• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think I may pick up the claw any way it can help the ice climbers?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I,m going to start trying the claw vs people who suck and I want to get into smash by this I,m gettting better and so are they(I suck at sandbagging at will). But how could the right claw help an ice climber player? I think chage smash with nana wall bair with popo or quickly wd out for a sneaky grab But yeah felt this should be a topic.

j3ly

Smash Champion
The claw essentially allows you to press the c-stick with the same speed that doing it with the control stick allows. The principle behind it is that for some chars - especially falcon w/uair, (mario too, but.. just no) u cannot hit a standing enemy with a FH uair (without insanely fast hands) because it takes too long for your thumb to get to the c-stick. Some (like me) resort to using the control stick, but there is a risk of doing ur 2nd jump during the uair, which can lead to death/droppage of combo. The solution, stick your 2nd finger on the jump button, thumb on the c-stick.

If your WDing is hype, the claw makes it alot more difficult, but not impossible. You will have to learn how to SH again, lol, but its not as hard this time. Mainly, it just means that you can press the aerial button of your choice alot faster than if you were to move your thumb from jump -> cstick. I would like to learn the claw, but i substituted in using the control stick instead. Many people use the c-stick with marios uair blinds, its so much slower its kind of funy. If i could claw the blind it would be the same speed as me doing it with the control stick, and faster then people using the c-stick

for a rough comparison of the timing, Brown Mario vs Submaburu (?), or something like that. At the end, Brown Mario pulls off an uair blind, which looks super sexy, and super fast. Now look at eggz combo video, notice the difference of about 4/5 frames (maybe less i don't know) in their uairs. There are always going to be people saying "oh, yeah, no way i use the c-stick and its just as fast as the control stick," but for the majority that is not the case. Be accurate with the control stick or resort to the claw, its a personal choice. Imo the claw is safer, and may even allow you an extra frame of speed, maybe even 2.

lol i always do this when i write **** down, i just convinced myself into learning claw :p

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I don't think the claw grip helps ICs significantly. It probably makes autocanceled uairs easier, but that's the only advantage I can think of.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
This made me remember now I could do double upairs easily. But besides wding is that the only real disadvance I could adapt.

Eggz

Smash Hero
The claw essentially allows you to press the c-stick with the same speed that doing it with the control stick allows. The principle behind it is that for some chars - especially falcon w/uair, (mario too, but.. just no) u cannot hit a standing enemy with a FH uair (without insanely fast hands) because it takes too long for your thumb to get to the c-stick. Some (like me) resort to using the control stick, but there is a risk of doing ur 2nd jump during the uair, which can lead to death/droppage of combo. The solution, stick your 2nd finger on the jump button, thumb on the c-stick.

If your WDing is hype, the claw makes it alot more difficult, but not impossible. You will have to learn how to SH again, lol, but its not as hard this time. Mainly, it just means that you can press the aerial button of your choice alot faster than if you were to move your thumb from jump -> cstick. I would like to learn the claw, but i substituted in using the control stick instead. Many people use the c-stick with marios uair blinds, its so much slower its kind of funy. If i could claw the blind it would be the same speed as me doing it with the control stick, and faster then people using the c-stick

for a rough comparison of the timing, Brown Mario vs Submaburu (?), or something like that. At the end, Brown Mario pulls off an uair blind, which looks super sexy, and super fast. Now look at eggz combo video, notice the difference of about 4/5 frames (maybe less i don't know) in their uairs. There are always going to be people saying "oh, yeah, no way i use the c-stick and its just as fast as the control stick," but for the majority that is not the case. Be accurate with the control stick or resort to the claw, its a personal choice. Imo the claw is safer, and may even allow you an extra frame of speed, maybe even 2.

lol i always do this when i write **** down, i just convinced myself into learning claw :p
>________________> wat

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
use your left hand to hold which way you plan to tilt and press press the A button with your thumb or index finger I could be wrong and know nothing

j3ly

Smash Champion
Am i wrong in saying you use the c-stick for uair combos eggz?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL_BxpjmBXc
1:54
This is brown mario, at that time he does a 3 hit uair combo. Im pretty sure he uses control stick here cos its about 3/4 frames faster, and how he looses every bit of his momentum when fast falling. Given its a hell of alot harder to use control stick if u have momentum behind you and want to keep 100% horizontal movement but its the difference between being able to get an actual uair -> utilt combo on a 35% marth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c2Xd4YAvKU
2:38
You doing the same shiz just with momentum, and i believe c-stick.

By doing the claw (at least what i think anyway) its enables you to flick the c-stick with the same speed as you would the control stick. Nobody is gonna care cos its only 2/3 frames, but it makes a big difference for me :D (claw is... long ill stick to control stick) .. my brain hurt while trying to learn uair actual combo from shield and keeping momentum. Some will say pointless, but once muscle memory is down it makes no difference the effort it took to get the tiny difference.

Eggz please help the biggest flaw in my mario, (i hope u check this thread again >.>) what the flip other options does a mario have, when in the sky above an enemy, apart from DJ and then dair when comming down!? People know that im good.. people also know its really really easy to steal my 2nd jump and this is something im having massive trouble trying to mix up. Like when escape to a platform isnt available, chances are against falcon or Gdorf or something my 2nd jump will be stolen every time. Gddammit

Sum1 is gonna say yo, take this to the mario forum please, but technically its relevant to the first question (part from last paragraph)

j3ly

Smash Champion
i just re-read that, and it didnt mean to sound condescending btw, you have been playing alot longer+better than me i just type that way sometimes

Eggz

Smash Hero
in my old videos i use the control stick
i use the cstick now for mario uairs, but definitely not in anything i have recorded
also just switch up your falls
dont come down with a dair every time
you need to keep your dair unpredictable
so dont even let the opponent know you have that option until you need it for sure

instead of dairing, just bait them into attacking you because they think you dont have a jump, then maneuver around or something. alternatively, dont bait them at all and just become grounded. mario's worst position is his bottom, especially if you cant dair anymore.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I,m going to start trying the claw vs people who suck and I want to get into smash by this I,m gettting better and so are they(I suck at sandbagging at will). But how could the right claw help an ice climber player? I think chage smash with nana wall bair with popo or quickly wd out for a sneaky grab But yeah felt this should be a topic.
Would you use apostrophes instead of commas? It's really fucking irritating.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Cause It messes with the world and the world can't mess with me because I mess with me i,vemade me freak out and flip chairs before.

j3ly

Smash Champion
IRL...

MINDGAMES!!

i,ve grown accustomed to your dyslexic ways of keyboard management. I also love how the 2nd half of your comments tend to have nothing relevant in them to the first half
i too have thrown chairs out of brain stresses
and computer mice (they are the best)

ty eggz i think its time to start reacting with my jump nd dair instead of trying to predict and panicing

Top Bottom