• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I suck with squirtle

GhosTim14

Smash Cadet
I'm great with ivysaur and charizard, but when it comes to squirtle I suck.

Please post tips on how to play as squirtle.

I'm not being specific I know, anything will help.

schof

Smash Rookie
If you browse this particular board you will find about 50 posts involving the shellshifting/hydroplaning. This alone is a serious skill to perfect, and will have a intense effect on your squirtle playing. I know personally that they took squirtle from my worst pokemon to my best. The other obvious tips are keep the pressure on your opponent with SH fair and dair. Squirtle has a nice horizontal air speed and you should be able to pressure your opponents just with this. There are some nice videos floating around, watch their squirtles for approaching and edgecamping, but these are all the obvious things that you can learn just from looking at these pages.

Starizzle

Smash Apprentice
really?! im good with squirtle but aweful with charizard, though i prefer fast characters

Binx

Smash Master
Just use fair until they are at like 75% then use bair until they are at 150% to reset fairs str, then fair them one time for the kill. It really is that simple.

The Pimp

Smash Cadet
try to focus on airials squirtle's air game is one of the best. Also learn hydroplaning & shellshifting.

TomSquirrel-Lord

Smash Cadet
Same, I suck as squirtle. I just love charizard too much, his F-Smash is just to satisfying when it hits people over 100% :)

The Pimp

Smash Cadet
Try to avoid using fsmash (atleast I do). The lagtime on it is long and leaves you vulnerable. I prefer grabbing or jab combo'ing them into the air then just doing a psudo wall-of-pain with aerials instead. Something else I do (but could be risky after people get good at jumping on top of you) is that if your trapped in a corner and have enough room to pop out of your shell without falling off the map withdrawl works well (side-b). It annoys my friends because it helps me get back onto the map and your invulnerable while in the shell. Just have to watch out if they smash you, causing you to accelerate off the map.

Also keep water gun charged if you can. It's funny and can be used to force them to jump if you use it to push them off the map, leaving them more open to a barrage of aerials. Also it can gimp most recoveries if done properly.

Yumil

Smash Cadet
Couple of quick strats.

Side tilt->jabs should be some of your most used attacks on the ground. Side tilt perfectly combos into jabs which gives you some nice damage.

UTilt gives you the perfect tool for taking it to the air. Depending on how much you use it and your opponents percent you can easily get two utilts before they are thrown high enough out of its range.

Get used to the halfway mark on Withdrawal. DONT use it all the time, but if you can space a hit, you can surprise your opponent by withdrawl->stop right under or by them->utilt->whatever. Withdrawal can play some nice mind games if you can space it right, just do not use it to often as becoming predictable with it is entirely punishable.

SHing NAirs should become one of your bread and butter ariels. Unlike fair, Nair isnt one of your kill moves and is pretty decent as an attack. SHing and almost instantly nairing will give you no lag when you land. NAirs are a fun damage dealer:) You can do the same thing with DAir and it can launch, so its ok if you get used to DAirs to use that in the same way.

FAir should saved for kills if you can. So, to save it, you should mixup your nairs with RARed BAirs(running and hitting back just before you jump so you jump facing the other way). If you are way up in the air and you opponent is in your front, use nair, not fair. For one, you dont want the launch back if you are still trying to damage then, for two, you want fair to keep its knock back if you want to kill easily at higher percents.

DO NOT DASH GRAB IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT YOU'LL LAND IT. Grabs are great, and DThrow can help kill, but squirtle has amazing lag when he wiffs a dash grab.

Learn how to climb the waterfall. It's slight, but knowing how to control that can help recovery and can help you get hits with that last hit of waterfall that launches. It can also help you land all the hits of waterfall when you use it. It's in your best interest to learn how to control it instead of letting it do the same thing everytime.

Shellshifting is a must to "Master" squirtle as he is now. It gives you your easiest spacing technique. Get used to stalling and dashing out of it. After you got the spacing games down, start getting used to hydroplaning and its derivatives. Hydroplaned USmashes and FSmashes can be used as kill moves and gain a lot of utility from the slide. USmashes are the easiest to pull off and land, so you'll see a lot of squirtle players use it. Hydroplaned DSmashes will equate to some good damage if pulled off right. Also, get used to tilts out of the shellshift, as sliding utilts and ftilts will allow you to combo more. All in all, this is the most advanced aspect of squirtle and should only be learned once you get the basics down.

Few more notes. Fatigue really only effects Squirtles kill chances. If you save his fair or his usmash you can still kill during fatigue. Squirtle shines at racking up damage with tons of small hits and fatigue just helps with that as it drops knockback a little. His combo ability increases, so switching out of squirtle just because hes fatigued isnt always the smartest thing to do. It is smart to switch due to damage though as he is a lightweight:O

Top Bottom