• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think it's a tad odd...

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
That Bowser Jr.'s alts are all of the other Koopalings, effectively, he has the most alternate costumes out of any other character. It seems like a wasted opportunity for characters like Link or Toon Link, they had a few good choices, or Bowser (Dry Bowser), Ike (Path of Radiance outfit), Ness (Lucas), so on, so forth. I think every character should've at least gotten one alternate costume.

Thoughts?

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I agree. I think this concept could have been spread out to more characters besides Bowser Jr., and Olimar. I guess they just ran out of development time.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
You're not wrong. I think it's a really cool feature to actually have alts for a change rather than just different skins even if it is really only being used for a few characters out of the roster. I could definitely have seen them go more in depth with Ness/Lucas alts for example, and it's a shame they didn't. Some of the characters that did actually get in with their own slot should have been alts themselves, imo; but oh well.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
They can't give tons of different alts to most characters in the roster in 2 years of development of two considerably different games. I have a strong feeling that they might release more "different character" and outfit alts as DLC later down the road, though. Stuff like Young Link as Toon Link's alt, Proto Man as Mega's alt, etc.

Bowser Jr/Koopaling fans are just really lucky.

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
While more alt costumes for other characters would have been nice, the fact that Sakurai and his development team spent so much time on the Koopalings had a much larger payoff than puting the effort into other characters. The Koopalings ar fairly popular characters who have gotten a lot of play lately, thanks to MK8 and NSMB.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
It's pretty cool, but I can understand not prioritizing alternate character costumes for sure. Maybe SSB5. At least there's more actual costume changes this time around, it's not just Wario anymore.

Gea

Smash Master
That Bowser Jr.'s alts are all of the other Koopalings, effectively, he has the most alternate costumes out of any other character. It seems like a wasted opportunity for characters like Link or Toon Link, they had a few good choices, or Bowser (Dry Bowser), Ike (Path of Radiance outfit), Ness (Lucas), so on, so forth. I think every character should've at least gotten one alternate costume.

Thoughts?
Just try to remember that plenty of characters get special things. Look at Kirby and all of his hats. That's a LOT of work put into one character. He has the largest moveset of anyone in the game by orders of magnitude. Mac gets a mechanic unique enough that he has a visual meter on the UI. Samus gets a "smash" special attack.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
agreed, i know people like the Koopalings, but i would of rather had them work on alts for other characters, then ''waste'' all that time working on the 3d models and voices for the Koopalings and alph

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
They can't give tons of different alts to most characters in the roster in 2 years of development of two considerably different games. I have a strong feeling that they might release more "different character" and outfit alts as DLC later down the road, though. Stuff like Young Link as Toon Link's alt, Proto Man as Mega's alt, etc.

Bowser Jr/Koopaling fans are just really lucky.
Yeah I agree with this. I think it's pretty awesome we got all the Koopalings though (mainly because this time they're not half the roster :mad: mk8 :mad: )

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
agreed, i know people like the Koopalings, but i would of rather had them work on alts for other characters, then ''waste'' all that time working on the 3d models and voices for the Koopalings and alph
They reused the assets from Mario Kart 8, so they really didn't waste time working on anything.

Bralef

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I'd have expected them to call the character slot something generic like "Koopaling." I really like that they went to the effort of referring to each character by name.

Sure, it'd be great to have other variations of characters, but who's to say they won't become available later?

Bralef

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I don't think the Koopalings required very many resources whatsoever. I mean, sure, they took more effort than just adding recolors of Bowser Jr., but they use the exact same animations across the board. I don't think they take up significantly more space than seven recolors would.

Also, I'm not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm pretty sure "wasting code" isn't a thing.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
The thing with the koopalings is that you either add them all or add none of them.

Majora999

Smash Cadet
NNID
Majora999
Alph doesn't have a voice, and The Koopalings' voices are recycled from NSMB.

Also: "I don't like these alts, they were a waste of time, they should've made alts for the characters I like."

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Also: "I don't like these alts, they were a waste of time, they should've made alts for the characters I like."
No, it's more like:

"They should not have made tons of alts for ONE character, and actually made alts for other characters".

It's a wasted opportunity and horribly inconsistent how costumes were handled.

And some are so simply or no-brainers. Like Samus's suits from MP2 or Fusion. Or Link actually getting real Skyloft clothes (and no hat) or something.

Tons of characters deserved to have real costumes. It seems silly.

Bowser Jr. & Little Mac got special treatment (even though Mac's wireframes are just transparent recolors/copies of the normal costumes) and it just feels unfair and out of place.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Thoughts?
If the koopalings didn't make it with Bowser Jr

I would have the same opinion of Bowser Jr as I always do

a negative one

But because they are, I'm having Lemmy as one of my mains

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
...are people seriously complaining about this?

It was a last minute treat for us. If you don't care for what sakurai gave us then don't use them? They probably just had the materials readily available and thought "hey this would be a cool cameo to do" So they did. Taking Link's hat off would change his hurt box slightly...so I can kind of understand why they didn't do that.

It could be used more so in the future anyway, sakurai did say he'd consider dlc, and who knows? Maybe he'll throw a few freebie alts our way.

But complaining that we got alt costumes when it's a feature we've never gotten in smash before is silly. Appreciate the fact that they gave us what they did, don't complain about it or they may not bother doing such things again.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Hold on.
Link's hat is part of his hitbox? Weird.

But no, that's not even an alternate costume. It's a recolor. I'm sorry if me finding that distasteful is stupid or selfish, but I do.

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Hold on.
Link's hat is part of his hitbox? Weird.

But no, that's not even an alternate costume. It's a recolor. I'm sorry if me finding that distasteful is stupid or selfish, but I do.
I am not for sure on that, but it would change his height slightly...so? Idk it was just an assumption.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

It was a last minute treat for us. If you don't care for what sakurai gave us then don't use them? They probably just had the materials readily available and thought "hey this would be a cool cameo to do" So they did. Taking Link's hat off would change his hurt box slightly...so I can kind of understand why they didn't do that.

It could be used more so in the future anyway, sakurai did say he'd consider dlc, and who knows? Maybe he'll throw a few freebie alts our way.

But complaining that we got alt costumes when it's a feature we've never gotten in smash before is silly. Appreciate the fact that they gave us what they did, don't complain about it or they may not bother doing such things again.
I do feel like it was more like icing what we got- it was never a big part of what they were trying to do. Mostly newcomers got alts because they were either from customizeable of avatar type games or because they are representing more than just themselves (Bowser Jr and the clown car.) Next time around I see it being a bigger deal and a selling point, but this is still better than being just Wario in Brawl with Pikachu/Jigs only having a handful of costumes.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I do feel like it was more like icing what we got- it was never a big part of what they were trying to do. Mostly newcomers got alts because they were either from customizeable of avatar type games or because they are representing more than just themselves (Bowser Jr and the clown car.) Next time around I see it being a bigger deal and a selling point, but this is still better than being just Wario in Brawl with Pikachu/Jigs only having a handful of costumes.
Exactly. They're still testing the waters. Last time it was just Wario. Now they're doing Olimar, Villager, Robin, The ENTIRE Koopa Family, Wii Fit Trainers, Little Mac, Lucina, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario. Whoops. How did those get in there? *Innocent whistling.*

We still would like everyone to have some alts going on, but this is still a huge step in the right direction.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'd rather them do alt costumes right for three characters, then do them half baked for eight.
At least if a few are done in detail, it shows they are going to take the time to make the effort count, and that later efforts may be made for the others.

Yet in this case, I find the argument futile in general. I don't think Bowser Jr would even have had a roster spot if he was on the spot by himself I think the roster space is really for 'Koopa Kid' and that the main one is Jr, with all the other alts being just as much in focus. They each share the same role, and the realfighter is the clown car. The part of the series in Mario that it represents has to do with all the kids, and some of those games are ones that Jr was not even in.

I believe Sakurai struggled to add a highly requested character,JR, but did not want to give him an absolutely horrid move set (the paintbrush, from an already outdated game which would force JR to be a mixed dual clone). Instead, the character sot represents a huge assortment of Mario! It has the classic (well, older) games, bu having the Koopa kids, who also conversely represent a new era. It has JR who represents the in between time. Then it has the Clown Car, which is another Mario villain and a new part of the series represented, and it really shows of the goofy platform elements of the series in a way nothing else could.

Also, As for the work put into programming and voices (someone else can speak on the programming) but the voice work, as a voice over artist, I can assure you, unless there is some insane mode I cannot FATHOM (and I can fathom a lot) in Wii U, I will comment on. Each voice over artist was probably there for half a day, paid for a full, and only used for an hour (per voice) tops. Majority of the extra time would have been 'if something goes wrong' and the waiting game. The amount of sounds the characters make is excessively minimal, and very easy to replicate once in an actors repertoire.

Last edited:

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I am not for sure on that, but it would change his height slightly...so? Idk it was just an assumption.
I love the Koopalings and am happy about their inclusion, but I mainly just wanted to point out that Pikachu has optional hats that change his height.

Majora999

Smash Cadet
NNID
Majora999
Also, As for the work put into programming and voices (someone else can speak on the programming) but the voice work, as a voice over artist, I can assure you, unless there is some insane mode I cannot FATHOM (and I can fathom a lot) in Wii U, I will comment on. Each voice over artist was probably there for half a day, paid for a full, and only used for an hour (per voice) tops. Majority of the extra time would have been 'if something goes wrong' and the waiting game. The amount of sounds the characters make is excessively minimal, and very easy to replicate once in an actors repertoire.
The Koopalings' voices are recycled from NSMBW, except for Larry and Ludwig, who're recycled from Mario Kart 8.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The Koopalings' voices are recycled from NSMBW, except for Larry and Ludwig, who're recycled from Mario Kart 8.
Oh. Even less time. Why weren't they all from the same recycled material?

SPP Kirby

Smash Apprentice

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120

They could just do what they did with Marth and Lucina, make a new character "Hatless Link"

Top Bottom