much planning and training, it was time to show my stuff at my first national tournament: CoT4. A lot of big-name people were coming from miles around. Inui and a bunch of his crewmates, Ally from Canada, Anther, Azen, Hylian from texas, M2K, and the list goes on. There were some 280 people and I was lost within a skillset I couldn't possibly begin to pick apart. Being a member of the Titans of Smash (a Philly and parts of NJ crew), I was helping people register. I saw eye-to-eye with the greats one by one as they shuffled in and began to play their friendlies. Matches were being screened live--I was hoping I could make a name for Donkey Kong at this clashing of greatness. How do you sift out the winners and the losers?

33 Pools. Thirty-three pools of 7 to 9 people each. I didn't get to play any friendlies that momentous day--only a few non-serious matches the night before with Xzax, Grape ****, his brother, and Truth. So you can call pre-tournament johns if you want, chances are that I wouldn't disagree with you!

After a bunch of crap with Pooled teams, which ended pretty poorly for my teammate and me, it was finally time to throw down in Singles. I think I was ranked 4th in my pool, below NikoK, if I recall correctly, who I heard had an amazing Peach. The people in my pool that mattered to play were:
Rykoshet - Who has a ridiculous Ike
NikoK - Who has a peach to be reckoned with
Meep - Super good Ice Climbers and Marth, also the Top Seed
Eli - The second seed, I believe, he had a character for every
Cake - Diddy Kong. I hate tripping.
And one other guy who never showed, so everyone in our pool got the 2-0 win.

Chapter Two- It's time to Brawl
I don't perfectly remember what order I did my matches that day. But I'll go through them one by one.

Rykoshet, Who Fights for Ike mains everywhere
A big black man, much like I was, who wanted to win. He did a good job of not being very social initially and put off a secretive demeanor, but I'm sure it was just him psyching himself up for our match. I asked him if he was an Ike user....once I found out, I wasn't too worried about winning--I had played too many Ikes to falter. We played on Battlefield? and Pokemon Stadium 1. Both matches were close, but they were my complete victories. He did much jab-cancelling. Combined with DK's huge frame and heaviness, there were many setups for comboes. Jab, jab to uptilt. Jab Jab to ftilt. His spacing was excellent. I was scared to approach. I got him on at least two occasions with a bair+sakurai combo. Wewt. I got a couple of offstage cargo tosses (not into the stage). I got fmashed like a **** noob I could tell he wasn't in his element too much, and he might have taken a game from me if he had everything together. I noticed in his previous matches that he didn't wriggle out of throws too well, so I used that to my advantage. Game Set in favor of me, 2-0. I tried to let him know that he should attempt to not get cargoed like that after out match. I felt good for winning, of course, but at the same time I felt bad simply because he wasn't playing at his top potential. I didn't speak to him very much after that, which was a shame. But I hope to play him and take the set again very soon.

Meep, the quiet and fun to be around Asian- An asian man with green highlights, known for his deadly Ice Climbers. More to come.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
;O Story! You're copying Ryko lol. I hope everyone won't start doing this... or at least make one thread for story telling.

I look forward to it

Four Leaf

Smash Journeyman
I used to suck and I still do. I watched a replay from march and I realized that the only thing I'm better at are mind games..............lame. Such a shallow game :/

Top Bottom