• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I require assistance

Doomie

Smash Cadet
NNID
curyoschriz
3DS FC
1306-7597-1662
So, I've lost my DS, lately, so I've been forced to stop playing Smash. Even though I practice a **** ton every day, I feel like I'm definitely not getting any better. I tech (basic stuff), shield, roll, smash, tilt, etc. The basics. But, I wanna start getting into comp. I'm having a hard time picking a main. Roy or Ike. I'm really good at destroying people really easy at Ike. But I'm also really bad at this game, I've only won a single ****ing For Glory 1v1 match. Any tips to get better? To be honest, I like characters that are really power-y. Any recommendations? Tips? HELP ME, SMASHBOARDS

CCTANK93

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CCTANK93
3DS FC
4296-3062-4792
Honestly if you like power have you tried Captain Falcon? I feel like he could help you with his speed while also being really powerful on top. His combo game is pretty good and his punish game is top notch.

D

Deleted member 269706

As an Ike main, I can tell you this: it's a long road. It's gonna take you a while before you truly understand the character or how to properly use him in 1v1 combat. It's rough and can be very frustrating, I know, but you have to keep pushing forwards. I'd recommend learning two characters who vary in playstyle. Each one will teach you different aspects of the game. I for example played Ike and Rosalina. Ike taught me all about spacing and reads, whereas Rosalina taught me combos and set ups. Your skills will transition between characters. On top of that, watch other people play (just go on YouTube and watch some tourney sets with the characters you want to learn). See what they're doing to rack up damage, and note what moves they've avoiding. Start by trying to emulate their play, and as you get better, add your own flare to it. Good luck friend!

Doomie

Smash Cadet
NNID
curyoschriz
3DS FC
1306-7597-1662
bump maybe? sorry. thanks. i'm thinking of not playing ike anymore

CCTANK93

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CCTANK93
3DS FC
4296-3062-4792
bump maybe? sorry. thanks. i'm thinking of not playing ike anymore
Don't give up on your main. That's the worst thing you can do. I wanted to give up on Lucina a long time ago but I stuck with her and can now pretty much beat anyone with her. It just takes patience. I used to have a pretty bad W/L ratio until I found my style with her and now I have 1,000 plus wins with her. The best thing you can do is try, try again and you'll eventually figure out what works for your character. My friend is a Bowser main and he gives my Lucina a hard time. He had to practice a lot to get there but now we have a friendly rivalry with our favorite characters. Watch videos of your favorite characters being played at tournies, play with friend constantly (you'd be surprised how much that can help), and even though I personally think For Glory isn't that great at showing where a person's skill level is, it will still help you get accustomed to various scenarios and situations until you can eventually improve. Or if you aren't feeling confident enough to tackle 1 on 1, pick Team battle. It's actually a less stressful way to practice since you will have someone backing you up. Sorry for my long winded post but I just don't want you to give up.

Doomie

Smash Cadet
NNID
curyoschriz
3DS FC
1306-7597-1662
Don't give up on your main. That's the worst thing you can do. I wanted to give up on Lucina a long time ago but I stuck with her and can now pretty much beat anyone with her. It just takes patience. I used to have a pretty bad W/L ratio until I found my style with her and now I have 1,000 plus wins with her. The best thing you can do is try, try again and you'll eventually figure out what works for your character. My friend is a Bowser main and he gives my Lucina a hard time. He had to practice a lot to get there but now we have a friendly rivalry with our favorite characters. Watch videos of your favorite characters being played at tournies, play with friend constantly (you'd be surprised how much that can help), and even though I personally think For Glory isn't that great at showing where a person's skill level is, it will still help you get accustomed to various scenarios and situations until you can eventually improve. Or if you aren't feeling confident enough to tackle 1 on 1, pick Team battle. It's actually a less stressful way to practice since you will have someone backing you up. Sorry for my long winded post but I just don't want you to give up.
alright. thanks for the help, guys

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Start off with the characters that are actually meant for beginners. Off the top of my head, I would say any of the following would be suitable:

:4mario::4kirby::4yoshi::4link::4littlemac::4lucina::4lucario::4pit::4miibrawl:

Since you mentioned liking power, :4link: and :4littlemac: might be to your tastes (and :4lucario:, but only when he is at high damage).

:4link: has some extremely powerful sword strikes. IIRC the second strike of his forward Smash launches further than any other Forward Smash in the game, and his Dash Attack is basically a fourth Smash Attack with how far it launches. He's on the slow side, but has one or two nimble moves like is N-air which is really good IMO, and his specials focus on projectiles which will help you learn those, as his projectiles are easy to understand.

:4littlemac: is terrible in the air, but that's why I think he is beginner friendly - he is really good on the ground, so you can just focus on getting good at the neutral and your ground fundamentals with him. He also has a lot of moves with super armour, which basically means that if you get hit while using certain moves, you won't flinch and will still go through with the attack. This means Little Mac can afford to make more mistakes than other characters, and can actually get rewarded in situations where he, quite frankly, messed up and deserved to be hit, but that super armour gets him out A-OK. He also has a counter and a move that's really good for jumping through projectiles. And of course, his KO Punch (which he can use once his Power Meter is full), makes for a great clutch mechanic, and can get you back in the game if your opponent takes an early lead. In general, Little Mac should never be fighting in the air and his ability to recover is poor, but he is really fast, really strong, and can shrug off attacks that would otherwise have been the end of him.

Also, :4drmario:, while he needs to be unlocked, he is basically a slower and heavier, but more powerful version of :4mario:. His recovery is poor and his combo ability does not compare regular Mario, but Dr. Mario has strength that rivals the likes of :4dk: and :4ganondorf:. So after trying Mario for a bit, I would recommend unlocking Dr. Mario and giving him a shot, since you like power characters.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
It might be worth checking out the Mains Advice thread too. I think the people who post there probably would have some tips.

I'd give some advice myself, but I'm afraid I'm pretty mediocre at Smash, haha.

Doomie

Smash Cadet
NNID
curyoschriz
3DS FC
1306-7597-1662
i'm actually not half bad at the game (i can easily beat level 9s. everyone else is still way better). i don't think embracing my tendency to not do **** in the air isn't really good, so i'm scratching little mac off the list of possible mains

Top Bottom