• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think I get worse during a match...

Yokipi

Smash Cadet
When I'm playing someone in a 3-stock match, I usually get the first kill, and do extremely well at the start, but by the end I've lost. This seems to happen very very often for me, and I don't know whether the problem is psychological or what. I need a way to fix this, or I'll never win a match. :ohwell: Has anyone else had this problem before and knows what I should do? By the way, I usually use Marth or Olimar.

Thanks.

StealthFighterX

Smash Journeyman
Just gotta calm down and stay focused. Do what you did for that first kill 2 more times. Dont get sloppy during the match or you lose your lead. I dont play olimar or seen you play but try and keep constant pressure on your opponents.

Rufeo

Smash Cadet
Maybe your being predictable and your opponent is catching on to your game. Try mixing things up and see what happens.

jonfled

Smash Cadet
Maybe your being predictable and your opponent is catching on to your game. Try mixing things up and see what happens.
Spot on.

Your opponent has learned your patterns and abuses your approaches (this is of course referring to matches you play with new people you've not played with before). Or, you are playing the same person over and over, and you start a new way of playing that match but do not follow it up with any versatility.

Frey

Smash Journeyman
You probably underestimate them after the first kill. You never go easy on anyone... You treat them all like they are godly pros and give them your best game, because if you dont, you could get bitten in the *** for lowering your guard.

RedTone

Smash Cadet
You are not getting worse.. well I don't think
I've had the same thing happen to me and vice-versa
I think it's not that you are getting worse.. it's your opponent getting better
after playing and killing off your opponent's first stock.. your brain thinks:
"Yess, the way I am playing is superior I shall not change it"
in this way your playing style becomes "locked" and you will have no "reason" to change it since you are winning

Your opponent on the other hand becomes more alert and focused causing him to find a way to even the score and will seize the opportunities that come to him in order to even that score, since playing the way he was awhile ago would just result in losing

Supax

Smash Apprentice
someone beat me to this... I was going to quote the kid that said do what you did for the first 2 stocks and tell you that it would be predictable...

So basically yeah change things up and don't be so predictable.. That is the only way you will get worse.

As many have said already, it could very easily be that you're being predictable, playing in patterns.

It could also be psychological on many fronts. You could be easing up because you are winning, and don't feel an edge. Conversely, your opponent feels from the first death that they really MUST make up that stock, and are on edge the whole time.

Never be stale, never give up, and never underestimate.

Corigames

Smash Hero
It could be a variation of things, most of which has already been said, but I'll go with fatige. If you plau seriously, you may notice an adrenaline rush at the start of the match. By the last stock, you could be crashing from that initial burst. This could cause you to make mistakes or make moves that aren't as good as others. Plus, it may also make your hands/controller sweaty.

Try staying calm throughout the whole match. Remember that the game is digital, not mechanical, so slamming buttons and yelling doesn't change what's on screen.

Lastly, have love for the game.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Maybe its because the people you play with suck.
Yes, NOW we get it, he lost many matches after the first stock because his opponents sucked, and it's common knowledge that when your opponents suck, you are doomed...
Especially when they CAN'T make combo's, that's the point where you may want to watch for your life, because experience tells us that people who can't perform combo's rule...
But if you have friends that suck AND selfdestruct, THEN you really are the most unfortunate person we've ever met...Because it is feared throughout the community...it is feared...selfdestruct results in numerous KO's and pwnages for the selfdestructor, when you fight one, just stand still and let them be, don't let them fool you...
Yes, yes, sucky friends suck, they suck so hard you suck even more...

*ahum*...

Also, if you mean something else (more sexual), then you suck...

Gill

Smash Journeyman
Like everyone else has said, I don't think you get worse, its that you don't get any better.

The two characters you use, Olimar and Marth, I haven't fought many people who change their game up with those two characters, cause doing the same things over and over prove effective.

MattTheGameFreak

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... I'm just going to add a bit to this from my experience based from the original up to Brawl, which would be the possibility of mind weariness. Based on what I have seen and experienced, Smash Bros. requires your full attention and thought, it is a game of chess, a very fast one at that with little to no break times. Therefore, as you continue, your mind decides to stop running the treadmill and takes a nap. Therefore in which this could also be combined with previously mentioned suggestions such as overconfidence and/or predictability.

I've also found that I play best a little after I wake up, after I take a shower, and eat a bit with motivation. However, I also tend to play good late at night, when I'm in that 'owl-eyed' state mode that many of us know all too well, I think...

Hope that helps.

P.S. -Never make a move without purpose. 0.0

Dante X

Smash Apprentice
Keep going at it, never let your opponent get too comfortable. It might just be overconfidence or something after that first ko that kills you.

Yokipi

Smash Cadet
Thanks everyone. I'll try what you have said, and keep focused and vary my style a little bit. I hope I can improve.

blooagga

Smash Journeyman
weird I find this to be my pattern:
1. play ok, usually worse than the opponent
2. own them for a while
3. start losing
4. better player wins

Top Bottom