• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think my computer has a virus

Mezzlegasm

Smash Rookie
I've always considered myself knowledgeable with computers. I don't know any programming languages, but I'm usually able to get myself out of a jam.
Well I was kinda sleepy and i was looking for a video. I clicked on a link to youtube, and I went to youtube, but it wasn't youtube. It asked me to install active x control and I figured, "what could be different than the other times it asked me to install active x control" so I said that it could.
Well after not paying attention to the fact that I wasn't at youtube or anything and telling it to installing something on my computer I realized after it was acting funny that I screwed up.
Now I can't see my taskbar, desktop icons, or start menu. I can only start programs briefly when my computer starts up. I have divorced parents and I live with my mom mostly. I'm at my dad's using a bad computer without virus protection. Can I do anything to solve this problem on my own without having to take it and pay out of my *** for repairs?

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
The problem is probably your explorer.exe file isn't working or even running. Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and go under the 'file' tab and select run > new task and type in, simply: explorer.exe. If explorer.exe is alreaddy running, delete it and run again using above method.

This also probably is not the place to ask tech questions.

I recomend not downloading random things next time. Get a virus scanner.

Mezzlegasm

Smash Rookie
well task manager was disabled, and active x sounded trustworthy to a person who was sleepy on autopilot.

i can't really download a virus scanner right now because i dont have access to my desktop icons.

~rh

Smash Lord
On startup where i says the manufacturer's logo, there should be an option that says "F7 System Restore" or "F3 Setup". Find system restore options from there and you should be fine.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
*snicker*

I know exactly what video you were trying to get to, pervert! Haha, that old thing has achieved fame on the internet.

Trying to restart your computer might be good. Or maybe just getting rid of the virus you downloaded might be better.

-Hoggle-

Smash Journeyman
yea but isn't it expensive if you don't have any back up disks. Like having to purchase a windows disk and a reformat cd?

Mezzlegasm

Smash Rookie
yeah, I don't have backup disks, anyone care to pm me the video i was trying to look at? i wanna see if you were right

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
You can't download it or send it. It's that err... Harry Potter one? Correct?

Either that or other people are using the trick that was made famous by that video.

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
yea but isn't it expensive if you don't have any back up disks. Like having to purchase a windows disk and a reformat cd?
Who says that after you reformat it you have to reinstall windows? You could always take the red pill instead and try out a Linux distribution. My computer got so bogged down with viruses about 9 months ago that I had to reformat it, so I decided to give Linux a shot. It's not for everyone, and it's definitely not a "replacement" for Windows. It's a completely different operating system. Plus, most distros are free. I highly suggest Ubuntu, it's what I use, and I love it. You can download a file here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download and then burn it to a CD.

That CD will then act as a live CD, where you can run the operating system off of it, instead of the computer's hard drive, or install it and overwrite Windows. Try running it from the CD first to make sure it works with your hardware, because there are some compatibility issues with some hardware. It'll be slower that way, but you wouldn't want to reformat your hard drive before being sure it'll work afterwards.

Or you could take the blue pill and reformat with a Windows install disk. Your choice. It's your computer.

-Hoggle-

Smash Journeyman
Who says that after you reformat it you have to reinstall windows? You could always take the red pill instead and try out a Linux distribution. My computer got so bogged down with viruses about 9 months ago that I had to reformat it, so I decided to give Linux a shot. It's not for everyone, and it's definitely not a "replacement" for Windows. It's a completely different operating system. Plus, most distros are free. I highly suggest Ubuntu, it's what I use, and I love it. You can download a file here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download and then burn it to a CD.

That CD will then act as a live CD, where you can run the operating system off of it, instead of the computer's hard drive, or install it and overwrite Windows. Try running it from the CD first to make sure it works with your hardware, because there are some compatibility issues with some hardware. It'll be slower that way, but you wouldn't want to reformat your hard drive before being sure it'll work afterwards.

Or you could take the blue pill and reformat with a Windows install disk. Your choice. It's your computer.
So let me get this straight:
1) i download the file from the link
2) burn it to a cd
3) run the cd and have it be my new format for my computer

only question how would i go about reformatting my computer currently (I have windows xp) so that i can do steps 1-3?

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
Next time use AVG and Ad-Aware. Great, free virus/spyware protection.

And don't forget, a little common sense is always the best virus protection :)

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
So let me get this straight:
1) i download the file from the link
2) burn it to a cd
3) run the cd and have it be my new format for my computer

only question how would i go about reformatting my computer currently (I have windows xp) so that i can do steps 1-3?
Don't worry about reformatting it. That happens as part of the install. And you can run Ubuntu off the CD without reformatting and without harming your computer. But seriously, try it out first. Because it's a different world than windows. No more Word, AIM, or iTunes. You have OpenOffice, Pidgin Instant Messenger, and Rhythmbox instead.

-Hoggle-

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry about reformatting it. That happens as part of the install. And you can run Ubuntu off the CD without reformatting and without harming your computer. But seriously, try it out first. Because it's a different world than windows. No more Word, AIM, or iTunes. You have OpenOffice, Pidgin Instant Messenger, and Rhythmbox instead.
KK i get it now, I'll try it out with the cd and see how i like it.

Thank you a bunch ~Hoggle

Top Bottom