• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I started maining G&W

FernGully

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nemosinevitioest
TL;DR - I recently picked up Smash 4. I like playing with G&W. Where do I begin with this character? Are there decent guides or videos I can watch regarding how to play with him and learning combos?

Long-story - I played the original Smash as a kid and a few times with Melee. I recently (about 2 weeks ago) picked up A Wii U and Smash 4 with the intention to become a good player. As a new player, the general consensus is to play around with different characters and figure out which character I want to main. In honesty, I'm not sure I've played around that much with many characters to get a great idea. BUT, I started playing as G&W because he seemed like an easy character to play as and I liked his style.

For practice, I've mostly just played For Glory 1v1 because that's what most of the pros do, right? And, I've been getting absolutely obliterated. Perhaps I live in a region where the Smash players are strong or have been playing a lot longer than I have (I live in Japan).

Last night, I probably played about 50 matches, and I won maybe once or twice, and I felt absolutely emasculated as a player. I felt like I wanted to quit, like I was going through the 5 stages of grief with acceptance coming this morning. I felt that in most matches, I had the capability of winning, but I was making bad decisions as a player.

I found that there are basic and advanced general techniques I'm lacking or not doing enough like shielding, shield and air dodging, jumping too much, spacing, and utilizing all of G&W's moveset efficiently like judges (Forward Bs). I'm also debating if I should make my shoulder R button a jump as I've been using Y for my jump.

But anyway, what should I do? If I want to get better, how should I train? What do I need to do? Of course having fun should be the top priority, but how can I increase my odds of winning outside of the chance that people may not understand the G&W matchup?

Off-topic question: I was thinking about getting a capture card to record my matches. Would this be a good idea to improve as a player? What capture card is the best and easiest to use?

Thank you for your time and help.

Gratefully,
FernGully

FernGully

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nemosinevitioest
1. Read my guide on the site ;) http://smashboards.com/guides/liquid-crystal-dragon-style-intermediate-game-watch-guide.536/
2. Join the Skype Group to meet and fight fight decent-really good G&Ws(Like me :p)
3. Upgrade to Anthers, then maybe a local depending on the population density of your area.
Thanks for the reply.
1. I'll read your guide.
2. I'll find the Skype information and join.
3. I have registered for and signed in multiple times times to Anther's Ladder in the past week, but I haven't played with anyone from there who has had decent latency (probably because I live in Japan). And yes, I need to research more options for local Smash groups to go to.

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
Thanks for the reply.
1. I'll read your guide.
2. I'll find the Skype information and join.
3. I have registered for and signed in multiple times times to Anther's Ladder in the past week, but I haven't played with anyone from there who has had decent latency (probably because I live in Japan). And yes, I need to research more options for local Smash groups to go to.
Skype group is a thread on this forum.
Also you're a native English speaker living in Japan? Cool. How far do/would you have to go to get to tourneys?

FernGully

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nemosinevitioest
Skype group is a thread on this forum.
Also you're a native English speaker living in Japan? Cool. How far do/would you have to go to get to tourneys?
Yes, I'm a native English speaker who is working in Japan. As far tournaments are concerned, I haven't researched that much. I live in a decently populated city of about 1 million people, so it's possible that there could be a tournament every once in a while here. I'm a 2-3 hour bullet train ride to Tokyo, so if I need to get there, I can. It also seems I would need to search for tournaments using Japanese.

Top Bottom