• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I really wish Palutena was designed/balanced around a normal moveset

Dinoman96

Smash Master
When it was first announced that she was going to have unique custom moves, I was on board and really excited. I thought it was an interesting way to represent how selecting powers worked in KI Uprising, and I thought it would make her a unique and diverse character.

Things began to go downhill here when it turns out all custom moves were locked out in online play with randoms. Well, I thought it was pretty crappy that Palutena’s defining feature as a character isn’t even usable online, but I’m sure her default kit would be interesting, right? Oops, it turns out they picked the most generic set of specials they could use. Which, on paper, would make sense, considering the point of her character is to customize her to make her more interesting…but of course, that takes us back to the issue of the fact that you can’t use customs online, so yeah.

Okay, so her default set is pretty bland, but hopefully the rest of her moveset is strong…oops, basically all of her grounded A moves are extremely laggy and punishable, and she generally lacks easy ways of killing. Basically, she’s a character that relies incredibly on her custom specials to be really viable. And once again, you can’t use custom moves in For Glory, so she might as well not even exist there (She’s by far amongst the most rarest characters you’ll ever encounter here). But at least tournaments and such will use customs, and she’ll be strong there, right? Welp, turns out custom moves are getting more unpopular by the minute and will probably be banned in the meta later on.

I’ve accepted the fact that after EVO, custom moves will probably be banned, and I kind of see why, but I think it’s a real shame we pretty much have to sacrifice the overall viability of Palutena and as well as the Mii Fighters. I don’t really blame the community for this as much as I do with Sakurai considering he basically designed these characters in a vacuum, unaware of the fact that character customization wasn'’t implemented very well and not much people really want to work with it. So now these four characters just don’t have much of a future in competitive Smash. Truly a shame. Palutena would have been much better off having a regular moveset than having a default bland set and peripheral special moves she can’t even use.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Default Palutena is the new Falcondorf.

I jest.

Isn't this thread very similar to the other thread that was posted mere days ago, though?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Default Palutena is the new Falcondorf.

I jest.

Isn't this thread very similar to the other thread that was posted mere days ago, though?
JayWon's thread is more about ideas on how to keep Palutena's customs alive. This topic is more about how Palutena shouldn't of been designed around them in the first place.

Top Bottom