• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U I really think there should be an update to improve stage builder

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
The stage builder is pretty cool, and has some great features, and in theory it should be amazing, but there are a crap load of limitations with its mechanics. Before i even go into the addons that would be nice, let me talk about that piece:

One simple thing that absolutely 100% needs to be added is the ability to select a piece of stage that you built, and move it/re-size it as you please. Its completely impossible to create a stage because if you make any mistakes on size or placement of something you drew, you have to start over! It takes ALL the fun out of making a stage and is a real problem.

Another thing is creating grabeable ledges. Like seriously, why does a ledge have to be shaped a specific way for it to be grabable? You should be able to pick ANY ledge on your stage and decide on it being grabable or not. PERIOD

Also, you should be able to either select "background item" or should be able to rotate the stage in any way you please when drawing so that you can give your stages some life in the background. Having new stages to fight on is great, but without any background added to your main stage it becomes very bland and boring. What if i want to make a castle, or cave, or ship based stage? I cant do that cause i can only draw a foreground, and a castle in the foreground really doesn't make sense to fight on. Background drawings wouldn't affect gameplay at all, they would just be aesthetic, and i really dont think this would be too difficult to do.

Although those are the main issues with the general mechanics, I would go as far as to say that the mechanics should work as in depth as a paint program. I should be able to draw and erase anything i want just like drawing a picture in paint (obviously this cant be 100% perfect because I'm sure there are some kind of complications with certain drawings showing up as a stage - but something can surely be done to emulate a paint program as closely as possible).

Now for other addons:

We really should be able to choose any existing stage platelet that already exists. I should be able to make a Metroid stage, or Mario stage or whatever stage i want using different platelets. This would really make stage creating more fun, and a lot less boring (seeing the same 3 backgrounds over and over can be extremely boring)!

Stage hazards. The hazards and platforms already provided are okay, and should be available to all stages, BUT if my above suggestion was incorporated, each platelet could also have its own stage hazards. If I made a Mario stage, I should be able to add warp pipes, or weight sensing platforms, if I make a StarFox stage, I should be able to add airwings, Zelda stage - tornadoes etc etc. These are just some examples which would make level editing a lott of fun.

Anyway, overall the smash bros stage editor needs a lot of work i think, and with the future release of Super Mario Maker, I really think it's time to give the smash bros stage editor some new features to allow stage creators to really have some fun putting things together.

Thoughts? If any? lol

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
I completely agree. I was so psyched about the custom stage builder until I found out how hard it is to use. It's honestly discouraging.

All of what you stated would be welcomed additions to the current stage builder. I think this is a huge opportunity for Nintendo to make money by releasing DLC stage builder theme packs!!!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
They could add more backgrounds based on games like Uprising and Captain Toad. Imagine being able to fight on Grima or a giant Pikmin as platforms.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
I can't really go into depth as I haven't actually experienced the Super Smash Bros. 4 Stage Builder yet, but I read that it removed certain stage component choices that were present in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I would hope that an update could bring back/restore those parts (basically take all of the good stuff from Brawl's Stage Builder, including stage component visuals if possible)..

Also, more backgrounds would be much appreciated! The 3 Stage Builder backgrounds of Super Smash Bros. Brawl need to return, and I feel like some of the Target Test/Subspace Emissary backgrounds could be put to good use..

LiX

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I completely agree here.
When I bought Smash, one of the first things I did was opening the stage builder and what I saw did not at all convince me.
The SSBB stage builder was a bit old-styled of course, but it had many cool options that Snash4's builder lacks. A mix of both would be perfect.

Also, I am all for DLCs and paying Nintendo for it's awesome game, but I think a few tweaks and addons to the stage builder should come for free.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Id agree that it SHOULD be for free with one of the general updates. But who knows what they'll do with it. Id be ok to pay for it, but it would need to have a lot of content for that!

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
I just suggested paid DLC so that we sakuri has more of a reason to keep the development staff together longer. He only has them for so long...

Khao

Smash Lord
I just want background foreground layers.

I want to add a ****ing tower in the background that's holding all my platforms.

I want to put a wall behind the playable area so a certain area looks like an underground cave.

I want cool pillars in the front of every characters.

I want to draw stuff in front of certain areas for better decoration.

Seriously, if we could have layers, I'd make stages all the ****ing time.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The stage builder is pretty cool, and has some great features, and in theory it should be amazing, but there are a crap load of limitations with its mechanics. Before i even go into the addons that would be nice, let me talk about that piece:

One simple thing that absolutely 100% needs to be added is the ability to select a piece of stage that you built, and move it/re-size it as you please. Its completely impossible to create a stage because if you make any mistakes on size or placement of something you drew, you have to start over! It takes ALL the fun out of making a stage and is a real problem.

Another thing is creating grabeable ledges. Like seriously, why does a ledge have to be shaped a specific way for it to be grabable? You should be able to pick ANY ledge on your stage and decide on it being grabable or not. PERIOD

Also, you should be able to either select "background item" or should be able to rotate the stage in any way you please when drawing so that you can give your stages some life in the background. Having new stages to fight on is great, but without any background added to your main stage it becomes very bland and boring. What if i want to make a castle, or cave, or ship based stage? I cant do that cause i can only draw a foreground, and a castle in the foreground really doesn't make sense to fight on. Background drawings wouldn't affect gameplay at all, they would just be aesthetic, and i really dont think this would be too difficult to do.

Although those are the main issues with the general mechanics, I would go as far as to say that the mechanics should work as in depth as a paint program. I should be able to draw and erase anything i want just like drawing a picture in paint (obviously this cant be 100% perfect because I'm sure there are some kind of complications with certain drawings showing up as a stage - but something can surely be done to emulate a paint program as closely as possible).

Now for other addons:

We really should be able to choose any existing stage platelet that already exists. I should be able to make a Metroid stage, or Mario stage or whatever stage i want using different platelets. This would really make stage creating more fun, and a lot less boring (seeing the same 3 backgrounds over and over can be extremely boring)!

Stage hazards. The hazards and platforms already provided are okay, and should be available to all stages, BUT if my above suggestion was incorporated, each platelet could also have its own stage hazards. If I made a Mario stage, I should be able to add warp pipes, or weight sensing platforms, if I make a StarFox stage, I should be able to add airwings, Zelda stage - tornadoes etc etc. These are just some examples which would make level editing a lott of fun.

Anyway, overall the smash bros stage editor needs a lot of work i think, and with the future release of Super Mario Maker, I really think it's time to give the smash bros stage editor some new features to allow stage creators to really have some fun putting things together.

Thoughts? If any? lol
This is pretty good, but I think it's missing some things.
Here is my list of improvements that you haven't already said:
1: The ability to add two types of water; Shallow water that players will splash around, but otherwise doesn't affect anything, and deep water that can players can swim, and drown in.
2: The ability to select Transforming stage as opposed to Small, Medium or Large. This way you could create even more diverse stages by giving more than one layout.
3: The ability to add ladders, and spikes. I don't understand why this isn't a thing now. They were in the last stage builder, and it's not like the two things are absent from the game, as both are in Palutena's Temple.
4: The ability to add stage hazards from other stages like Metal Face, and Tornados. (not restricted to a theme like you suggested)
5: Elaborating on the background-foreground drawing mechanic that you suggested, You should be able to add in the background from all of the Omega Stages.
6: The ability to draw from a grab able ledges. The most frustrating thing I have found is that I have to draw an extra platform right next to the ledge so I can draw freely.
7: The ability to select all of the floor options on any background. I hate when the background style I was going for doesn't have the platform style I need.
8: The ability to add breakable, icy, moving (Like in Big Blue), Tilting, and falling terrain.
9: The ability to change the style of the moving platforms, and have them pause when they reach their destination before moving back.
10: The ability to create a moving stage like Mushroomy Kingdom.
If they want to make a great stage builder, we should be able to go completely nuts with it. If I want to have the Yellow Devil attack players on a replica of the Pirate Ship stage, I should be able to do it dang it!

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
well k we can go into how much stuff can be added. A LOT more stuff can be added lol. I was trying to be a bit more realistic... dont forget, sakurai likes to arbitrairily put limitations on everything lol

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
well k we can go into how much stuff can be added. A LOT more stuff can be added lol. I was trying to be a bit more realistic... dont forget, sakurai likes to arbitrairily put limitations on everything lol
Well it is a thread for discussing improvements for the stage builder. lol. I honestly don't think most of my improvements are too unreasonable. At the very least we should get the ladders, spikes, icy terrain, and remove the theme lock on the platform styles because all of them are in the game already, and wouldn't be too much work to translate to the stage builder. (The ice could take a while, but at least the mechanics are there.)
As for the hazards, I'm not sure they would add stage bosses, but the smaller hazards could probably be put in the stage builder.
The transforming stages, scrolling stages, and water, however, are probably not realistic. (The water could work though.)

That's kinda all I wanted to say on the matter. It's not something I would talk for hours about, but I do think it was worth saying.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
The only reason I said that was cause I have doubts about even my things having any chance of being incorporated lol. I'm not trying to bash your ideas :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd like more background options like using the backgrounds of all Omega stages.

I'd like more objects to design the stage like:

• Ladders (it was in Brawl Stage Builder)
  • Bumpers (like the one in Peach's Castle 64)
  • Drop Blocks (it was in Brawl Stage Builder)
  • Conveyor Belts (like the ones in Pokemon Stadium 2)
  • Spikes (like Magma except it gives 15% damage)
  • Spike Balls (like the ones in Palutena's Temple)
  • Danger Zones (like the ones in The Great Cave Offensive; it can be either spikes or magma)
  • Rotating Platforms (it was in Brawl Stage Builder)
  • Ice (like Magma except it's slippery)
  • Ice Blocks (it was in Brawl Stage Builder)

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I'd like more background options like using the backgrounds of all Omega stages.

I'd like more objects to design the stage like:

• Ladders (it was in Brawl Stage Builder)
  • Bumpers (like the one in Peach's Castle 64)
  • Drop Blocks (it was in Brawl Stage Builder)
  • Conveyor Belts (like the ones in Pokemon Stadium 2)
  • Spikes (like Magma except it gives 15% damage)
  • Spike Balls (like the ones in Palutena's Temple)
  • Danger Zones (like the ones in The Great Cave Offensive; it can be either spikes or magma)
  • Rotating Platforms (it was in Brawl Stage Builder)
  • Ice (like Magma except it's slippery)
  • Ice Blocks (it was in Brawl Stage Builder)
agreed

AJL

Smash Cadet
NNID
jplacura
3DS FC
3110-5257-7666
There needs to be a way to draw straight lines. Or I'm stupid and haven't figured it out yet.

Stage Builder really needs premade parts like in Brawl to make it more interesting and easier for people who aren't good at drawing stages out.
I'd use it more often if it had some of this stuff, but so far all I've used Stage Builder for is random troll stages and 999 combo boxes for training mode.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
There needs to be a way to draw straight lines. Or I'm stupid and haven't figured it out yet.

Stage Builder really needs premade parts like in Brawl to make it more interesting and easier for people who aren't good at drawing stages out.
I'd use it more often if it had some of this stuff, but so far all I've used Stage Builder for is random troll stages and 999 combo boxes for training mode.
there is a way to draw straight lines lol. But its still annoying and hard to use

You just make one point, and then make another point and itll draw a straight line for you.
Theres also a way to pull up a grid which makes it easier to draw straight lines.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I agree. But I doubt it given that we have a very rigid DLC structure of characters and stages. And considering they want to maximize profits by making things available for both Wii U and 3DS (characters and stages), all of their attention will go towards that.

Granted, this isn't tournament mode, where the basic infrastructure needed to be built and they didn't think of anything else, but I doubt any updates will be too extensive.

Top Bottom