• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I started playing people on netplay but I realize that I'm autopiloting

Sprenzy

Smash Apprentice
so I played some really good people, the ones that doesn't drop easy combos and stuff but I realize that I'm not keeping track of my opponent's habits and I'm just making the same mistake over and over again. I'm playing a more feeling/reaction based rather than reading and etc. I tend to be single track minded so If I think of something like oh I haven't used uptilt yet then I put most of my concentration on that rather than playing the neutral game, I love grabbing so I spam grab like 5 times in a row which looks ridiculous. I do a lot of raw forward smashes in hopes to at least hit the opponent. I stay in shield wayy to often.
and my reaction is just not good, I mean I can uptilt with marth a falco's dash dair and actually combo him (or 0 to death) right?

anyways, these are the problems I've had with playing opponents using net play, I'll try to record some matches in the future
you guys think you can help me on my problem? what can I do?

Cressel

Smash Rookie
The fact that you realize you autopilot is good in itself, you just gotta start focusing on not autopiloting first, just be aware. I personally still struggle at times, some reaction based inputs like quick techs I tend to be repetitive, I'm still working on that.

Recording matches helps a lot to see bad habits too, so do that even if it's just for yourself, and take note in what you notice to do the most, everytime you do it again it will be a reminder. Just keep calm and keep all your focus on your opponent and you should naturally start thinking on how to punish him instead of just doing actions you want for reward too(Like grabs). It's hard and maybe will feel like slow progress but since you're aware of it you'll fix it.

Ezlo

Smash Cadet
I've found that the best way to not autopilot is to find something specific to focus on improving beforehand. It WILL make your play worse, but focusing on one thing that you need to work on helps you to stop playing the way you would automatically.

A pretty simple example is if you realize you don't FC Nair out of shield, ever (since you're a peach main. Other things you might focus on would be mixing up your parasol recovery with fastfalls, mixing up grabs and dash attacks, etc). Every time you're in shield, then, focus on finding an opening where you can FC nair. Eventually, finding good FC Nair timings will be automatic, and you won't focus on that anymore -- you'll have to start focusing on something else.

I hope that helps!

Sprenzy

Smash Apprentice
I've found that the best way to not autopilot is to find something specific to focus on improving beforehand. It WILL make your play worse, but focusing on one thing that you need to work on helps you to stop playing the way you would automatically.

A pretty simple example is if you realize you don't FC Nair out of shield, ever (since you're a peach main. Other things you might focus on would be mixing up your parasol recovery with fastfalls, mixing up grabs and dash attacks, etc). Every time you're in shield, then, focus on finding an opening where you can FC nair. Eventually, finding good FC Nair timings will be automatic, and you won't focus on that anymore -- you'll have to start focusing on something else.

I hope that helps!
hence being single track minded*
btw I actually main Marth, Sheik and fox LOL

Ezlo

Smash Cadet
hence being single track minded*
btw I actually main Marth, Sheik and fox LOL
As for being single track minded, it's true that when you start to do this, it ends up making you single-track minded. However, you can focus on mixing up options or focus on NOT using options that you overuse, instead, and that can help to avoid that issue. I know that it seems like you would develop tunnel vision from focusing on one specific option, but that's not necessarily the case -- it depends on what you're focusing on. If you focus on mixing up grabs and dash attacks in neutral (sorry, sticking with my peach example for the moment), that could help you step away from tunnel vision, instead of get closer to it.

Also, wups. Your Melee main thing threw me off ;-;
My thing still works, though. Just find things you want to use more, stop using, or just generally improve, and focus on them while you play.

Sprenzy

Smash Apprentice
Maybe you should just focus on one character for now it might help you improve and stop autopiolting.
well I use each characters fro specific reasons (tech skills mainly), I use marth to practice movements and timing, I use fox for speed and precision and I use sheik to practice tech chasing and edge guarding

Top Bottom