• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think I have a problem, and I need help

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I play games like, Mario Party, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, or really any other competitive party game... I find myself left with mixed feelings, when I’m winning, I feel good! And I’m having fun, but when those around me start getting frustrated... it makes me tense, and then it’s much less enjoyable, and when I’m losing, I find that I can’t have fun, because if I try to mellow out and not focus to much on winning, I notice myself, just, kind of, waiting for the game to be over, but if I do everything in my power to win, I just... can’t focus on anything else, and when people are beating me, and they say something totally harmless like, “Ooh, Got you with that Side Special!” (Just as a totally random example) I just can’t help but feel like it’s a hostile comment, like it’s meant to make me feel bad, even tho I know it’s not... And when someone who beats me regularly ask me to play, I find that I just can’t bring myself to WANT to play with them, like the game has already been decided, and it will all just end in disappointment... what should I do? I love all of these games... and there are only going to be MORE good, possibly even BETTER ones In the future (Can i get a hype for Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled!?!?!), I really want to be able to enjoy these games as much as everyone around me seems to, any and all help is appreciated.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
Well, you should never be losing intentionally. If your friends get frustrated it’s their fault.

Playing against better people is the beat way to improve in my opinion.

Hogg

Smash Rookie
Try not to focus too much on getting beat as a negative, rather try and think of it as a lesson, or try to say "right ive been beat, what could i have done differently to achieve a better result" once you identify what those things are you can focus on inproving them, and hopefully improving your game.

Maybe focusing on those things and improving, might curb the rage, and will help you to continue enjoying the game, giving you a goal to get better, rather than not enjoying it purely because you have been beat.

I get beat all the time, everyone does, in all aspects of life. Its how you deal with those defeats and improve yourself which make you better.

After getting knocked down, winners get back up ma man. As arnie would say. (excluding the last 2 words).

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
Try not to focus too much on getting beat as a negative, rather try and think of it as a lesson, or try to say "right ive been beat, what could i have done differently to achieve a better result" once you identify what those things are you can focus on inproving them, and hopefully improving your game.

Maybe focusing on those things and improving, might curb the rage, and will help you to continue enjoying the game, giving you a goal to get better, rather than not enjoying it purely because you have been beat.

I get beat all the time, everyone does, in all aspects of life. Its how you deal with those defeats and improve yourself which make you better.

After getting knocked down, winners get back up ma man. As arnie would say. (excluding the last 2 words).
Who’s Arnie?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Alright outright I can tell you’re focusing way too much on other people. It doesn’t matter if other people are frustrated if you’re losing if you’re having fun, somebody has to lose

This isn’t just a video game problem this will effect you in other areas of your life. Take harmless comments for what they are, harmless comments.
My friends and I do it all the time when we’re playing Smash

Sometimes I’ll hit a friend with something and I’ll be like “should’ve rolled” and they’ll come right back next time I’m in a bad situation with something like “shouldn’t have died” (the back and forth sounds stupid written lol) but we just **** talk for fun. It’s part of the game. Don’t take the game too seriously and more importantly don’t let other people’s comments get inside your head and worry about yourself and how you feel not how they feel. You can’t ruminate over things like this it’ll drive you insane

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If you know you want to enjoy the game, do what you can towards that, and allow time for it to change. It took quite a while for me to feel better around people and the competitive elements. I was frustrated with it too and when i accepted that it can take some time to chill and enjoy the overall thing, then slowly but surely I got less upset about losing, didn't take people's comments as hard, and focused more on enjoying my own playing including doing my best to overcome the opponent, like a challenge to try.

I still have some things I have trouble with, but I'll keep doing what I can, and sometimes I just accept that I'm not in the best mood and just do what i can and aim for better next time. or just take a break to enjoy something else instead and change my thoughts or whatever.

Top Bottom