• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I SOLVED TEH RIDDLE! (about veterans and newcomers)

Deft

Smash Cadet
OK, so I've come to the conclusion that a veteran can only be a STARTER from melee, not an unlockable. And from going off of the rest of the introduced veterans this rule must apply to 64 secret characters to, ie no captain falcon or luigi updates yet. So, is it possible he will create a third category on the characters section entitles "Secret Characters?" Or would that just be too ironic to be showing off supposedly secret characters and they won't be known until the games release? I don't know but that would be totally awesome.

Shishou

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I think any character we get revealed to us before release is going to be unlocked from the start.

Character that are not unlocked from the start will not be revealed. Thus we may not get to see confirmation on Ganondorf and Luigi, as they don't want to ruin the "surprise"

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
All character will eventually be revealed before the game comes out...in the least not too long afterward.

Anyway this isn't any big news...

But NO veteran unlockables will be in Veteran and Unlockable newcomers will be in Newcomers. Sonic and Snake are most likely unlockable anyway and they have been revealed

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Actually,

Chill pointed out that all the Veteran Characters that we haven't seen were unlockable in their original game.

And most of those characters we've already seen could be unlockable. That Sonic and Snake thing gave it away for me.

But heck, who knows.

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
I'd imagine Sonic and Snake must be unlocked, possibly Lucas (though with Lucas as a starter and Snake/Sonic secret that'd make the starting roster 20 on the nose, assuming everyone revealed thus far other than the 3rd partiers is going to be starter)

The real question is, if Sonic and Snake ARE starters as well, will Sakurai end up revealing any actual secret characters? Or have we seen the end of the character updates and we'll have to wait until the game is launched to see the secret characters?

keepaway0000

Smash Rookie
I think all veterans except for luigi, JP, C.Falcon and ness will be starter characters (I also think MAYBE MK, Pit and wario might be starters as well). I think this because sakurai is bringing back things from SSB 64, so why not make those characters unlockable again? and I wouldnt be surprised if you have to unlock them the same way (which would be awesome just to feel the same way when you played SSB 64 for the first time, and i believe sakurai would do something like that)

I know some people think that all characters so far confirmed are all "starters" (At least on the gamefaqs board) and that is just ridiculous. I think there will be the same amount of characters in melee will be starters in brawl, at least i hope because half the fun is unlocking the characters, i mean i get soooo excited when the "warning character approaching" screen comes up!

Well this is just my opinion.

mushroomedmario

Smash Cadet
i think if sakurai is going to release any unlockable characters, than
it would either be third party(so nsake and sonic could be off the starting roster)
OR the first would be ijgglypuff(cause we're all going to unlock him the second we get the game), and i have yet to see a jigglypuff update

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I think all characters revealed on the dojo (sans Snake and Sonic) are starting characters

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
I believe that all the characters we've seen so far besides Snake and Sonic are starters, and the next veterans to be announced (as starters) before near or after the japanese release are Captain Falcon, Sheik and Mr. Game and Watch. All other characters, newcomers or veterans, will be revealed after January 24th, as they are unlockables.

Mmmmm...yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice
I don't know, for some reason I just can't see turning on the game for the first time and not be able to select Snake or Sonic in the character selection screen.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think Sonic and Snake are starters for hype and sale reasons. I don't think either will be unlockable.

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
I'd put in a wager saying that Tails and Knuckles are there, too. Especially Tails. I just can't see Sonic not having a partner for SE.

EDIT: Tails will probably be unlockable, though I can't see the total number of characters rising above 30.

keepaway0000

Smash Rookie
Shadow is the only other sonic character that would be in brawl not tails. Think about it.

DK + Diddy
Mario + Wario
Bowser + Bowser Jr. (If he's in which he prolly is)
Kirby + MK

Plus it would be perfect to have a match against Sonic + Shadow Vs. Mario + Luigi!!!

keepaway0000

Smash Rookie
Give Me reasons why you people think all confirmed characters right now would be starters ???
It doesnt make sense!!!

You think just because he's announced new characters this early that they are starters???
He said it himself, he is going to announce everything about the game before it comes out!! that means he is going to announce ALL CHARACTERS.

Plus why do you think that he would announce "unlockable" characters at the end ???
He is just doing this randomly or just updating whatever he feels like! its not by ORDER!!!

Also he said snake is unlockable! Do you really think a third party character would actually be a starter character. If you do you are ********.

If you think that just cuz the demo had all those characters to play as, you think that they will all be starters then you are really stupid.

Sorry if i am harsh but im sick of people having these stupid ideas they think is true. Plus why would sakurai put like 20 something characters to play as at the start??? its just ridiculous!

Steel Braxus

Smash Cadet
Sonic and Snake will be unlockable. Everyone else confirmed already will probably be on the starting roster.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I don't see Capt. Falcon and Ness being unlockables after being upgraded to starters in Melee. It just doesn't fit.

But Jigglypuff and Luigi have to be unlockables. It's tradition!

Al Calnos

Smash Journeyman
Shadow is the only other sonic character that would be in brawl not tails. Think about it.

DK + Diddy
Mario + Wario
Kirby + MK

Plus it would be perfect to have a match against Sonic + Shadow Vs. Mario + Luigi!!!
I fail to see your logic.

Diddy is DK's nephew and "sidekick"

Wario started out as a rival/anti-Mario and got two spin-off series.

Bowser Jr. is Bowser's son and could also be viewed as a sidekick

Meta Knight has played the role of both ally and enemy. He does often help out Kirby in the games, he just works his own agenda.

So the only thing I can gather is, if we go with the Diddy and BJ examples, Tails should get in over Shadow because he's Sonic's sidekick. And are you trying to compare Shadow the Emohog to Wario and Meta Knight?

Anyways, if ANY OTHER Sonic characters get it, it should be Tails or Robotnik. I really want Knuckles personally, who was Sonic's first rival outside of Robotnik might I remind, but I don't see that happening.

Besides, Sonic supposedly has a black costume as reference to Shadow anyways, so whats the point?

Break

Smash Apprentice

DK + Diddy
Mario + Wario
Kirby + MK

You're obviously confusing rivals and partners here.

EDIT: Al Calnos beat me to it.

Plus we already know that they plan to reveal all of the characters, unlockable or not, before the game's release date. There's actually a silly quote about it by Sakurai out there somewhere but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Then again, they could always turn the tables on us and throw in a surprise.

CO

Smash Ace
NNID
CO_Runaway7
3DS FC
3136-6583-7782
I am pretty sure all the characters will be known before the release. I think thats how it worked with Melee. I remember, before getting the game, knowing how to unlock all the characters. That is why I don't refer to them as "Secret Characters" because everyone knows about them, they are just "unlockable."

veil222

Smash Journeyman
shadow/tails/knuckles=not in. They're NOT going to give another 3rd party slot to a series that is ALREADY REPRESENTED.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
I think he's gunna reveal everyone...he said that since thru the internet any piece of info can be leaked...he wants to be the cause of the leak...I think I read that in the old site or in a translation...it was something like that...

I think that:
Meta Knight
Snake
Sonic
Ike(maybe)
Wario(maybe)

are unlockable...

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
It Doesn't Matter.
Open Your Heart?!

Also, Sonic and Snake as starting characters wouldn't 'increase sales' because everyone knows they're in the game, and if you LIKE the game you'll probably want to unlock all the characters in it. No one's going to say, "Snake/Sonic aren't starters? **** playing that game then!"

Smash Ace
I bet half of the characters they've shown as newcomers are secret.
=2007=

skyblue

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai will end up revealing all (or virtually all) of the characters in the game, unlockable or not. Why wouldn't he? We all know there are going to be those people who take the game on release date and all of the characters would be spoiled online on the same day. I'm sure Sakurai would want to have the pleasure of being the ultimate source of information (I know I would). BTW, I'd say we're looking at ~18 starting characters.
And to all people who want Shadow or Dark Samus in Brawl: NO. They are way too similar to their counterparts to be in Brawl in my opinion. Remember, there are other entire series that deserve to be in Brawl. I'm gussing the final number of characters will be 35-40.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
People,

He's already said that he wants Snake to be unlockable.

With Sonic being hyped, 3rd party, and Mario's Rival, chances are he's unlockable too..
He said "it would be fitting" not that it was surely going to happen.

which in Sakurai laguage to japanese to english could mean a lot of things. He did say only starters would appear on the dojo and unlockables AFTER the game was released. That's why I think Sonic and Snake are 50/50 and the rest are all starters.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
Did nobody read the original Smash Brothers Dojo, when there were only eight characters shown, and Sakurai basically confirmed he was going to reveal all of the hidden characters?

EDIT: No basically about it, he came out and said it, exactly that, with zero ambiguity.

Hungry Gamer

Smash Apprentice
I personally feel that all revealed characters are starters. Just because Sakurai said Snake was unlockable, doesn't mean he is unlockable! Sakurai also said Brawl was being released on Dec. 3rd, look what happened. Besides why would he let Sonic be playable in a demo and not as a starter on the final game? Hype? Please...

Griffard

Smash Ace
with the whole starters and unlockable thing, i believe that we will see a different sort of way of going about unlocking chars. we may only start out with one or two per sse story line. like for example you start with mario, kirby, donkey kong, diddy kong. you unlock pit on the mario line, a princess on the kirby line. many characters will probably be unlocked by progressing through the storylines. if there is a "classic" mode then some chars may be able to be unlocked that way, but i think that major emphasis will be put on the storyline feel of sse

Top Bottom