• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think I discovered a thing (Egg Roll Dropping)

pugwishbone17

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pugwishbone
Hey guys, you like Egg Roll? Of course you do, you're Yoshi players. Well I've got something for you, which I call Pug's Secret Momentum Reverse Egg Roll Platform Drop Mixup. I'll just call it Egg Roll Dropping for short.

Take a look at this:

On the left, you'll notice what happens when Yoshi rolls off a platform regularly, he flies at a downward angle that can't be controlled at all. Look how easy that must be to punish. So sad.

What's happening on the right you ask? Well that's the egg roll dropping. Look how that totally not training mode Lucas couldn't even react to that. It's that surprising.

"How do I perform such an amazing technique?" you must be asking. Simple. Egg roll off a platform, but before you actually roll off, press the opposite direction. The idea is to make yoshi fall off the platform in the middle of his turning around animation. This of course means you cannot carry the direction you were originally going once you touch the ground again. So sad. Here's the thing though. The window for pulling this off is tiny. As in, it's probably a 1 or 2 frame window. Too early and you turn around on the platform you're on, too late and you fly off the edge like on the left of that gif.

"Any practical uses tho?"
Idunno. Maybe. Probably. Like I said, when you roll off a platform regularly, you move in a predictable, uncontrollable arc back to the ground. With this, you have one more option for mixing it up. Once someone sees you rolling off, they'll attack the area you're going to be and intercept your rolling egg. If you egg roll drop, then you can immediately pop out of your egg afterwards and smack them while they look silly charging a smash attack to where they thought you would be. Also if they're under the platform you're standing on and trying to mash up tilt or shffl up airs to hit you, just egg roll drop and you'll automatically change direction and hit them.

Also you can do some flashy platform moving cuz why not:

And this is the part where you tell me how useless this tech is.

Pickledpotatoes

Smash Journeyman
I've done this before. I was gonna make a thread about it, but I thought it was kind of pointless. Also lazy.

I guess it's a pretty good mix up? It's a little tricky to pull off, so I guess it has it's risks.

pugwishbone17

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pugwishbone
yeah I've done it quite a few times on accident, but only today felt like sitting down and seeing what causes it.

pugwishbone17

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pugwishbone

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
this post is far more organized than my original one. regardless, you gotta do research before you post man.

pugwishbone17

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pugwishbone
this post is far more organized than my original one. regardless, you gotta do research before you post man.
I saw your thread when you originally posted it and just thought it was about instantly changing direction upon landing an aerial egg roll, so I haven't looked at it since lol. That diagram you had looked to me like it meant egg roll off the platform, break out, egg roll the other way, and then instantly change back direction when you hit the ground. Oh well still my fault for not reading it entirely lol

Top Bottom