• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS I really wish the AI was different...

WrappedInBlack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PyroJayBlack
3DS FC
1736-3220-0909
Is it me or have the CPU fighters always been easy? I mean like lvl. 9 is as high as they go and they're basically the definition of stupid. I kinda wish the lvl. 9s that we have now were really the lvl. 1s and that the non-amibo lvls went up to 15 at least. What do you think?

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
It's not easy making CPU's the are difficult rather than broken.

Last edited:

King Radical

Smash Rookie
Yeah I think its just a really difficult thing making good AI for the type of game that smash is. Either its difficult or the smash devs are just genuinely terrible at it. I have found I can reliably beat lvl 9's in the demo without moving (I allow myself to recover, attack, shield, and sidestep and nothing else) and I'm not even that good a smasher. The project M devs did a decent job of making the AI more aggressive and technical but they still make a lot of colossally stupid mistakes so I'm forced to conclude that this type of game is just really difficult to make AI for. I guess this is somewhat due to the fact that smash is very heavily based in reading people and strategizing on the fly against thinking human beings which is something computers are notoriously terrible at doing. Smash 4's AI has a tendency to "input read" , as i've heard a lot of people describe it, in order to counter-act this but that doesn't really do the job all that well as the computer still is unable to predict my strategy, it just makes it counter-act the immediate threat due to its knowledge of my inputs. This means the AI is extremely punishable in general which i'm finding is definitely true (ie their air dodging strategies). In short it seems like it must be a complex problem and I have no real advice on how to solve it. I am, however, very happy to complain about it because I am a video game forum poster and that is my sworn and sacred duty.

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
I don't think it's the fact that the AI are dumb, but it's that the AI cannot learn. We can.
We can understand what the AI will do by monitoring them. Even if we don't actively study them, we pick up on what they do subconsciously. It's not right for a simple lvl.9 programmed bot to have the ability to learn.

Amiibos, on the other hand are dedicated AI that DO have capability to learn because other protocols aren't in the way. One of their top priorities is to find out how someone plays and adapt.

And that is why people will buy them.

We also just want to have a Link figurine on our shelves

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The Lvl.9 AI does actually learn and adapt. If you keep doing the same thing to them, they will punish you for it. However, I think they take too long to make these deductions, and let you do the same thing enough for you to get hits in on them.

They're very solid in FFAs though (apart from the fact that they don't know how to use the Special Flag), which may speak for the regular AI being built for FFAs. Amiibos can probably be trained especially for 1v1 practice or whatever you need.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Ill give you an advice I used when i started playing melee..

When you have figured out how to beat AI, simply fight without thinking how to counter them and youll have some fun. I mean... in melee, the AI was notorious for having insane reflexes and was good at reflecting beams.... but if you played passively waiting for them... you would destroy because they just too stupid.

So if you wanna have fun with them.... dont exploit their weakness and just play in a crazy manner. Maybe that way ull enjoy it a little more, because they will try to abuse their insane reflexes and maybe, just maybe, pose a bigger thread

Last edited:

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
The Lvl.9 AI does actually learn and adapt. If you keep doing the same thing to them, they will punish you for it.
In one match at a time, yes. But once that match is done, they will reset back to their default when you fight them again.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Beginners need to be able to learn the ropes without much resistance, which is basically why level 1 is designed to mostly be a punching bag. Anyone who says that level 9 is too easy is most likely a very experienced player, as just because one player can easily beat a level 9 doesn't mean that the other person can pull it off; it takes a lot of time, depending on who you're using.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Smash 4's AI seems to actually occasionally read my roll-dodges. Especially Megaman, who frequently throws out empty Down Smashes just out of range... and frequently ends up landing them because just after he initiates Down Smash, I roll behind him because my reaction time isn't good enough for me to not do so (unlike the 1-frame reaction AI). In other words, I'm about to roll behind him, and he actually starts the Down Smash very slightly before I input the roll.

Last edited:

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Making the perfect AI that works for 49 fighters is something that would take almost a extra 7 months to do and then computer can still make mistakes.

If u want to fight the most human like AI then fight level 7 computers. They are more aggressive and don't always do perfect blocks. Its the closest thing u will fight to a real human.

Don't fight level 9 computers they will force you to learn bad habits in PvP

Last edited:

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
AIs are predictable, so that's why you may find them easy.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
Hmm I sorta wish there was some kind of record feature from Street Fighter, where you do certain moves and the game records certain situations in which you want to practice in.

Personally, I wouldnt mind a "dumb" CPU opponent if such a feature existed.

Top Bottom